Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #1

Your RV Close-Call Traffic Accident Stories – There are

I was in St. Louis on the outerbelt I270 headed to I55 to go South towards Memphis. It was during afternoon rush hour an I was almost to I55. I was driving a 1999 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 40’ long towing a car. There were 6 lanes and I was in the right-most lane. Traffic was going about 65 and very tightly packed (typical for STL rush hour). I was going slower and kept a reasonable open stopping distance ahead of me.

I heard that gut-wrenching loud startling sound of a major collision. To my left about 5 cars up in the middle of the pack .... the corner of my vision saw a cube shaped car like a Kia Soul rise up in the air above the other cars … like this was happening in slow motion … while in the air the Kia Soul rotated 180 degrees … then in dropped back down out of sight in to the pack of cars (going 65). Then I heard repeated car accident collision sounds. I should be OK as I left adequate stopping distance but every car on the highway suddenly locked up their brakes.

Just ahead and beside me was a small car like a Fiat. He swerved over immediately ahead of me .... into by braking space and he solidly locked up his brakes. I had zero room to stop. However I was in the right most lane so to avoid hitting the little Fiat I Swerved my 40’ Vectra Grand Tour … pulling a toad … onto the paved shoulder. I knew I was going to hit the Fiat with the side of the RV it was unavoidable but better than hitting him from the rear. But by some miracle ...... I most of passed the Fiat by an inch. Somehow I drove along the shoulder and bypassed the entire conflagration without so much as a scratch. The whole thing seemed to me like it was happening in slow motion.

My adrenaline was peaked. I was shocked and shaken. I can’t believe to this day that I wasn’t somehow involved with the collisions.

Lot of good it did me to leave stopping space ahead of me. That Fiat didn’t need to Swerved in to my lane, much less right on my bumper and he had no reason whatsoever to lock up his brakes. He’s lucky he doesn’t have a Winnebago logo tattooed into his back side.

I feel better for haven't vented ....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

I was driving in St. Louis on a inter belt called I170. I was driving a 40’ Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour. It had very sparse traffic. I was in the right hand slow land doing about 55. A small car was flying up behind me, he pulled over to the middle lane and began to pass me. Suddenly he realized that he is missing his exit which we are just passing. But being the rocket scientist that he was he swerved over just a head of my bumper and locked up his brakes so he could slow down enough to “safely” swerved into the exit lane.

I had a brand new set of Michelin XRV’s that I had to lock up and smoke to avoid crunching him. I indubitable put flat spots on the tires from locking them up. It was literally a miracle that I didn’t run over his car and create road kill. I can’t imagine the physics works out that we could have stopped without and accident.

I guess he freaked out and did something stupid … probably wished he hadn’t … but my god you can’t make those kind of mistakes.

.... I feel better for having vented ....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Caddy SUV pass me on the shoulder in a construction zone. Then got ahead of me about 50 yards, then locked up his brakes. He didn't like me going the speed limit on his highway. Of course I stopped as fast as I could nearly locking up my brakes avoiding the ___hole by just inches. Luckily my cars aux brake was installed and my 35k lbs Discovery has antilock brakes. I still vision this nightmare at nights.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

This post should be titled. "Why I Use a Dash Cam". Stories like this are why I bought and wired into the ignition switch!!! If the engine is running, so is the dash cam!
Old 01-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
This post should be titled. "Why I Use a Dash Cam". Stories like this are why I bought and wired into the ignition switch!!! If the engine is running, so is the dash cam!
I wired my dash cam to an always on connection - that way it will keep running until I shut it off - whether the engine is on or not - sometimes the aftermath is more important than the event.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #6

I've had a few people pass me in the emergency lane because they were not paying attention as they tried to merge, got caught with no place to go because I was already there and couldn't move over. Been flipped off more than once because of this.
I have a dash cam that is always on when the ignition is on. I should have a big sign on the front that says "Smile for the camera".
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I've had a few people pass me in the emergency lane because they were not paying attention as they tried to merge, got caught with no place to go because I was already there and couldn't move over. Been flipped off more than once because of this.
I have a dash cam that is always on when the ignition is on. I should have a big sign on the front that says "Smile for the camera".

I had the same thing happen to me except the jackhole got into some rock on the side of the road and pitched it right into my windshield. I did everything I could to give the guy room, but he was too busy drinking a coke.

Good thing we have glass coverage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6873.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	314612
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #8

Yep you’d need a dash cam to prove the accident wasn’t your fault when those cars suddenly swerved into your lane and stomped the brakes.
I have 2 dash cams. One stays in my work truck, the other moves from car to rv as needed.

Closest call we’ve had in our first year of DP ownership, was a far too typical merging scenario , when someone tried to merge into us while we’re pulling a toad about 60 mph at night in the pouring rain and heavy traffic on I40 in the Hot Springs area. I couldn’t move over and neither braking or accelerating was going to help. I laid on the air horn and I guess the other driver managed to stay on the shoulder long enough to miss our toad.

The DW LOVES being woken up by our air horn don’t ya know! I only use it when something bad is about to happen lol.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had several close calls and because I was paying attention, managed to avoid an accident. We run a dash camera all of the time for the past few years. This one has an impact sensor that is supposed to stop recording if there is an impact. I do not want to try it out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
As inexpensive as dash cams are everyone should be using one. They won't prevent an accident, but they will show who is at fault.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
In Alaska had a moose jump in front of the coach, missed him by about 4 feet.

Heading north on 95 on our way to Q, a fool in a class C pulled left in front of me and left 3/4ths of his rig in my lane. Laid on the horn and brakes and if the south bound lane hadn't been watching and moved over so I could use their lane, we would have hit the C and most likely both of us would have been killed
Old 01-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
US1

What are you guys using for dash camers? I have a GoPro Hero 5Black I use for trail riding on the RZR that I turn it on when I want to record a hill climb or such, then turn it off. How are you storing all the footage of hrs upon hrs of driving?
Old 01-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #13

Driving through Abiline on I20, pulling our 40ft Cedar Creek 5th wheel with or 2014 F350. There was a truck in front of me about 75ft in front. An SUV merged on from the on ramp and pulled right in front of the truck in front of me. The guy in front of me slammed on his brakes and we slammed on ours. We rear ended the guy in front of us, spun him around and the tailend of his truck clipped a truck that was trying to get past. The truck we hit, eventually hit the overpass railing. We totaled his truck and the airbag sent him to the hospital (thankfully, no serious injuries). The guy he clipped received only body damage to his truck. Our truck was totaled. Bed was pushed up against the back window, damage to the frontend. The Superglide hitch was ruined also, but it held and kept the trailer from coming through our back window. No damage at all to our 5th wheel. Even though 3 witnesses came forward and said the guy that merged on started the problem and the guy in front of me slammed on his brakes, I was cited for following at an unsafe distance. No dashcam but as soon as I got my new truck, I installed one. Wish I'd had it for the accident.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #14

Driving my Cl a towing my 24' Pilothouse boat on a two lane road when a car stopped at an intersection road decided to pull out in front of me. I had to swerved to the oncoming lane to avoid hitting her. Fortunately there were no oncoming traffic. Then she decided to lollygag down the road at 45mph on a 65mph zone. UNBELIEVABLE.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote