Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wish I Could Make Up My Mind.

We want to buy in the next month or two.
Have it narrowed down to three. Discovery 40X, Pheaton 36GH, or Pheaton 40QBH. I like the 40QBH, the wife likes the 40X, and we both think the 36GH may be better for the smaller National Parks.
Pighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Have you looked at the Discovery 36J? We love ours and we think it is a perfect size. It's our 4th motorhome and by far our favorite. I may be a little bias
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #3

We have a similar and same size MH as the Phaeton 36GH. I would not want anything larger for visiting National Parks.
We usually camp near the National Park. and drive our HHR for tours.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Keep in mind that anywhere you can park a 36 ft MH, you can likely park a 40 ft as well.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
This is easy, get what the wife likes. The only cause for concern is if the coach will not:
1. Carry all your stuff and you.
2. Tow what you want to tow.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

Just curious, is there any difference between the service and parts availability for either coach brand? I seem to recall hearing something about the Fleetwood company being unavailable for service?
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post
Just curious, is there any difference between the service and parts availability for either coach brand? I seem to recall hearing something about the Fleetwood company being unavailable for service?
I don't know where you heard that or exactly what you mean, but it's inaccurate. In our experience, Fleetwood has excellent customer service.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I don't know where you heard that or exactly what you mean, but it's totally untrue. In our experience, Fleetwood has excellent customer service.
Seriously. I frequently give their # for owners in need of customer service. Try calling them and you'll see that they are there and most helpful . 800-322-8216

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
This is easy, get what the wife likes. The only cause for concern is if the coach will not:
1. Carry all your stuff and you.
2. Tow what you want to tow.
That will be the most painless way to do it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #10

I would have a difficult time in purchasing a motor home from Fleetwood given there difficult time they seem to go through and knowing that Tiffin has been a solid run company since they started.
Selecting a MH is more than floor plans and colors.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tiffin, have DW choose a floor plan she like there. Go with the 40 foot. Better carrying capacity.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I would have a difficult time in purchasing a motor home from Fleetwood given there difficult time they seem to go through and knowing that Tiffin has been a solid run company since they started.
Selecting a MH is more than floor plans and colors.
Don't know what that is supposed to mean. FW is not going through a "difficult time." My experience has been that FW is a first class company that backs their product. I took my MH to the factory where they spent two weeks working on it at no charge...long past warranty, and they reimbursed me for 1,500 miles worth of diesel fuel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
A difficult time?? Fleetwood RV, Monoco, Holiday Rambler are a subsidiary of Allied Speciality Vehicles. A corporation that produces many heavy duty vehicles such as school buses and fire rescue vehicles ( trucks) to name a few of their products. They employ over three thousand plus American workers. Annual revenue exceeds one BILLION dollars! They are not a family run business but have a full management staff with multiple CEO's allowing complete diversification and thus protecting their solvency. How long before Bob passes? He had to come out of retirement to protect his family run business. Just sayin, think about it! My experience with Fleetwood Customer Relations and their well engineered products is and I am sure, will continue to lead the RV industry!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
A difficult time?? Fleetwood RV, Monoco, Holiday Rambler are a subsidiary of Allied Speciality Vehicles. A corporation that produces many heavy duty vehicles such as school buses and fire rescue vehicles ( trucks) to name a few of their products. They employ over three thousand plus American workers. Annual revenue exceeds one BILLION dollars! They are not a family run business but have a full management staff with multiple CEO's allowing complete diversification and thus protecting their solvency. How long before Bob passes? He had to come out of retirement to protect his family run business. Just sayin, think about it! My experience with Fleetwood Customer Relations and their well engineered products is and I am sure, will continue to lead the RV industry!
I have to agree with this well reasoned post.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote