Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #1

Work on a FRED

I have an '07 Tiffin Allegro FRED with a Cummins 5.9 with 27,000 miles. We are told it needs fuel injectors. Contacted Cummins and they want $6,500 to replace all six injectors and stated that there is only one set of injectors in the United Stated. Previously, we contacted Freightliner on another issue for a lower radiator hose and they quoted $600 for a 4" radiator hose part only. Does anyone know of someone in the Southeast that will work on the unit at a reasonable price? There were thousands of these engines put in dodge trucks but the local diesel mechanics have more than what they can do and do not want to work on motorhomes. Any suggestions?
skyhawk8475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #2

What are your symptoms and/or diagnostic codes leading you to think you need all new fuel injectors?

Have you replaced your fuel filter(s)? What was their condition?
Old 04-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, radiator hoses on a FRED have nothing in common with Dodge trucks, so its hardly surprising it a unique & costly part. And I suspect that getting at the engine on a FRED is more challenging than any pick-up truck. Same for rear diesels - job estimates are typically higher for them than the same engine in a semi, both because of the additional labor and more difficult conditions.

To answer your question, no, I do not know any place that works more cheaply. I suggest you try Cummins Coach Care shops and independent truck repair shops in addition to Freightliner dealers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #4

Smoking at idle. Took it to be diagnosed - they put it on their computer and diagnosis showed injectors to be problem. They work mainly on trucks and have not agreed to work on motorhome.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Well, radiator hoses on a FRED have nothing in common with Dodge trucks, so its hardly surprising it a unique & costly part. And I suspect that getting at the engine on a FRED is more challenging than any pick-up truck. Same for rear diesels - job estimates are typically higher for them than the same engine in a semi, both because of the additional labor and more difficult conditions.

To answer your question, no, I do not know any place that works more cheaply. I suggest you try Cummins Coach Care shops and independent truck repair shops in addition to Freightliner dealers.
Understand radiator hose has nothing to do with dodge truck. Just stating freightliner was going to charge $600 for hose that I ended up buying and replacing myself for $30. The $600 did not include labor and they stated hose was on backorder. Same hose was shipped to me from Red Bay with no backorder.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Skyhawk,
If it were mine, I would try a high concentration of injector cleaner for awhile AT SPEED !!
Check youtube for how to's.
Injectors are not that hard to pull, if you have to, but they are nothing that an armature should be messing with.
You have a lot of learning to do, but it's not something you cannot tackle, with some guidance.

Miole in colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #7

I don't know anything about the Tiffin factory but would they be able to do it? Or call them and see if they'd have any recommendation for a repair facility.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #8
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Internet parts search shows the Bosch kit to be about $3000 delivered. Cummins has to buy from Cummins so more. $400 consumables. Can you get to all 6 injectors in a FRED? Leaves 17 hrs labor to drag tools over your carpet and into your coach then clean up. Sounds fair to me.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #9

Spending that much money on a diagnosis that may or may not fix your problem is something I wouldn’t do. A similar second opinion might help sway me. You may have to expand your search for a repair shop. Good luck.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just stating freightliner was going to charge $600 for hose that I ended up buying and replacing myself for $30. The $600 did not include labor and they stated hose was on backorder. Same hose was shipped to me from Red Bay with no backorder.
I'm curious whether that was a Freightliner dealer shop or the factory parts & service center in Ganey. I've not been impressed with the service & costs at Freightliner Oasis dealers, even though they claim to want motorhome business. The factory is pretty much the opposite (in my experience).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm curious whether that was a Freightliner dealer shop or the factory parts & service center in Ganey. I've not been impressed with the service & costs at Freightliner Oasis dealers, even though they claim to want motorhome business. The factory is pretty much the opposite (in my experience).
Four Star Freightliner in Midway, FL. They have seven locations in Alabama, Georgia and Florida.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't know anything about the Tiffin factory but would they be able to do it? Or call them and see if they'd have any recommendation for a repair facility.
It's my understanding Tiffin only does warranty work. They do have a list of businesses in the Red Bay area that will work on Tiffin motorhomes.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #13

Joining a simple cummins group, and asking about the 5.9 and or doing research on probably lots of questions on the motor, could be answered by quite a few people that know that motor inside and out, and daily run them.
Depending on where one is, asking about where and or who could, would work on it, might get lots of response.
Best of luck.