Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 AM   #1

Wireless Backup Camera

We own a Winnebago Micro Minnie. I am seriously considering installing a wireless back up camera above the rear relectors at the back of the RV. It will require drilling screw holes into the RV exterior wall. Is there any concern/danger to the structure of the RV?
Does anyone have a recommend brand of backup camera? I am looking at REAR VIEW SAFETY model RVS155W. Thank you.
brgeer0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a cheep e-bay wireless camera / monitor on my ole 30ft Mirada. I wired it into the running lights for power.

I ultimately rewired it to do away with the wireless.

I tow a Camry on a dolly and have TPMS sensors in the dolly tires and in the rear tires of the Camry. This allowed me to monitor the dolly and Camry tires while traveling. Unfortunately, the wireless camera transmitter was interfering with the TPMS transmitters and I wasn't getting reliable tire pressures. After I discovered the interference problem, I re-wired the camera and did away with the wireless part.

Rear View Camera – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

The rear view use is somewhat limited. I can keep an eye on the toad, make sure the toad lights work. Its good when we back into a parking spot as I adjusted it so I just barely see my rear bumper, so I know where I'm at. AND, on the very rare occasion when I pass someone on the road, I use the mirrors before changing lanes, but also verify in the monitor that the toad is clear also.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gotta add my experiences. We bought a nice wireless camera kit from John deere and wired it to the taillights and we always drive with our lights on so the camera for rear facing was suppose to work almost always. The reverse camera worked very little too much distance to monitor. Well the 7 in monitor was very bright and clear and we loved it, could see all traffic except when the was interference, which was about 60%of the time. When it either it was great when it didn't you had to go back to your mirrors. I even put an extension cable on it to get the receiver antenna closer to came. Would I recommend a wireless camera. No. My present coach has a factory reset view with side view that come in with turn signals. The whole system is totally worthless. So I hope I helped you some. I've given up and rely on my mirrors. Have fun rvn
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a Voyager wireless camera on our fiver. Use it like a rear view mirror. Very seldom have any interference, would not go without one ever again.

Tags
camera