Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

Would you move 16" spare tire to bumper?

Our 5er has the 16" spare in the front storage. I am thinking about moving it to the back bumper. Any reason I should not do this? Would free up space up front for other stuff.

Thanks,

Corn
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #2

I don't see an issue with it as long as the bumper can handle the weight, it probably weighs over 100 lbs, maybe quite a bit over. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with anything and keep it covered. That's a good use for the best old tire when you replace them.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Some square rear bumpers are only designed to contain the waste hose, they actually have little strength. If you decide to do this keep close watch on the bumper welds/mounts. One hundred pounds bouncing up/down create much more kinetic energy than the static weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #4

Ever been behind a trailer with spare mounted on bumper......
SCARY as it is shaking back/worth

MOST trailer rear bumpers are NOT strong enough, braced/supported or built for that kind of weight

IF you go forward I would have a really good welder beef up/brace it for that kind of weight that will be rocking
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I don't see an issue with it as long as the bumper can handle the weight, it probably weighs over 100 lbs, maybe quite a bit over. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with anything and keep it covered. That's a good use for the best old tire when you replace them.
Does a 16" tire and wheel really weigh that much? I'm pretty sure my 19.5s mounted on steel wheels weigh less than that.

Like you, I don't see a problem either. The bumper should be good to go but it wouldn't hurt to double check the weld/bolt attachment points at the frame.

Edited to add: Old-Biscuit's reply came out while I was typing and after reading his, have to wonder what I'm missing here. If it's the old fashioned square tube bumper we're talking about here, I sure have seen a bunch with spare tires in my travels. I can't imagine it being a problem with a 16 inch tire and wheel but,,, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #6

You tube video....check out bumper at 15:12
Pretty flimsy looking
Might have better luck with a cargo rack but receiver doesn't look very robust either

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Does a 16" tire and wheel really weigh that much? I'm pretty sure my 19.5s mounted on steel wheels weigh less than that.

I really don't know what they weigh. It was just a semi educated guess.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #8

Spare ripped the square tube bumper off my fiver and dragged tire and wheel down the freeway. Not pretty but at least it didn’t come completely off and hit a car.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:03 AM   #9

Smile

The rim is between 20 and 35# the tire weight is between 35 and 60. It all depends on quality and standard of manufacture. And don't forget you need to have another 80# or so of air in there.
I've never liked bumper mount spares. How about an undermount?
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
Spare ripped the square tube bumper off my fiver and dragged tire and wheel down the freeway. Not pretty but at least it didn’t come completely off and hit a car.

I'm guessing the tube bumper was intact but the weld attaching the tube to the frame was where it "Ripped off" (?) .

As Old-Biscuit suggested, reinforce the welded joints.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #11

No matter what the tire weighs, the bouncing will create a lot of stress on the bumper. I used to work on tanker trailers and their fenders would fatigue crack over time. It is amazing how much stuff would crack and fail. As mentioned above, many of the bumpers are a very light gauge square tube. If it is less than 1/8 inch thick forget about mounting a tire on it. If I were going to do this, I would make sure the entire tire mount was fabricated from 1/4 inch material and that it were mounted with grade 5 hardware at the minimum. If it gets mounted there, you need to make sure it will be as strong after 10 years of bouncing down the highway as it is the first day it's installed. Overkill is a good thing here!!!

Good luck!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #12

I'll leave it in the front storage.

I am going to hang my 28 gal honey wagon on the back ladder, though. Until my wife tells me we look like hillbillies.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #13

I keep mine in the storage bin. Nobody can steal it. I can't loose it. I can't forget it. It won't get eaten up buy the sun. I check the air pressure in it occasionally, which is something that should be done regardless of storage location.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
PKI

Storage of anything behind the axles is a degradation of optimal directional stability. Storage of anything in front of the axles that overloads the tow vehicle degrades the safety and reliability of the rig. The gear load out of your rig is a compromise. More is not generally better. Enough is best. IMHO, I would not move the spare to the bumper.

The answer -

Yes, you can. It takes building a strong support structure that adds weight to your coach.

No, you should not move it unless your situation makes that solution necessary, not nice to have, but necessary to function.

If you do, seriously consider what gear and supplies you can better position to center the loading over the coach axles.

And as a final safety consideration, weigh the load out configuration to verify you are not over axle or tire capacity.

In all cases, if you are running heavy, reduce your travel speed and extend your following distance. You can do a lot with a little if you take care, understand the rigs capability and are not forced to do emergency type moves to avoid an event.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote