Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #1

Workamping with only 30amp available.

I am brand new to Workamping and have an electrical question. I have an '05 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ with W/D, micro, satellite, etc. I have been offered a Workamping position in Central CA but the campground only has 30amp service. I will be onsite for 5 months. What types of limits will that put on me? I know I wouldn't be able to run everything at the same time. Can anyone offer some advice on this?? Thx Bill
rvingwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #2

Max of 3600W total.......exceed the 30A supply and CB will trip

So that means 'large draw items' only one at a time

A/C Unit, Microwave, Dryer....space heater/hair dryer etc

Water heater electric element----1400W so use propane
Fridge electric element-----450W max so OK to stay on electric

Use what you what....if power pedestal CB trips----reduce what you are using
Within a few days you will KNOW what you can/can not use at same time
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

We've volunteered at sites with only 30A and didn't affect us. Of course, we didn't do it in a place with extreme heat. You'll only be able to run one AC and for the temps we were in that was just fine. Sometimes we closed off the bedroom during the day to keep the coolness in the living area and you could do vice versa during the night, if needed. A Fantastic fan works well at night and draws minimal. Slightly crack opposite windows if you can and the fan will draw in nice cool nighttime breeze.

We used propane water heater. One appliance at a time; not the coffee pot and microwave at the same time. You could also get a stovetop coffee perculator which makes great coffee.

We boondocked a lot on public lands so we were used to conserving power. 30A was a luxury to us!

It's good exercise for your brain.... always being alert on what you can use!

Bottom line - it can be done.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill, I had the same coach for 10 years. We camped very often with 30 amps. The satellite and DirecTv or Dish unit require very little power. If you need to run the A/C's, heat pumps, you may only get one, but could squeeze on the second by turning the refer to gas.

The two biggies would be running the microwave and a hairdryer at the same time.

Typically, your shore power pedestal will have the 30 amp outlet and a second 15/20 amp outlet inside. For cold weather, you can run an extension cord off of that 15/20 outlet, into the coach, and use it for an electric heater.

I actually wired a second cord into the cord bay that ran to an outlet I installed in the bath and main living area (romex inside flex pvc conduit). I used the second cord to power an electric heater or my wife's hair dryer in the bathroom.

Basically, you'll do fine, you'll just need to do some power management.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

Run the refer and water heater on gas and you will be fine. You will only be able to run one AC at a time.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingwil View Post
I am brand new to Workamping and have an electrical question. I have an '05 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ with W/D, micro, satellite, etc. I have been offered a Workamping position in Central CA but the campground only has 30amp service. I will be onsite for 5 months. What types of limits will that put on me? I know I wouldn't be able to run everything at the same time. Can anyone offer some advice on this?? Thx Bill
30 amp means 1 ac so we rotate from front to rear ac.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #7

I don’t wish to contradict others who have contributed to this thread but I have a similar situation as the OP. I have a 39-foot Bighorn fifth wheel with two 15,000 BTU roof airs. Visiting friends here in Tucson, I’m connected to their 30 amp garage connection. Last week on two occasions I ran both ACs with no problem — the voltage meter I’m using (plugged into one of the 110V galley outlets) never dropped below 109 which I am told is well within the safe range. I also understand that each AC unit is using 13 amps max. I’m not an electrician and I have no real experience with electricity so I’m certainly not an expert, but my experience says you can run two 15,000 BTU units with no problem. Don’t try to use anything else at the same time however. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmck101 View Post
I don’t wish to contradict others who have contributed to this thread but I have a similar situation as the OP. I have a 39-foot Bighorn fifth wheel with two 15,000 BTU roof airs. Visiting friends here in Tucson, I’m connected to their 30 amp garage connection. Last week on two occasions I ran both ACs with no problem — the voltage meter I’m using (plugged into one of the 110V galley outlets) never dropped below 109 which I am told is well within the safe range. I also understand that each AC unit is using 13 amps max. I’m not an electrician and I have no real experience with electricity so I’m certainly not an expert, but my experience says you can run two 15,000 BTU units with no problem. Don’t try to use anything else at the same time however. Just my 2 cents.
It can be done as your seen, but it depends on the outside temperature and only if both ACs Don't start at the same time.

Higher outside temps can cause a higher amp draw and the startup current of the units is about double the running amps.

As you mentioned, You will also be limited to running other things in the RV. Microwave is out, electric water heater will put you over the top and even many gas/electric fridges draw around 5 amps, putting your amp draw at 31 amps.

In a bind, that can work, but for a 4 month stay, that would be a pain to manage.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:21 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
All depends on the temps and how much shade you have in your site. It is manageable in the right conditions. You can always ask about running the generator on days you need a little more power.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've volunteered at sites with only 30A and didn't affect us. Of course, we didn't do it in a place with extreme heat. You'll only be able to run one AC and for the temps we were in that was just fine. Sometimes we closed off the bedroom during the day to keep the coolness in the living area and you could do vice versa during the night, if needed. A Fantastic fan works well at night and draws minimal. Slightly crack opposite windows if you can and the fan will draw in nice cool nighttime breeze.

We used propane water heater. One appliance at a time; not the coffee pot and microwave at the same time. You could also get a stovetop coffee perculator which makes great coffee.

We boondocked a lot on public lands so we were used to conserving power. 30A was a luxury to us!

Bottom line - it can be done.

- -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmck101 View Post
109 volts is not well within range. It is VERY much borderline. You are looking for trouble. At the very least install hard start kits on the compressors.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
109 volts is not well within range. It is VERY much borderline. You are looking for trouble. At the very least install hard start kits on the compressors.

Safe operating range is 120V +/- 10%
120 minus 12----108V
120 plus 12------132V

That is Industry Standard Nominal Voltage

Yes 109V is 'borderline' but as long as induction motors are operating at 108V minimum they will not be damaged
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #13

The biggest question/issue is what do you actually mean by Central California? If it is the coast, AC isn't going to be an overwhelming concern and you will be fine. Same story if you are high in the mountains. However, if it is Bakersfield, or Death Valley, or many of the other desert areas you will likely bake. Rotating from one AC to another won't work when it's 110 in the shade. Someone mentioned the 15 AMP connection in addition to the 30 as a source for additional power. That would only work if the 15 is not wired off of the 30 amp breaker which would be somewhat unusual, especially in older systems. Good luck.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdogger View Post
The biggest question/issue is what do you actually mean by Central California? If it is the coast, AC isn't going to be an overwhelming concern and you will be fine. Same story if you are high in the mountains. However, if it is Bakersfield, or Death Valley, or many of the other desert areas you will likely bake. Rotating from one AC to another won't work when it's 110 in the shade. Someone mentioned the 15 AMP connection in addition to the 30 as a source for additional power. That would only work if the 15 is not wired off of the 30 amp breaker which would be somewhat unusual, especially in older systems. Good luck.
Your statement would be correct if you tried to tie the two together with a cheater box and the second outlet was GFI protected. If you read what I wrote, I added a second power cord with separate outlets using two different circuits in the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workamping