Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2022, 06:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Winterizing with air, psi questions

I am winterizing my motorhome by blowing out the lines with an air compressor. Using a Viair 450P-RV with a winterization kit. I’ve set the output pressure to about 45 psi. When I squeeze the trigger the pressure jumps to the 45 psi level then immediately drops to about 10 psi. Is the normal? I caould understand this if the lines were empty but I am just starting to winterize so I would assume they have water in them. If I hold the trigger at the now lower number is it still blowing water out of the lines? Am I doing anything wrong?
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2022, 11:55 PM   #2

That small compressor does not provide enough volume of air to do what you want.

If you get a portable air tank and let it fill the tank to 30psi then use the tank to blow the lines that should work
Old 12-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
That small compressor does not provide enough volume of air to do what you want.

If you get a portable air tank and let it fill the tank to 30psi then use the tank to blow the lines that should work
Using this compressor is recommended by The RV Geeks on their website. They use the same compressor to winterize their 43’ motorhome. I may use my motorhome’s onboard compressor.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #4

If the low point drains are open, or if the water heater is not bypassed, the pressurized air will simply go out through them. After draining it, bypass the HWH.
When I use pressure air, I first open low point drains to get much of the water to gravity drain out. Then I close them, and blow pressure air, opening one faucet at a time. You’ll only lose as much pressure as what comes out of the open faucet. After all faucets blown, reopen low point drains and blow that water out. Don’t forget to blow the toilet valve, outside shower, and inside shower.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Psi isn't important, but air volume (cfm) is critical for pushing the water out. A small compressor simply cannot deliver enough cfm to push the water very well. 10 psi will move water, but the reason for that dramatic pressure drop is that your compressor couldn't supply the air volume needed to fill the pipes and push out the water.
Bottom line: you need a compressor with a high cfm rating (doesn't have to be high pressure - 30 psi is plenty.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflyer View Post
Using this compressor is recommended by The RV Geeks on their website. They use the same compressor to winterize their 43’ motorhome. I may use my motorhome’s onboard compressor.

Don't use the onboard compressor, it's oil lubed and oil does end up in the air system, you don't want it in your plumbing. They don't really make a lot of air either. It's easy for inexperienced drivers to over tax the compressor just with the brakes.

The 400P Viair outputs 1.64 cfm at 50 psi. You need to maintain 50 psi and at least 5-6 cfm to blow the plumbing out.

If the RV Geeks are using that compressor they're not blowing the lines, they're taking advantage of the fact moving air will evaporate water faster than still air. it will eventually work, but it could take hours, especially in a big motor home with a bath and a half, washer, ice maker, etc.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflyer View Post
The MH compressed air system is not a high volume capacity system.
There is a new post on the Spartan forum about a safety recall, which involves the air brake system and inadequate storage tank size(volume) now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I wrote that post on the recall. Glad someone read it!! When there’s no responses you never know if it was helpful or not.

To the O/P here, I’ve used the 450p to blow out my lines. Same observations as you and some of the other posters. It moves even less air than the 400 - the 450’s strength is duty cycle not cfm. I added RV plumbing antifreeze after blowing it all out just to be safe. Best of luck!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:21 PM   #9

I don't use the Viair, but here is the video in question. I do only use air to winterize and it worked fine last year in -20 temps. I cycle through all lines 3 times to make sure I get all the water out. Antifreeze only goes in P-traps, toilets and the washing machine pump. I don't have an icemaker.
https://rvlife.com/how-to-winterize-...ut-antifreeze/
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, winter, winterizing