Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Wouldn't it be nice if

I often wonder why the " travel centers" like Loves, Pilot, ect. aren't gas RV friendly ? When traveling finding a place to get fuel can be a bit challenging. Most of the travel centers have a very easy area if you need diesel fuel, but if you need gas the pumps are facing the building with cars parked in front. This makes it almost impossible to fit a large MH with a toad to get in and exit. Wouldn't it be nice if they would add a couple gas pumps on the islands for us folks that are towing that TT, or 5th wheel or MH., meaning something for those of us that need gas and room to maneuver.
In a perfect world they could all be designed like the flying J's.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Ahh a pet peeve of mine for years. See the post I made a few years ago in the Humor section:

I think gas station designers are conspiring against motor homes.

Gone are the days when you could just pull right up to a gas island that was parallel to the roadway. Remember how gas stations used to be? Usually a maximum of one or two islands with three pumps each. You pulled up, pulled the nozzle out of the SIDE of the pump, flipped the metal switch over the opening and those rotating numbers for the gallons and dollars would click-click-click to zero.

NOW, you have SIX islands, each with only 1 pump, all positioned so that you face the convenience store and see all the high-calorie, high-fructose, high-trans fat goodies that draw me in like a fly to a pile of ... you get the idea.

To make matters worse, they put a row of parking right in front of the store with about 10 feet of clearance to the pumps. I usually end up pulling in when NO ONE is parked in front. By the time my 75 gallons of gas are on board, I have three SUVs with soccer ball stickers, two pickups with rebel flags and a landscape trailer all parked and blocking me in. Hard turn to the right and my back half is taking out a pump. Hard turn to the left and I'll pull a couple of Toro's off the landscape trailer.

Some ˜generous' stations have TWO pumps per island. But as every motor home driver knows, your coach takes up the full lane to gas up. When I pull up to a crowded station, I quickly scan the situation and make my assessment. Profiles are quickly created in my mind determining who will leave the pumps in the shortest amount of time. Double XL guy with a car that looks like it came from the demolition derby? Nah, he's paying cash and stopping for Twinkies and will take too long. Ford F-250 with double gas tanks – no way. Ah, there's a lane with only a small Toyota at the near pump with the far pump clear. I'll get behind her. And wouldn't ya know it, as soon as she's putting the cap on her tank, a bleach-blonde, female version of Hulk Hogan in an Escalade comes flying around the far side and parks at MY pump. I imagine using the Toyota as a battering ram to move that Caddy...

After years of gas-gridlock and near ˜gas-rage', I have learned to swing around and face out so my escape route is always clear.

Now don't even get me started about fuel discount cards. I usually follow this sequence – buy fuel, pull over to side and then go into the store to buy ˜stuff'. Flying J kindly let's you know AFTER you filled up on gas that your discount is ZERO until you spend a small fortune in their store. I had to get my magnifying glass out to see that message on the bottom of my receipt – when a receipt actually prints. My Good Sam/Petro card puts even more hurdles in the way. Pull up to pump. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING until you make your way the store, wait on a line, give them your discount card and THEN go back to pump your gas. By this time, three other brother motorhomer's are waiting patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) for the goof-ball who is trying to save 50 cents on a tank of gas.

So now I've ˜moved up' to the world of diesel and can mingle with the truckers. Where I can skate on a crust of dried fuel, wrestle with an Anaconda-like hose that spews foaming, diesel venom with the force of a fire hydrant. Oh, and realize my discount card is not accepted at the truck islands...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #3

Have you tried the Flying J RV pumps? I have always found them to be quite RV friendly. I don't like to use them with my diesel coach (but I have) due to the low fuel pumping volume (I generally take on 150+ gallons) but a gasser could get in and out easily and the time to fill would be reasonable.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Have you tried the Flying J RV pumps? I have always found them to be quite RV friendly. I don't like to use them with my diesel coach (but I have) due to the low fuel pumping volume (I generally take on 150+ gallons) but a gasser could get in and out easily and the time to fill would be reasonable.
While fueling with those pumps one can write a letter to mom and reconcile your check book.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Less tendency to foam up.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Has anyone tried Speedway? It seems most of the ones located at interstate offramps have the pumps parallel to the store.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I do look for Flying j, and I agree some are in need of updating, however it's much easier in and out. I don't like the slow pumps either, but being retired my time schedule is flexible. I did not know Speedway had different set ups. The ones I have used with the car I would not want to try with the MH.
A while back I needed gas saw a Pilot station got of the exit. The gas pumps were pretty full (as they should be) but no way would I fit. While trying to work my way around I noticed this long island of diesel pumps half full ! That's when I wondered why they didn't have a couple gasoline pumps maybe on the end? Most gas RV's would be the equilivent of 3 or 4 cars !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've often thought it would be nice if, in addition to rating campgounds and RV parks, Good Sam (or Woodalls, or...) would rate gas stations along the Interstate system for RV access. Perhaps they could come up with a little symbol or marker that the retailer could put on their road side signs that indicated they'd been inspected and "approved" for good RV access. The rating could include such things as good ingress and egress without the need to back up, as example.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
For me, Pilot is a PIA, and one of the worse stations to get into.
We either use Flying J or Maverick when on the road in Utah as they are better suited to RV s. Also found several T/A stations on I 15 arent bad either.
Iv also found some Shell and Cheveron stations that work great.