Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Winter's Coming... ??

And being our first winter with our motor home, do we need to:
Add extra roof coating to the roof?
Cover or not cover?
Cover just the A/C?
And do the other various vents fare well uncovered, ie: bathroom, shower, etc?

We're in SW MI, lots of snow and cold here. And we have an '88 Mallard 27' Class C ~ which we're not even ready to put away for the year!! Probably be camping until threat of pump/hoses freezing! 😉 😊

Thanks so much for all your mentoring! We've learned so much from you all!! 😄😄
BarkerLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You have a lot of variables here. Is your roof in good shape to start with? If so then there is no need to add another coat to it. You'll get a lot of different opinions on covering the MH. I personally don't. The cover is heavy and a hassle to put on and take off. Impossible to do by myself! If your vents are tight (no leaks) then you don't need to cover them. I don't cover my AC units but I do make sure the drains are open for drainage. If you are going to cover it. Make sure that you get a nice tight fit. You don't want the cover rubbing against the MH it will scratch it.
Those are my reason not to cover. I'm sure someone will be along to give their reason why you should cover.

Best of luck with your choice.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If possible, find covered storage with power. Makes winter a lot more tolerable.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mother nature has a very nice roof covering she will apply to your roof some evening.

It's free and looks very pretty.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

Build a polebarn, if you can. You won't regret it. I told the Boss, no polebarn, no RV. We have a RV. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

Thank you for your thoughts!
We'll be hunting for the a/c drain Tony, so we can make sure to have it open. Thanks for mentioning that!!

And unfortunately no room in our driveway and no access to the backyard, for covered storage. :(

Arch, most that we've seen around here last Winter take advantage of Mother Nature's free cover! . lol!!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!
Diana
BarkerLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Diana, not sure if you are doing your own maintenance or if you're having it done. One way or the other, a very thorough examination of all roof seams would be an excellent plan prior to winter. Then deal with the results as required. Make sure you go into the snow and ice season all sealed up/waterproof! If that's just not possible, covering it would be a good plan. Any way you like, you do not want to discover any new surprises when you re-enter it next spring....

Tags
winter