Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
213 freeway around LA, Calif.....
Not sure what rt you were on, but 213 is not a freeway. It is Western Ave from San Pedro near LA Harbor to I405 in the Torrance/Carson area and all surface street. Maybe you were on I405 around LA, I haven't driven that in some time and it may now be bad.

Glenn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
And Issac, are you talking about Hwy 90 south out of Lafayette toward Morgan City ?

At the time I went thru there with an f350 and 38' 5'er, we LEFT the ground on some of those transitions and the expansion joints from HELL left our teeth chattering...

but a close second is I-20 across Losing-Annie Shreveport AND Monroe have some ski jumps on the interstate even our near 40k lb motorhome & toad could only flatten them out so much
No 90 is a US highway and in WAY better shape than the state highways around there, Palmetto Island state park is about 30 miles or so off US90 depending on the exact route, or about 35-40 miles south of I-10 depending on route. Mostly the 2 digit state highways south of I-10 in the western half of Louisiana are very bad (there are a few that are ok, just narow) this includes Hwy 82, 35, 13, and much of 14 the really bad ones are the 3 and 4 digit secondary state highways like 335, 3093 694 Probably the best way in and out of there is US 167, with only about 15 miles of moderately bad road to deal with, unfortunately US 167 is a busy surface street for about 15 miles through Lafayette.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #17

My worst an expected was Route 66 from Ca. to Az. I rode it about 10 years ago on a big cruiser motorcycle. I had to ride the gravel shoulder for 10-15 miles before getting a on ramp to I-40. Granted it's not kept up but that was an awful ride. I thought it would be nice to get off the super slab but no. I'm sure parts are good an I just picked the wrong area. I rode the complete route back in the late 50s as a kid with my parents in a 53 Olds from Ma to Ca. We started in Chicago to LA. Good memories.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any road in Pennsylvania. We have the highest gasoline tax in the US and the poorest roads. Wonder where all that money is going. The roads in Alaska were much better.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
Any road in Pennsylvania. We have the highest gasoline tax in the US and the poorest roads. Wonder where all that money is going. The roads in Alaska were much better.
Very hard to disagree with that. I live near Towanda Pa, maybe a hour West of you..........
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Just did this yesterday - I78 in PA westbound from Allentown. That section is built on the original US22 concrete from the 1950's (maybe earlier), and it's falling apart beyond belief. Just a 5 mile stretch. It's unbelievably bad. The original concrete underneath is heaving and buckling. The state has rebuilt much of it over the last 10-15 years, but not this part. I was afraid we'd lose our trailer.

Roger

P.S. We were on our return trip from Maine. This was the crappiest road we encountered on the entire trip, and it's 50 miles from our home.
Definately go along with this one. Terrible!
lkj831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Not sure what rt you were on, but 213 is not a freeway. It is Western Ave from San Pedro near LA Harbor to I405 in the Torrance/Carson area and all surface street. Maybe you were on I405 around LA, I haven't driven that in some time and it may now be bad.

Glenn
Correction......210, not 213
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #22
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
What's the worst highway you have been on. Worst pavement condition. Rough. For me it was I-40 between Arkansas and Oklahoma City. The section that went through whatever town Carrie Underwood is from was horrible. Just about lost the shower door on that one.
That would be Checotah. It is bad but I have hit bad stuff all over the country. There was a 2 lane in Ontario, Canada that nearly beat the stuffings out of us so not limited to the US. Our worst stretch is US 69 from Muskogee to Big Cabin, Ok. We travel it a lot and is the reason we have put air bags on the Excel and a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride hitch in the truck. Helps a lot but still feel it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #23

Some stretches of I-84, I-15, and I-86 thru Idaho are rutted and potholed. The stretches between cities/towns are decent, but the city limit areas are ugly.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In January of this year is was 580 at Altamont Pass near Livermore, CA. Huge potholes in all 5 lanes with rebar showing in many of them. The next day they closed the Hwy after 20 plus tire blowouts were reported.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
Just ran the Penn Turnpike from Lancaster to the Ohio line. Terrible road and had to pay $62 in tolls for the privilege!!

My vote for the worse highway id I-20 from 15 miles west of Columbia SC to 20 miles East. Had to see my dentist afterward!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
US101 between Morgan Hill CA and San Jose CA.
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Those get my vote. And these are Interstate Highways, for cryin' out loud.

On the bright side, I-90 from I-35 at Iowa/Minn border all the way to Bozeman, MT where we are right now has been substantially rebuilt and, with minor exception, was smooth sailing. I think, hope, and pray congress can get an infrastructure spending bill passed to rebuild our roads & bridges.

Welcome to Bozeman. Be sure to visit Hyalite Canyon if you have the chance.
I15Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #28

Interesting timing for this post. I recently finished a round trip from Phoenix to Durango. In full agreement that I40 is bad we found it really bad as you enter NM from AZ to Gallup. We then entered the 491 North and this is absolute horrible from Gallup to Cortez although the are resurfacing. I'm not sure why if they don't fix the base. During the trip the facia on our cabinets on the passenger side wall pulled apart. As we enter Colorado the road was significantly better. On our way home to avoid the 491 we took the 161 to Kayenta and then 89 & I17. 491 was bad but this was worse. I'm pretty sure the Jeep in tow was airborne several times. As we entered I17 south of Flagstaff the fix to reattach the cabinets failed and started falling off. We pulled off at a scenic view just before we dropped off the mountain to reattach and hit what must have been a 3ft pot hole. Now the the cabinet is the least of the problems all due to nasty highways. A letter to our governor is in process.
dunerunner4 is offline   Reply With Quote