RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! check this out!

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...s-kind-in-utah
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #2

I wonder what's wrong with gravel and how long it takes them to reset the nets after they are tripped?
Goodspike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Not to mention that the truck will probably be destroyed, they don't know if the drivers will know they have a brake problem until after they pass the ramp, and they don't know if they will use it at all.
Seems like engineering overkill. And 5 million dollars ? what would a gravel ramp have cost ? and what are the maint and reset costs ?
Too many questions and not enough answers.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Not to mention that the truck will probably be destroyed, they don't know if the drivers will know they have a brake problem until after they pass the ramp, and they don't know if they will use it at all.
Seems like engineering overkill. And 5 million dollars ? what would a gravel ramp have cost ? and what are the maint and reset costs ?
Too many questions and not enough answers.
I agree....I bet reset costs would be at least a $100K with parts, labor and truck cleanup.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
They're claiming there will be minimal damage to the truck.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #6

Looks like it's going to wrap around the bumper. Seems to be like putting the nets up to stop an aircraft on a carrier.

Each net the truck hits pulls on another braking mechanism, starting gradually and then adding braking as the load slows.

If the trucker keeps the wheels straight, probably nothing but scratches, maybe cracked fiberglass in the hood.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #7

So in that entire video there's not a single clip of this type of ramp actually being tested? I agree there will be massive damage to any truck that uses it. The "nets" are steel cables and bars. Does anyone think the front end (including the bumpers) of any of these trucks are designed to withstand the braking force required to stop the runaway truck without damage?
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #8

Maybe they should install a tail hook like on F-18s landing on a carrier? This would require all trucks to have a tail hook.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #9

Were gravel runaway ramps ineffective for all of these years? Maybe I missed that part. Solution in search of a problem?
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They keep referring to nets....those nets are actually steel cables. What do you think will happen when they come in contact with fiberglass. It's going to slice things up like a carving knife. God for bid one of those cables rides up and decapitates the driver.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
So in that entire video there's not a single clip of this type of ramp actually being tested? I agree there will be massive damage to any truck that uses it. The "nets" are steel cables and bars. Does anyone think the front end (including the bumpers) of any of these trucks are designed to withstand the braking force required to stop the runaway truck without damage?
Yeah, and obviously those trucks were undamaged running across the intersection into assorted buildings. I'm sure no one was endangered by the runaway trucks.

Glenn
Old 10-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Yeah, and obviously those trucks were undamaged running across the intersection into assorted buildings. I'm sure no one was endangered by the runaway trucks.

Glenn
No one posting here is saying that a runaway truck ramp isn't needed. What is being said is that it's ridiculous for a state to spend 5 million dollars for installation of something that probably isn't any better than a tried and true gravel ramp.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #13

Lots of critics here...

If you look at photos of the gravel runaway ramps, they are nearly always installed with a steep uphill grade to them. The gavel is only part of the stopping power, pushing uphill into the gravel lets gravity to lots of the work. Since this net capture device appears to be on the end of a long downhill, there doesn't appear to be a way to install a gravel pit with an uphill grade.

Also, don't think for a second that a truck hitting a gravel pit leaves undamaged. Beyond the $4,000 to $5,000 tow bill just to get pulled out of the gravel pit, there is almost always severe damage to the undercarriage of the truck & trailer.

We also don't know from this story what was uphill from the intersection. For all we know, there could have been a couple of gravel pit runaway ramps further back.

From some of the comments on this thread, it seems that some would rather just let the trucks continue to hit whatever or whoever happens to be across the intersection.

Here's a video which shows a similar system in use. They also state that minimal damage is done to the truck.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #14

Looks like a Bad Idea. The Worst thing you can do to a run a way is to stop it Too quickly. Physics works against you, the truck and trailer stop But the load keeps moving. NHRA stops race cars that loose there Parachutes and/or Brakes with a gravel trap and Aircraft Carrier type catch nets. The nets have a certain amount of give to them to slow and stop. I was behind a truck hauling a large bulldozer on a long steep downgrade. He was loosing his brakes and said he'd have to hit the next run off ramp and was going to bail out right before he hit the trap. When I got their he was out and ok, The truck didn't fair as well. The front axle was jammed under the drive axles, the bulldozer had kept going and was sitting on the frame where the cab used to be. This was an early design Short ramp with deep gravel. They were redesigned to be longer with less deep gravel, to slow and stop instead of total stop.