Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow-- Big time stuff,

We are getting ready for a short trip. I park my RV in the drive way and of course the rain, snow, etc cause "black streaks". I just bought a 32oz bottle, last week, of Clorox "Green Works" natural glass and surface cleaner. I sprayed a little bit on some streaks on the front wheel wells and "PUFF" they are gone. Then I hit the windshield with some--- the same results. Double and triple "WOW". I bought this stuff to use on the mirrors and glass in the coach. I said, I'm going to try this on these black streaks-- Best thing I ever did!!!

I've got a shelf full of polish and cleaning stuff at the home place -- including "Black Streak remover"-- None of this stuff holds a candle to this Clorox product.

Please post your results so everyone doesn't think I'm crazy-----

I'm going to take a picture of the product and post it-- that usually takes better part of a day for me. I wanted to share this with all our friends ASAP!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the tip on this new product. This sounds like I need to try it. Hopefully the stores in our area carry it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Max,

Have you tried it on the sidewalls? I wonder if it's ok to use on full body paint?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary--

Wal Mart carries it in the household cleaning supply area.

I just posted a picture for approval on iRV2.com-- should have it approved in a few hours.

I just went out and cleaned some more areas-- It's literally unbelievable-- The streaks just "melt" away !!!-- Absolutely no rubbing-- Like cleaning a mirror in the coach. I notice on the windshield it's a bit shiny and streaky but a damp Chamosis will take of that.

Bob,

I have full body paint--- absolutely no problem.

Keep posted---

Ahhh-- the moderators are woking hard today-- Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Someone can verify this, but I have been told to be very careful on the cleaning products that you use, especially on the roof. It was stated that you do not want to use any product that has a citrus in it. The birds will peck at the roof trying to get to the fruit.

I just avoid citrus based products altogether. Darn birds!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It does contain alcohol (ethanol) and soda ash so I wouldn't use it on painted surfaces unless you are going to rewax right away.

In the past I have used Protectall with great success on an aluminum clad travel trailer and a fiberglass motor home to remove black streaks. They came off quite easily.

Thanks for sharing this product with us Max.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Nonno:
Have you tried it on the sidewalls?
Here is a quote from the Green Works website:

"Petrochemicals are chemical products made from raw materials of petroleum. Green Works™ natural cleaners minimize the use of petrochemicals and are 99% petrochemical free."

Since it DOES contain petrochemicals, I probably wouldn't use it on tires or any rubber surface. Perhaps 1% wouldn't hurt, but...

ON EDIT: Here's another quote I found:

"Q: One manufacturer told me their roof treatment product had only aminor percentage of petroleum distillates, something like 20 or 30%. Does the percentage matter? A: No. Usually percentages given are based on weight. Since petroleum distillates are significantly lighter than water, in reality 30% by weight might be 40% or more by volume. But the percentageof petroleum distillates doesn't matter. THERE IS NO LEVEL OF PETROLEUM DISTILLATES THAT IS RECOMMENDED"

Here is the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for all Clorox Products, including their Green Works products.

Since it does have citric acid in it, don't use it on rubber roofs (that's because citric acid acts as a solvent and will to irreparable hard to EPDM roofing, not because of birds pecking at it).
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Getting ready for our spring trip in a few weeks. I will have to try this out since the coach has been sitting all winter and is looking bad.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding petroleum products--

I have used gasoline, straight out of the can to remove road tar from my vehicles all my life-- Never have I ever hurt the paint. I also have spilled gasoline during a fill up on my vehicles-- Then I'm looking for the windshield washer water to wash down and clean off the spill. Sometimes I'll mix a little Kerosene in with gas to clean tar or oily, dirty old parts-- Like when I rebuilt engines-- Gunk or commercial parts cleaners never does as good a gob.. Gasoline is the easiest tar cleaner to use I have ever used-- I never let it stay on longer than a few seconds when I use it.

I see absolutely, nothing but shine on the coach where I have used this green cleaner on my coach. Fine automotive rubbing compound doesn't work like this stuff does -- No rubbing required at all. As LindaH says, it's 99% petroleum free.

Just try a small area and see for yourself. It's great on glass and mirror's-- That's the reason I purchased it in the first place-- It's just by accident I stumbled upon using it on black streaks. I've been using "Stoners" for the glass and you have to work, and rub hard, on the glass black streaks. This product is fantastic to use-- Absolutely no rubbing, just wipe it off.

I'm amazed-----
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Hubrich:
I have used gasoline, straight out of the can to remove road tar from my vehicles all my life-- Never have I ever hurt the paint.
Paint, no; rubber products like tires and EPDM roofs, yes.
Quote:
I see absolutely, nothing but shine on the coach where I have used this green cleaner on my coach. Fine automotive rubbing compound doesn't work like this stuff does -- No rubbing required at all.
I'm sure it's fine for fiberglass/gel coat/painted surfaces. IMO, however, it shouldn't be used to clean tires or EPDM roofs. YMMV.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Great find Max. This is what I use.

Voom - Great all around cleaner at 5:1 mix. Black Streaks just mix it say 2:1.
Meguiar's Car Wash - Great stuff. It works better than Spic-N-Spam on the rubber roof.
Protect All - Good stuff. Easy on - Easy off Works great on the Diamond Shield that covers the front of my rig.
Plexus - This is the very best plastic cleaner/polish. It also works for Diamond Shield.
Micro Fiber Clothes - I use nothing else.

Now for glass cleaner I use Oemy's Ultra Glass Cleaner. My formula with clean water spots off. But, it is a GLASS ONLY cleaner.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho Dale: Noticed that you have RainX in your collection. Amazing stuff. The first time I used it we drove in arain storm and I diin't even turn on the windshield wipers. The water just blew off and the window was clear. Since then I use it also on our shower at home (glass) and cleaning is almost a thing of the past.

I still like my pressure washer for the motor home--20 minutes total.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yep... RainX works. But, if you follow the instruction you waste a lot of ot. I mix about 1 oz of Wink & RainX in a spray bottle. This mix will take off most water spots and leave a film of RainX. The key to making it last is NOT wash your windows with any kind of soap.

OBTW - After a few applications of Plexus to my Diamond Shield I can get the bugs off with just cool water and a micro fiber cloth.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great info, thanks