Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
You've done it - don't do it - be safe

I have done this myself and should know better if you have rethink your setup.

This is what I witnessed today. A gentleman was pulling in behind his new MoHo to hook up his toad. He had a 12 year old boy guiding him at the back of the MoHo easing him in to position. The young boy signals to stop. Grandpa gets out of his Jeep and walks to the front of the toad. Unexpectedly the Jeep starts to roll forward. Grandpa races to the Jeep jumps in and, in his haste, accidently hits the gas not the brake! The Jeep races forward pinning the boy between the Jeep and MoHo. Grandpa panics and thinking his foot is on the brake continues to gun the Jeep into the back of the MoHo. The Jeep is now high centered on the hitch and locked in place unmovable with the young boy screaming in pain. No way to disconnect the Jeep and motorhome at this point. Moving the MoHo forward only drags the Jeep with it. It took the fire department and their jaws of life to lift and remove the Jeep from the MoHo.

The paramedics and police that responded where fantastic. One of the officers stayed with the boy and held his hand and offered him encouragement and support throughout his ordeal. He kept the boy calm and reassured he was going to be OK.

The young boy was a real trooper, tuff young man. He was scared and hurting but in the end I think he is going to be OK. Obviously there was some real damage to one of his legs but not life threatening and hopefully not life altering. However, Grandpa will never be the same I am sure of that.

My point in telling this story is to remind all of us not to stand between the coach and toad ever unless the brakes in both vehicles are set and secured. This was an unintentional mistake today and hopefully this young boy will recover completely, however it could have been a much greater tragedy don't let it happen to you.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My wife was helping me line up the hitch on the trailer once and I had to stop and ask her not to get between me and the trailer. Hope the boy recovers, thanks for sharing.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, that is terrible. Sure pray the boy will recover..... grandpa too.

I chewed out a friend one time for something similar. While guiding me back to a trailer hitch, he decided to move from where I told him to to stand. He stepped behind the tow vehicle, checking to see if the ball lined up with the hitch. I told him, "if my foot slipped off the brake, you'd never get out in time".

Always have your spotter stay off to the side but still in your sight.

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, it's a sad tragedy.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 PM   #4

The same sort of caution should always be used when guiding any vehicle, this includes pulling a motorhome into a garage, backing into an rv site, etc. Never stand directly in the path of travel.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Good advice! Hope the boy is OK!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That is tragic and I hope for a good recovery for the young man.
Another thing to think about is when unhooking the toad (that is usually in neutral) put your parking brake on or chock the wheels. I have seen a couple times where someone has unhooked the towbar and the toad will start to roll away.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Prayers for the young fellow for a complete recovery.

Friend was loading his car on a trailer. Had the wife stand on the hitch to guide him on. He had not locked the ball so as he drove on the trailer flipped up and threw his wife in the air. She landed on the hitch and broke several ribs. He should have known better as he had worked for years in the construction industry with a backhoe.

We have a rule when we are moving anything. If I cannot see you I am stopping. I also stop several times to check for myself what is happening and where I am positioned. Takes a bit of time but is the greatest aid to preventing a lifetime of problems.

Several things to consider:
1) Always move slowly.
2) Spotters stand to the side away from the path of travel.
3) If you cannot see your spotter - STOP.
4) Get out often to check your position and for any obstacles. Only you will know where you want to be and can verify it.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Grandpa needs to be re-certified to operate a motor vehicle.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

I don't recall how I learned to never use a human being for helping you "hitch up". It must've been back when I was growing up,.....on the farm.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #10

Interesting food for thought--I routinely stand between toad and RV while DW drives toad into proper alignment. Need to rethink the process but not sure how to get the alignment right without being in position to observe -- guess you could make multiple trips in and out with DW's foot on brake in between??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We have a rule when we are moving anything. If I cannot see you I am stopping. I also stop several times to check for myself what is happening and where I am positioned. Takes a bit of time but is the greatest aid to preventing a lifetime of problems.

Several things to consider:
1) Always move slowly.
2) Spotters stand to the side away from the path of travel.
3) If you cannot see your spotter - STOP.
4) Get out often to check your position and for any obstacles. Only you will know where you want to be and can verify it.
Right on the money Gordon. I learned these things from growing up on a farm. I seldom need people, but rather fixed points of visual reference. But if a situation does require two sets of eyes......I follow your list above.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

WHAT the H__L where you thinking?

pulling into a difficult spot with a steep slope on both sides of the entrance 5th tilted WAY TO FAR FOR SAFETY so my wife (without me seeing - on the blind side) decided it was a good idea "hold up the side" of our 11000lb 5th .

When I found out what she had done ...... we a (overdue) safety chat and to NEVER do something as stupid as that again.

I'm to old to start over ......
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I use to have DW drive the Jeep up to the back of the MH as I guided her from the side. once in place, I stepped in and hooked up one arm and told her to turn off the Jeep. This resulted in her flooring the gas peddle with the only thing keeping me from being crushed being the one connected arm! I jumped back as the arm and MH got jacked up and again asked her to turn it off... same result!! This was when I decided her Alzheimers had progressed to the point she could no longer drive. Now, I pull it up, jump out and check and repeat till I get it in place.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Interesting food for thought--I routinely stand between toad and RV while DW drives toad into proper alignment. Need to rethink the process but not sure how to get the alignment right without being in position to observe -- guess you could make multiple trips in and out with DW's foot on brake in between??????
Let's hope you aren't overinsured. Would hate to see you dw mistake the gas pedal for the brake.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote