Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #1

Winterizing my motorhome.

I normally run the pink stuff through my system. I let my ice maker run till I get pink slush. I had a friend blow my lines out this year and he said that was it. I ask him what about the water in the line to the ice maker? He could not answer me. I didn’t take the chance. I ran the pink stuff. Can I use the blowout system and not hurt my water line to the ice maker?
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 06:18 AM   #2

Maybe, ours had a valve that was accessible through the outside panel. The line to the ice maker could be removed by sliding the collar into the valve. When blowing out, open valve. The line is small enough to leave open as you cycle through all the other lines inside. I did connect about a 1 foot piece of plastic ice maker line to the valve to be sure water runs outside and then remove it. Reconnect the ice maker when done blowing out all the lines.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your Open Road has a Whirlpool fridge as mine does, there is a way to blow out the lines to water dispenser and the ice maker separate from using antifreeze throughout the rest of the fresh water system. I first blown out the line to the water dispenser (remove water filter first), and then, with the freezer at operating temperature, manually induce the ice maker to go through one or more ice harvesting cycles to clear that line of any water as well. Once completed, you can shut off the water line to the fridge and winterize the reminder of the fresh water system if that is your choice.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
I normally run the pink stuff through my system. I let my ice maker run till I get pink slush. I had a friend blow my lines out this year and he said that was it. I ask him what about the water in the line to the ice maker? He could not answer me. I didn’t take the chance. I ran the pink stuff. Can I use the blowout system and not hurt my water line to the ice maker?
Water trapped in any space will expand when it freezes. If there is no expansion room it will burst the space.

Ice makers, toilets, outside taps, water filters, and most important the water pump chambers and filters can all trap water. Either blow them out or pump in RV antifreeze.

See instructions for the ice maker for better instructions. For residential refers, you may need to contact the manufacture for instructions. RV refers may have instructions in their operating instructions.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is the process that I use to blow the water out of the lines for my Whirlpool residential ice maker, when I winterize... It will work the same to blow out the antifreeze from the ice maker as well...

Go to the freezer and pull off the cover from the end of the ice maker. All ice makers for residential refrigerators are basically the same (at least that has been my experience). Take a short piece of wire, place one end of the wire in the "L" port and the other in the "V" port and that will open the water solenoid for the ice maker. Depending on your model, you may also have to either tape or hold the door switch closed for it to operate. This basically opens up the valve the same as turning on a sink faucet. You can apply air and blow out the antifreeze and not have to wait until the unit cycles several times...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ice makers, toilets, washing machines, etc. all need to be freeze-protected (winterized). It doesn't make any difference whether the process is done using anti-freeze (pink stuff) or by blowing air thru the lines, but it has to be done everywhere there is water in an enclosed space. The shortcoming here is not air vs pink stuff, but rather your friend's incomplete winterizing job. He should have opened the ice maker valve to allow air to blow through it, just like he [presumably] did the faucets and shower and toilet.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
If your Open Road has a Whirlpool fridge as mine does, there is a way to blow out the lines to water dispenser and the ice maker separate from using antifreeze throughout the rest of the fresh water system. I first blown out the line to the water dispenser (remove water filter first), and then, with the freezer at operating temperature, manually induce the ice maker to go through one or more ice harvesting cycles to clear that line of any water as well. Once completed, you can shut off the water line to the fridge and winterize the reminder of the fresh water system if that is your choice.

Mine is a Maytag.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Ice makers, toilets, washing machines, etc. all need to be freeze-protected (winterized). It doesn't make any difference whether the process is done using anti-freeze (pink stuff) or by blowing air thru the lines, but it has to be done everywhere there is water in an enclosed space. The shortcoming here is not air vs pink stuff, but rather your friend's incomplete winterizing job. He should have opened the ice maker valve to allow air to blow through it, just like he [presumably] did the faucets and shower and toilet.

Where is the ice maker valve? Maytag residential
Old 12-06-2022, 06:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Where is the ice maker valve? Maytag residential
Look in your user manual. The instructions will be in there somewhere. On our Maytag there is a jumper wire needed. It was a pain to find it the first time, but it is a simple task now, though we usually have to make a new wire each time (where does that durn thing hide?).
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chances are that the ice maker is the same version that I mentioned in my earlier post...

Take a look at this YouTube video, and it will better explain what I was talking about earlier... If you use air or antifreeze, and your ice maker looks like the one in the video, then this will be the easiest way to do what you are wanting to do.

Ice Maker Winterizing
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Denis123 check your ice maker manual for a test procedure, if so when blowing out your lines with air using the test procedure you will get the water out of the line. I do this with my unit.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #12

I looks like you have some good responses. I would just make sure the larger feed piping is really well blown out first , if you plan to use air in the future. What is too small amount of residual water in a 1/2" pipe to burst it could then fill solenoid valve and 1/4" lines. I might try to adapt air to blow it out separately . It's how we do my friends absorption fridge to keep from making pink slush in the ice maker. This is pretty easy from vent door. An OEM residential install may be trickier. Then he/we flush fresh water before uncapping the feed line and hooking it back up. May not apply in your case but there's a bypass hose for ice maker/drinking tap filter we use as well.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, winter, winterizing