Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Women Drivers

A few other threads drifted to the topic of woman drivers. I know many farm gals that roar around in tandem and bigger grain trucks during harvest and they usually have 5 & 4 tranny's , air brakes etc. and they are darn good at backing up and just outright "standing on her" to help get the job done. But I have being reading the odd post where hubby sits back and the wife does ALL the driving in the Motor Home and mention of woman being better then most behind the wheel. For the gals that can drive and handle the rig safely , power to you ! ,
but you are rare. When the driving topic comes up most guys I ask regarding their wife driving have said:
- Not a Chance
- She never would
- I do all the driving
And , I do not see that many woman behind the wheel. Yes i have seen the odd woman trucker but very few. I guess my point is that the percentage of woman drivers is very low.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

Yes the percentage of women drivers are low, but that low percentage are dam good drivers. I happen to know a couple which I hope aren't around if I happen to pull a stupid stunt. Yes, I've been known to do that. How embarrassing
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
A few other threads drifted to the topic of woman drivers. I know many farm gals that roar around in tandem and bigger grain trucks during harvest and they usually have 5 & 4 tranny's , air brakes etc. and they are darn good at backing up and just outright "standing on her" to help get the job done. But I have being reading the odd post where hubby sits back and the wife does ALL the driving in the Motor Home and mention of woman being better then most behind the wheel. For the gals that can drive and handle the rig safely , power to you ! ,
but you are rare. When the driving topic comes up most guys I ask regarding their wife driving have said:
- Not a Chance
- She never would
- I do all the driving
And , I do not see that many woman behind the wheel. Yes i have seen the odd woman trucker but very few. I guess my point is that the percentage of woman drivers is very low.
RIDER FAN
That could be..... (but does it matter)?
My 5'-2", 100lb, wife often drives our coach... and likes it.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is no driving chromosome, and just because you have a y chromosome doesn't mean you're a better driver. The air Force has done several studies and found every time that women can learn to fly better than men, and become better pilots than men, on average. Women are different from men; our different hormones make a BIG difference in how we think and how big and strong we can become. I don't think they have much affect on driving, and certainly ALOT less affect than experience and currency. That being said, I like to drive, and fly, and operate machines of all sort; pea viners, fork lifts, fishing boats, etc. I pride myself in being a skillful driver and pilot, and being able to figure out stuff. I cannot coordinate colors or throw together an edible and enjoyable dinner beyond opening a box and following directions, and I am so thankful I have someone kind and beautiful who can.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
- Not a Chance
- She never would
- I do all the driving
Women as in the female gender in general?
Or
Woman as in what you're addressing? Someone in mind?

Generational bias and discrimination has allowed men to feel privileged beyond their real abilities. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses so what's your point?

I extend every gentlemanly grace I can because of respect not control.

You know...not saying...just saying.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

woman drivers

My point was that i do not see that many woman drivers. I did state that lots of gals I have seen driving grain trucks etc are very good drivers , and lots of times under tough circumstances.......wet fields , working in the dark to name a few. Just haven't seen that many behind the wheel of Motor Homes..........simply an observation.
I did not say woman are not capable...........because of course they are.
Geez kick out your lawn chair and relax.........actually kind of funny how everyone got so defensive about it...........whats the problem ?
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Geez, she's kinda sitting next to me

Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

I see more woman driving school buses than men.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I see more woman driving school buses than men.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Geez, she's kinda sitting next to me

LOL!

OP: please consider the average ages of RVers. Many of the ladies who don't want to drive the beasts have been raised to defer to their husbands in many things. Many gentlemen who are now RVing were raised to take the lead in most things automotive.

I'm sure the above is part of it. Just a part.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well, back in 2012 I was working over seas a lot and was living in another state. I would be back home every ~4 months. Well, during this time my wife did the dog show circuit. When I did the yearly oil change in ~Nov she had put 10K miles on the rig. Yikes, I was wondering where my pay check was going.

When we travel together I do 95% of the driving but my wife is not afraid to head out on her own.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #12

Woman driver! I don't do a lot of the driving, but I think it is important that I know how to drive the rig, that I know how it handles & am able to get us from one place to the next if need be. I would like to drive more but since I am not yet retired & work via the internet & a cellphone, I pretty much spend my time in the passenger seat at work.
I would hope that if the wife shows an interest in knowing more about the rig and getting behind the wheel for some of the driving that the DH will be able to show her the ropes & let her get comfortable with being at least a p/t driver.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #13

We took turns daily when traveling, especially beneficial on the all-summer Alaska trip. Then both of us could enjoy the scenery. If you could hang around full-timers you would see that it's very common for women to drive and share in all aspects of RVing - including dumping the tanks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know 15 other women who just finished a 4 day driving class in October. We all are happy to help the DH drive and I have run into more women driving solo. One of the best backers I have seen was a women who backed her prevost in to a space in Hudson fl in the dark. In fact our instructor said women are better at backing in tight spots than men. HE wasn't sure why, but they just do better. I enjoy driving and don't mind if the DH will navigate .

Tags
driver