Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #1

Worst 1st Trip out Ever!

Hiya everyone. Well I done did it. Bought me an RV and thought I paid for everything to work properly(since it sat in the shop for over a year) and I went to take it out yesterday and low and behold, the floors were flooded the electric didn't work and the shop tried to blame me for this although I barely got, what I thought was a DRY RV back......just as I had delivered it, less than a month ago. So I didn't have any fun at all. Needless to say I drove it straight back to the shop and told them where they could shove their cash register and that I wanted all my problems fixed or else. I was a titch unhappy to say the least. I'll let you know how it all turns out, but they said it should be done by next week. (yeah that's what they said last year too). Luckily I have my conversations recorded so if this has to go to court it will. Are we having fun yet!
lvlyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. On a lighter note, if this is your worse times, the best is yet to come. We've all had bad times some worse than others but they always seem to work out and we move on. So, with a little luck your bad times are behind you and you can enjoy the good times ahead. Best of luck and safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Not that it changes anything... But what did you buy and where? It might help a newbie in the future... Also did you mean they had worked on it for a year or it had been sitting for a year. If it was being worked on what was wrong with it? I know none of these question help you, but more info might help someone else...Sorry for your start in this wonderfull world of Rv'ing... There are many fun miles ahead...

Peace and Safe Travels.... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! Man, that's a bummer! Sure hope you get this straightened out soon! You might want to think about a good lawyer if they don't do what's right. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello, welcome to IRV2. Sorry your experience so far has not been pleasant. Hope everything gets resolved and you can get out and enjoy the RV life. Keep us posted.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Bummer!! Hope you get it fixed SOON and things go smoother in the future.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Where I bought it...

I found the RV on line in the classifieds. I was aware that it sat for 5 years previous to my buying it, so I took it into an RV shop the week I bought it to have them do a once over and tell me what needed to be done to it to get it out on the road safely and comfortably. The RV shop kept the RV for a YEAR and returned it to me in this condition. I had never used the RV at all. They said they fixed a water leak they found when testing the system. They said when they plugged into power everything worked fine but the fridge(but it ran on propane too) and they said that worked fine on propane. Turned out the electric didn't work and the water leak was not fixed and the new holding tank was installed incorrectly and illegally. It was just a mess. Not sure if I mentioned this either, but it has an onboard generator and the plugs didn't even work with that thing running (but the air conditioner did)....so I think something is just wrong.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlyfun View Post
I found the RV on line in the classifieds. I was aware that it sat for 5 years previous to my buying it, so I took it into an RV shop the week I bought it to have them do a once over and tell me what needed to be done to it to get it out on the road safely and comfortably. The RV shop kept the RV for a YEAR and returned it to me in this condition. I had never used the RV at all. They said they fixed a water leak they found when testing the system. They said when they plugged into power everything worked fine but the fridge(but it ran on propane too) and they said that worked fine on propane. Turned out the electric didn't work and the water leak was not fixed and the new holding tank was installed incorrectly and illegally. It was just a mess. Not sure if I mentioned this either, but it has an onboard generator and the plugs didn't even work with that thing running (but the air conditioner did)....so I think something is just wrong.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but maybe you should have had it checked out prior to buying it. Live and learn I guess.
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #9

Last June was first real outing with our 1993 5th wheel. Everything looked good so we left Michigan for North Carolina. About 100 miles into our trip a wheel bearing started making noise so I repacked it in a supermarket parking lot. Then about 600 miles in we blew a trailer tire. Near record heat in Tenneessee and found out ac wouldn't keep up. Make it to North Carolina and they had our reservation for a tiny tent spot along the river so took an hour or so to get parked in a new location. When I was out motorcycle riding I got stuck in worst rain storm I'd ever seen. Got back to the trailer to find my awning laying in a heap, literally every peice was bent or ripped. After 4 days our holding tanks were full. I hooked up to the trailer and went to empty them. When I set the trailer back up I wasn't paying attention and the slideout hit and snapped the water pipe below the ground. Leaving the Skyway my trailer brakes failed and left front track brake caught fire. Half way home another tire blown. Rest of last year went flawless.
82packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
Last June was first real outing with our 1993 5th wheel. Everything looked good so we left Michigan for North Carolina. About 100 miles into our trip a wheel bearing started making noise so I repacked it in a supermarket parking lot. Then about 600 miles in we blew a trailer tire. Near record heat in Tenneessee and found out ac wouldn't keep up. Make it to North Carolina and they had our reservation for a tiny tent spot along the river so took an hour or so to get parked in a new location. When I was out motorcycle riding I got stuck in worst rain storm I'd ever seen. Got back to the trailer to find my awning laying in a heap, literally every peice was bent or ripped. After 4 days our holding tanks were full. I hooked up to the trailer and went to empty them. When I set the trailer back up I wasn't paying attention and the slideout hit and snapped the water pipe below the ground. Leaving the Skyway my trailer brakes failed and left front track brake caught fire. Half way home another tire blown. Rest of last year went flawless.
OK...you win. That's definitely the worst trip ever. (Oh, and welcome to the forum. )
Old 04-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Kind of leaves you speechless...and fearful! At least for this newbie. But, I have been camping in a local county campground, one weekend at a time, testing out a few things at a time. The plan is to understand the rv, make certain it's in running condition, and then take off. Wow--that's what you were doing!

I had my generator serviced (mainly cuz I couldn't even get the dipstick off--what's that tell you?) and I am due to have the 60,000 mi service done--because I have no records, don't know what's been done, and it's just a few miles beyond 60,000.

Good luck and good karma to you!
kmesaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hope things get better for you....wishing you all the best.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #13

Packer my friend, you win hands down. I don't back up if I don't have to cause I know I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I don't even have slide outs and I've no clue where the drain hose is located on this rig, so I'm gonna have to buy a new one. I couldn't drain them if I wanted too this time around cause the water just seeped out onto the ground any time it went down the sink thanks to the handy RV mechanic that supposedly installed it. (but I'm sure he did that full of water too) which is what they were suggesting when they saw the broken water pipe, but had nothing more to say when I showed them the hose that was left behind by mr mechanic, because he knew he had to fix it (but didn't). I really detest mechanics of any kind that think you are stupid just because you don't fix your own rig. (if my HOA would allow for it, I would do it all in a heartbeat), cause I have all the tools....but I'm paying someone to do it that's supposed to only do RV's. So this time around I'm having them walk me through it, with video camera in hand, and showing me that everything works before I pull out of their property (and I doubt I will ever return again).
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had our events but I can't even come close.

One of my best was leaving for a trip in a near flood. MH slid backwards off the driveway trying to drive it out the back hill of our lot. I had to jump on the trackhoe and have the wife drive the Mh up the hill while i dragged it out with the bucket. It seem hard to pull up the hill when I had to stop and ask if the MH was in gear. I made more progress one the Parking brake was off and she put it in gear. In her defence she was stressed and it was a very heavy down poor.

It was a quiet drive to the CG that afternoon.

That was the worst of last season.

I bope everyones season gets better.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote