Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2023, 09:06 PM   #1

Would you buy a used Newmar from a non-Newmar Dealer?

Hello, we are contemplating moving up from our current Newmar model to either a 40' Ventana or 40' Dutch Star. We have seen some, but not many 20-22 "used" Newmar's being sold by new RV dealers, that are not Newmar dealers. Should we feel comfortable with them and their "lack" in knowledge on Newmar? If so, what do we need to be looking at in our inspection of units we look at. I know, with Covid, many people purchased rec. vehicles as a "cocooning" adventure and have found out that rving was not for them, hence low mile 21 and 22's on the market now, with dealers looking to get some of these at relatively good prices. Naturally, a Newmar dealer has a vested interest in customer satisfaction in selling both new and used Newmar product, and the service dept. is well trained in the Newmar line, when a used Newmar comes in, as a trade-in, when they go through the unit prior to it going on the lot. We will be spending a good sum of money and want to trust whom we are purchasing from. I've heard horror stories on this forum, but should a one or two year old Class A, with 5-15k miles need any issues addressed, and would a non-Newmar dealer know and address issues after they have purchased this unit? Thank you for your thoughts and insight. I have learned so much in the time we have been part of this forum and continue to absorb info that we have used and will use in the future as we enter retirement and begin to spend time on the road traveling.
runner6608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 05:28 AM   #2

It's been my experience (9 motorhomes and 5 trailers) that the dealer makes little difference in the purchase of an RV.

Most RV systems come from 3rd parties and are similar across all manufacturers. A Dometic fridge is a Dometic fridge regardless of the RV it's in.

If you have to return to the dealer for every minor repair you should probably rethink your decision to buy an RV anyway. I tell folks "if you can't fix 'em, maybe you shouldn't buy "em".

Some think a local dealer is needed. However, things don't usually break while sitting in the driveway at your house. When you need a dealer to repair something, you're likely far from home and your selling dealer.

Get your best price wherever you can find it and learn how to track down mobile RV repair folks.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 03-13-2023, 05:32 AM   #3

I don't see how it makes any difference.

If it is still under warranty you will be taking it to a Newmar dealer or back to the factory.

If it is not under warranty, depending what goes wrong you will be using independent shops, Newmar dealers, or the factory.

You can always use an independent inspector if you want. I would never fully trust any dealer that was trying to sell me something.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
I don't see how it makes any difference.

If it is still under warranty you will be taking it to a Newmar dealer or back to the factory.

If it is not under warranty, depending what goes wrong you will be using independent shops, Newmar dealers, or the factory.

You can always use an independent inspector if you want. I would never fully trust any dealer that was trying to sell me something.
Getting timely service at a Newmar dealership that did not sell the unit can be problematic... even when under warranty.
Factory visit OK for major issues but likely not a good option for small fixes.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Getting timely service at a Newmar dealership that did not sell the unit can be problematic... even when under warranty.
Getting timely service anywhere is problematic. Getting good and timely service even more so.

Hohenwald is correct. Learn the systems and be prepared to do some things yourself.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:36 PM   #6

I would buy a Chevy or Ford from a Dodge dealer if the price was right. Makes no difference.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:18 PM   #7

We bought our 2019 Tiffin, used from a dealer that sales new Tiffins. We knew more about MH than the salesman. The dealer is not important. Your knowledge is.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:33 PM   #8

We bought our used Tiffin from a dealer 1100 miles away. No idea if they sell Tiffins. We almost certainly will never return to that dealer anyway. Since our purchase we've only used a dealer once for service. All other service was done by independent service.
Donskiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We bought our used Tiffin from a dealer 1100 miles away. No idea if they sell Tiffins. We almost certainly will never return to that dealer anyway. Since our purchase we've only used a dealer once for service. All other service was done by independent service.
We bought our Tiffin brand new from a Tiffin dealer. We have not returned to that dealer since it is 300+ miles away. I take it to Red Bay annually and have an authorized Tiffin service repair shop 5 miles away. As stated, when you are on the road and need help it will most likely be by an independent service.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
Getting timely service anywhere is problematic. Getting good and timely service even more so.

Hohenwald is correct. Learn the systems and be prepared to do some things yourself.
I dont disagree that learning and DIY are easier & faster than trying to get work done at dealers. I do all my house system work (so far) and rely on a good auto / truck shop to do routine chassis maintenance.
If owners are not mechanical and DIY types they are at a big disadvantage trying to get any / all maint & repairs done. Something to think about & plan for before buying or it can become a significant barrier to enjoying your RV.
RV / MH are NOT like autos where any (same mfg brand) dealer can & WILL do maint & repairs. It's that thinking that disappoints many uninitiated.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:18 AM   #11

Buying from a non- Newmar dealer

Thank you all for the information. My first thoughts were, why are non Newmar dealers having used Newmar on their lots, but after further thought....why not, Newmar is a quality mh. We have found out early on, even when needing service on our existing Newmar, at the original dealer it came from, it was many months out in scheduling the service. Luckily, as many of you have noted in your replies, one better have some knowledge and hands on skill to do much of the troubleshooting and some work yourself, which i have done on our unit.
Thank you
runner6608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:28 PM   #12

p.s. We do not use a dealer for work needed. They are way overpriced. We use a awesome, local, family owned facility. They are second generation, have a great team of techs, have great knowledge and experience and great supply system. Hope you can find that.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, newmar