Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Worse Interstate hwy. I've ever been on is I-95 in NYC. It's also known as the Cross Bronx Expressway. It will literally shake your RV to pieces. All you have to do is look at the shoulders to see all the parts that have come off vehicles that have travelled this road.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #30

I-65 South of Louisville, Kentucky for about 20 miles.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #31

I55 is only bad in the short (~10 m.) stretch thru Arkansas. Clearly the other states corrected the old concrete road slab joint bumping. Seems like Arkansas isn’t prioritizing i55. It’s a sham. The federal government should take over maintenance/upgrade of that section if Arkansas won’t.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
Apparently this is a forum inhabited by western RVers because nobody has mention I84 from Scranton PA to Danbury CT. It is not fit for a mountain goat.
Bridge transitions in NY state are the worst part of it.

Roger
Old 03-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Outside of any Interstate in the NY Metro area, I 80, Stroudsburg, PA., near the Pocono Mountians, where it shares state rt. 209.

Narrow, busted up and surrounded with outlet malls and ski lodges.

Please come and drive I-278 before you complain about any other roads.
That's pretty bad, but I-78 between Allentown and Hamburg is beyond bad. Most of it is built on top of the old US22 concrete that dates back to the 1950's or further. Also, the eastbound right lane of I78 from Allentown to Bethlehem is continuous bouncing.

Roger
Old 03-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Worse Interstate hwy. I've ever been on is I-95 in NYC. It's also known as the Cross Bronx Expressway. It will literally shake your RV to pieces. All you have to do is look at the shoulders to see all the parts that have come off vehicles that have travelled this road.
I have been over that stretch hundreds of times, living on LI.

90% of my driving it, it was at 10 MPH or less, in bumper to bumper traffic, and its a good thing.
It is a rough road.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No road pavers in California know how to transition from asphalt to concrete and back to asphalt. The transitions will rattle your teeth and everything else. I 80 and I 5 are horrible.

I 10 across Louisiana is very annoying but didn't jar us like the I 80 and I 5 do.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Maybe it's time to start speaking up to your 'elected' officials!

Your tax dollars are supposed to be spent repairing these interstates!

With the improvements made in gas mileage, there is a lot less money coming in from road taxes these days. As electric vehicles are the future, there’s more talk of switching the system to a one where mileage is tracked. This would mean the people who use the roads pay more. It’s coming.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
With the improvements made in gas mileage, there is a lot less money coming in from road taxes these days. As electric vehicles are the future, there’s more talk of switching the system to a one where mileage is tracked. This would mean the people who use the roads pay more. It’s coming.
There are 42 millions more cars on the road now then in 2011.
That along with the SUV/pickup craze will make up for the tax loses from better MPG.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Aren't the people who are driving more already paying more in taxes at the pump?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:25 PM   #39

Right now there's a lovely stretch of 1-85 southbound in South Carolina that goes from OK to OMG awful in a second. Between mile 85 and 80 they've seen fit to put barriers alongside both the left and right lanes. And senseless people will tailgate at 70-80 mph through there. One blink and it's (another) ten car pileup. Then an issue is that the tow vehicles have no access. Down at the next exit they shut down the functioning lane so tow vehicles can drive in reverse back up the interstate until they are in "the chute" and able to retrieve a disabled vehicle. Though each recovery vehicle is supposed to get a single vehicle at a time (different towing companies) they are handshaking and dragging them out of the chute two at a time where possible and handing off one to another truck when clear.
The real problem is that everyone in the chute behind such a pileup has NOWHERE to go until the mess is cleared in front of them. One took six hours to clear and someone had a medical emergency in the wait line. Responding EMT's had to block part of the northbound side and climb over the barriers to attend them. At night and in the rain.

Locals are just staying the heck off that stretch. Maybe the best part is that the engineers think it's working so well that in a few months and the southbound lanes are sorted out they are going to transfer the whole deathtrap barrier design to the northbound side. Local state troopers and tow drivers (ahem) have different opinions.

If no one does anything stupid it's no big deal, I got brave and drove through there a few hours ago. But on average the last two months someone has done something stupid there EVERY single weekend. Right now it's a dark and storming Saturday night. Waiting on the phone to ring anytime now.

Not the same as things like crumbling cliffside roads in the dark I guess but when it goes bad out there it's pretty awful.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #40

Given the interstate conditions, RV organizations like FMCA & others should take on identifying the worst of the worst sections then lobby the respective governments to drive working off those bad roads. Maybe we could use out collective efforts to try to focus efforts to drive change.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiWay-OurWay View Post
Hwy 17 between Los Gatos, CA and Santa Cruz, CA
I'll do almost anything to avoid that stretch of highway, and won't tow over it, though I did years ago when I towed a tandem enclosed trailer to/from Scotts Valley from Sacramento every month or two for an antique auction.
Traffic speed is over the speed limit and way too fast for the road, lanes too narrow for comfort, no run-off anywhere, and the median is a concrete barrier right next to your drivers side mirror, up to about eye level, that is completely covered with tire marks from bottom to top from prior "incidents" and the base of the wall is buried in shattered bits of plastic car parts.

Hwy 17 is called the most dangerous highway in the state. I don't find it particularly hard to drive with the trailer but I stick to the speed limit or what conditions dictate, whichever is less. It does have narrow shoulders and blind curves. But IMO the real issue is people simply drive too fast for the conditions. A healthy dose of defensive driving is needed for sure.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
1-70 between Indianapolis and St. Louis Potholes so bad you can’t use the right lane
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote