Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #1

Xantrex inverter

I have a xantrex freedom 2000 watt inverter charger. It has settings for AGM, Flooded and Gel my question is will it work with lithium batteries? If anyone has experience with this information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
dillardgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #2

You charge lithiums on a timed basis. So in a nutshell,yes. In reality it is very damaging to lithium’s to be overcharged. I rigged two 20 amp wall timers in series (2nd was a fail safe) for a friends car he switched to lifepo4. But doing that to your inverter would make it a nightmare to use. Sooo a dc to dc charger is probably your best bet.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 PM   #3

Yes it will work but it is not fool proof. I have the same setup and you need to monitor your battery levels charge rate and state of charge and be able to shut down the charger before it is overcharged. YOU will need a shunt based monitor and watch it carefully to prevent a oops. You should also disconnect the “ bird” or whatever over type of combiner you have to prevent an overcharge condition from the alternator or alternator burnout, sooo a dc to lithium charger is probably the best solution. You would still need to disconnect the battery combiner to be safe
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillardgl View Post
I have a xantrex freedom 2000 watt inverter charger. It has settings for AGM, Flooded and Gel my question is will it work with lithium batteries? If anyone has experience with this information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The Xantrex Freedom X 2000 has many excellent capabilities. Most of them are designed to work with lead acid batteries. Using lithium batteries without a Lithium BMI on a Xantrex Freedom X is a recipe for disaster.

Using the Freedom X with a lithium battery and a BMI is possible (drop in replacements). The BMI protects the Li battery. However, the BMI cannot correct for optimum performance. If you know technical information about Li batteries and the Xantrex you may get by. The voltage charging and discharging profiles are substantially different between lead acid and Li.

Low voltage cutoff will not work. Li will be flat out dead by the time LVC is triggered. AGS will also not work. The Li battery will be too low to start the generator when AGS is triggered. Other things will not work or will provide false information.

Charging is also an issue. Never charge an Li battery and a lead acid battery on the same charging circuit. This rule is in the instructions for almost all Li batteries. So charging start battery and Li battery from the alternator on the same circuit is not good.

Choose Battle Born batteries as a source. Battle Born provides lots of advice on how to use their drop in replacements. They have a web page dedicated to what legacy chargers will work with their batteries. They will review your plans and give good advice.

Ask Xantrex if there is a way to convert your Freedom X.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:45 PM   #5

I have a Xantrerx RS2000. I"m told it will work but LiPo battery life is shortened.
I plan to replace that obsolete unit with a Xantrex 2012 unit that is designed for LiPo battery charging, even though I do not plan to use anything but LA AGM batteries.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:23 PM   #6

I have a 2000 watt xantrex inverter and it works fine with lithium. There's a video on it here:
https://www.xantrexenergy.com/produc...arger-815-2012
jtrillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 11:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It will work, but the charge parameters are not optimal for LiFePO4 batteries. In a nutshell, it will probably never bring it to 100% charge, but ought to get close. See what Battleborn Batteries has to say.

I don't see any way it could damage a 12v lithium battery that has a built-in BMS and just about any you buy as a "drop in" replacement for lead battery will include one.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, xantrex