RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Wireless hotspot

I have researched routers until blood was coming from my eyes. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
I currently have the Winegard Connect 2 on the roof. I can connect that to either of our phones or MiFi hotspot as each runs up to it's limit. Problem for me is that I can't stand the Winegard, as it constantly disconnects, and sometimes disappears as a wireless connection for up to 3 or 4 minutes, before I can reconnect.

So I started to search for a router that can connect wireless to any of our hotspot devices (I guess it's acting as a bridge??). I can't find one. The ones I did find, require I insert a SIM card.

I KNOW some folks here have already climbed this mountain. So I'm asking:
How ?

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

I have a small pepwave Surf-on-the-go router that will pick up a signal and retransmit it and doesn't require the sim be inserted. You can also use just about any wifi booster, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. The pepwave has a portal where you can select the wifi device to connect through but it's not the easiest to navigate to change the signal. (it's not rocket science but I sometimes have to restart it multiple times to switch from one to the other)

Old 03-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

There are satellite, cellular LTE, and local wifi sysytems that connect to the internet. Each of these is a little different.

Cellular LTE can have a booster and roof antennae that receives and transmits weak cell LTE signals, boosts signal, and rebroadcasts for short distances to your cellular devices. The cellular device could be a cell phone. It could be a cellular hot spot. The individual devices need sim cards. The booster needs notification to the cell company.

Next, some hot spot routers are cell LTE devices themselves. They communicate with cell towers just like cell phones. These routers need a sim card of their own. They may have roof antennae. Local individual devices connect to the router using WiFi.

There are also satellite systems. These usually require a dish antennae and communicate with your local WiFi devices.

Finally there is a new satellite system coming online beginning next year. I know only a little about it. Wait and see.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #4

Assuming the drop is between your router and the MiFi and not cellular drop you need a router that acts as a gateway not a bridge.

Checkout the King wiFimax router, it should do what you want.

It will log onto your hotspot and then share that connection out to whatever connects to it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Assuming the drop is between your router and the MiFi and not cellular drop you need a router that acts as a gateway not a bridge.

Checkout the King wiFimax router, it should do what you want.

It will log onto your hotspot and then share that connection out to whatever connects to it.

Thank you. I found and ordered the King. It's amazing the amount of info on this site.

I did not do any of my searches for an extender. That did the trick.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WIFI

Just spent 4 months in Texas. Prior to going, 3 months, ordered and had home internet shut off to see how it worked. Worked great for 2 TV's, laptop, and WIFI for smartphone. No problem with speed and no data cap. Comes from Sprint, billed by FMCA, and is $49.99 per month. Would recommend.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grimsle View Post
Just spent 4 months in Texas. Prior to going, 3 months, ordered and had home internet shut off to see how it worked. Worked great for 2 TV's, laptop, and WIFI for smartphone. No problem with speed and no data cap. Comes from Sprint, billed by FMCA, and is $49.99 per month. Would recommend.

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried switching to Sprint and had to cancel. There was no usable signal where we are.

I did order the King WiFi extender. I'm hoping it works better than the Winegard Connect.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Surprised no one mentioned the WiFi Ranger line of products. They’ve been doing what you want to do for over a decade.

The feature you called a bridge is “WiFi As WAN” and it means it can use a WiFi signal to connect to an WAN or wide area network. Basically it works like connecting to an Ethernet cable only WiFi replaces that cable.

With a router from WiFi Ranger you can use campground WiFi, MiFi hotspot or phone hotspot or all three at the same time. And, you can connect MiFi devices to the router with a usb cable, as well. Plus, there are multiple Ethernet ports on the router, too.

It’s super easy to use and not very expensive. $80 to $160 depending on the level you buy.

I’ve had mine for many years and wouldn’t use my RV without it.

https://wifiranger.com/converge/indoor-routers/
Old 04-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Surprised no one mentioned the WiFi Ranger line of products. They’ve been doing what you want to do for over a decade.

The feature you called a bridge is “WiFi As WAN” and it means it can use a WiFi signal to connect to an WAN or wide area network. Basically it works like connecting to an Ethernet cable only WiFi replaces that cable.

With a router from WiFi Ranger you can use campground WiFi, MiFi hotspot or phone hotspot or all three at the same time. And, you can connect MiFi devices to the router with a usb cable, as well. Plus, there are multiple Ethernet ports on the router, too.

I’ve had mine for many years and wouldn’t use my RV without it.

https://wifiranger.com/converge/indoor-routers/
Thanks for being a WiFiRanger customer!

It's worth noting that the new Converge line of WiFiRanger routers, both outdoor and indoor, have far more processing power than previously was available. Several WiFiRanger models now also have options for integrated cellular modem which enables them to handle both your cellular and WiFi needs.

With the increased processing power comes an improved ability to Load Balance multiple internet sources. To get through the current internet slowdown, I'm currently Load Balancing three cellular sources and my park's WiFi.

Joel (AKA docj)

docj is offline   Reply With Quote