Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #43

My Super C did not have a spare. I went to a truck tire shop and bought a used tire and wheel so I do have a spare. Still need to figure out a mount for it, as being fully mounted it is a big heavy thing! I paid about $130 for everything out the door, mounted with new valve stem.

X2 make sure you have the proper tools also. Big enough jack to lift the motorhome and the right socket and breaker bar for the lug nuts.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a personal choice. I bought and carried an unmounted tire on my first RV. I never needed it and ended up tossing it because it aged out. So the money I "saved" by not buying one while on the road, was MINUS several hundred dollars. I had to throw away a tire that never saw a day of service. Some might say that I should have rotated it into use with my other tires, but that's even more money and more headache. I no longer carry one and I enjoy the extra cargo space.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
First, I would never pay that much good money to have spare rubber hanging around. I always use one of the best looking tires that comes off of the coach when new tires are installed. It doesn't matter that it has aged out. All I expect from the old tire is to get me to a location where a new tire can be installed.

The one that I now have in my rolling garage is date code xx03. It was removed from service in April of 2010 when I had all new tires installed just prior to my first trip to Alaska. It is still lashed to the inside wall of my "garage".

If a new tire is readily available from the ERS or a local company that will supply a tire to the ERS at a reasonable cost then I would have them install a new tire. If not then they can install my spare.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
....I always use one of the best looking tires that comes off of the coach when new tires are installed. It doesn't matter that it has aged out. All I expect from the old tire is to get me to a location where a new tire can be installed.

As I said, personal preference. In your case, if you carry an unmounted spare, you would have to pay to have your spare mounted on the bad tire's rim, ERS will not pay for this. You then have to drive on a questionable tire to who knows where, to have the spare removed again for placement of a new tire. If this is done on an aluminum wheel, you double the risk of damage to your nice wheel by having the tire R&R'd twice (I speak from experience). No thanks, but that's just me....to each his own.

Craig

Old 05-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #47

When we started looking at MH's I was up in the air about having a spare tire. But When we bought our used Dutch Star it had spare tire mounted on a wheel in one of the bays. We lucked out.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post

As I said, personal preference. In your case, if you carry an unmounted spare, you would have to pay to have your spare mounted on the bad tire's rim, ERS will not pay for this. You then have to drive on a questionable tire to who knows where, to have the spare removed again for placement of a new tire. If this is done on an aluminum wheel, you double the risk of damage to your nice wheel by having the tire R&R'd twice (I speak from experience). No thanks, but that's just me....to each his own.

Craig
Craig,

Maybe your ERS charges to change out a flat tire however the ERS that I have does not.

If you don't have Coach-Net Premier then for those that don't I would suggest looking closely at what they offer versus other ERS plans. You may be surprised.

Since I travel all over the NA continent I always have the best ERS available to me and Coach-Net Premier fits the bill.

I have had them service tires on my rolling garage twice now while traveling to and from Alaska. Once near Whitehorse Yukon and once in Calgary AB. Never a problem and I don't expect to ever have one.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
After being gouged a couple times in my trucking days I carry a spare. You can be at their mercy.
I agree 100% they will burn you if given half a chance. I carry a spare tire mounted on a spare rim, no exceptions.
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes or no on having a spare tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Craig,

Maybe your ERS charges to change out a flat tire however the ERS that I have does not.

Richard,

I have Coach-Net as well, have been with them a long time. You are correct, they do not charge to change out a flat, but I was referring to an unmounted spare. I have only had to use Coach-Net once...I had a flat tire associated with a bad valve stem. The job involved breaking the tire from the rim and re-mounting it after the valve stem was replaced. Coach-Net told me that they only pay for tire changes. If the service call involves mounting/unmounting a tire from a rim, it's considered a repair and the member is responsible for the extra cost. They did cover the initial service charge, but I had to cough up the difference.

Craig

Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #51

If you have more money than you need you don't need to carry a spare.