Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
We found a "sweet spot"...we travel after Labor Day until the 1st of the year. Very seldom do we run into a full campground. Enjoy the laid back "off season" most places. In the peak of summer back home in MN, we reserve in advance for a few shorter trips. Weekends are usually FULL with a bit more flexibility Sun-Thurs. Technology has allowed us to get away from our offices for 3 or 4 months at a time without skipping a beat.
we did the same thing. saved up our vaca time and took the entire month of september off. no issues with spots other than labor day weekend. now when we travel it is almost always with reservations.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
We have already made our winter February and March reservations for 2021. Made them the first day (November 1, 2020) they were available and the park has already closed reservations for 2021.
Which park is that? Or what state? Thanks...
Old 01-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, we live in Fla......we can not get reservations instate, until May. Canadians fill the campgrounds , in the winter. PS, I don't blame anyone for coming down here, it's pretty nice
Old 01-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #60

Sorry if this comes off as rude; I don't mean it to be, but I'm going to respond to this in the best words I can.

It sounds to me as though there is the belief that "I had my RV first, I came to Florida before you started doing it, so get the hell off my yard!" Sorry, but that's not the way it works. Price and availability of ANYTHING are determined by supply and demand. In the winter, there's a huge demand for what only Central and South Florida can supply. North Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. are all pleasant but they are not that warm.

I've never taken a trip in the last twenty years when I didn't have a hotel reservation for each night. To be upset that someone's business is doing well because other people planned ahead just doesn't make sense to me.

As for new parks, they're being built all over and old ones are being redeveloped. Why? A whole lot of big-money rigs coming down the road. There's a beautiful new one in Palmetto Florida called The Tides which is open now, there's a new KOA being built in Fort Pierce opening later this year. There was a great article in Motorhome Magazine a couple of months ago touching on this.

We made the decision earlier last year to go full time, beginning in May of this year. Having visited and called more campgrounds than I can remember, this "overcrowding" is not a new issue. Any place within 30 minutes of the ocean or the gulf told us about how they fill up for next year, first from their current customers and then from their waiting list. They then told us the procedure to get on said waiting list. And, again, it was apparent to us that these procedures have been in place for a long while. We believe we have a place for next year, but only because we've done our work in January of this year.
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #61

If I were 20 yrs younger (I'm 71), knowing what I now know, I would be building an RV park. If you are an entrepreneur you should consider building an RV park. For the right plan I might be an agreeable investor.
Redwood_38RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood_38RL View Post
If I were 20 yrs younger (I'm 71), knowing what I now know, I would be building an RV park. If you are an entrepreneur you should consider building an RV park. For the right plan I might be an agreeable investor.
My wife and I (57 & 62) have thought the same thing but it kinda defeats the purpose of retirement! 😁
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
I heard somewhere that there are 70,000 people a day retiring. I dont know if that is true but here is how my winter trip is going.

For 18 years I have left ATL on Dec 31 for Fort Myers Florida, except for 2004 when we tried Texas. In the interest of flexibility We almost always travel without reservations. On the way down we would adjust our stop based on traffic, the tired factor and TV football games. When we were ready to stop we would call or just drive in to one of the many RV parks along I 75.

On March 1 we would head to Bartow to visit family for a few days, then back to ATL.

This year as we got near Ocala we started calling to check for availability. Guess what: NO VACANCY anywhere Wife finally found a spot at a fishing camp about 7 miles west of the interstate. Not the worst place we have ever stayed but likely in the top 10. With that experience fresh in my mind I decided to get a reservation for Bartow. Called our preferred place Sanlan RV park. Guess what: NO VACANCY. Still looking for a place but I have accepted that I will probably have to give up some of our freedom and plan trips tighter. Or sell it and travel by air or car. UGH

Indeed it is getting crowded everywhere. Forget the big parks. Luckily I can use Military RV camps but alas lately these are getting bad but not as bad as the others yet.
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It is not just the Baby Boomers, but many millennials are choosing to live permanently in RVs. Additionally, many construction workers are in RVs now as they travel for each job.

The RV parks are not keeping many short term sites, as the long term renter is guaranteed income. We find we have to reserve monthly summer or winter sites in the better climates a year out. Thinking very seriously about coming off the road as planning so far ahead takes the fun out of traveling.

Try getting a Corp or state park for a weekend unless you book a year out. Also getting a site for a week or two ... nope, weekends are booked.

Ken
[emoji106]
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #65

We live near Fort Myers and has been really busy for years, Check the Red Coconut near Fort Myers Beach, I think Ramblers Rest in Venice still has spots and Riverside RV park on Kings Highway going towards Arcadia but closer to Port Charlotte. Another on between Venice and North Port is Myakka River rv park, think they have some spots open
Radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
Yep.... and getting worse by the day. I'm fortunate that I have a brother near Tampa with room in his yard for me and a daughter near Gainesville, also with enough room in her yard for me.
Any rv spots around there? Wanting to go to the NHRA races and don't see much on google
Radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
Indeed it is getting crowded everywhere. Forget the big parks. Luckily I can use Military RV camps but alas lately these are getting bad but not as bad as the others yet.

I've got a secret. A military secret. Most folks don't know about my stealth full service military RV places. They are there and except for memorial day and labor day, they are empty.
HDGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #68

Just wondering what you liked better the traveling in the motorhome or the 5er?
Mitziebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #69

You can have our spot, we’re thru fighting the crowds, putting up with poor resorts, etc. we’re selling the motor home and going to buy a small tt for weekend get a ways near home.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #70

It’s not the governments job to provide you a place to park your RV. Remember this country is a capitalist one.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote