Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Almost made it home

Almost made it home Thursday afternoon as planned. At about 4pm, at mile marker 34 on east-bound I-40, this happened.

Made sure the tow dolly was way off the interstate, took the affected wheel off, ordered a spare to get the dolly home.

We all should be home today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2664-1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	139819  
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

At least your safe. Sorry for your mishap.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As all ready mentioned "your safe" that's what matters.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
We did have a TPMS sensor on that tire. It was ALWAYS the hottest tire by 10 degrees or so. The wheel and metal valve stem weren't damaged. Suspect it was a bad tire.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
Old 09-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post
We did have a TPMS sensor on that tire. It was ALWAYS the hottest tire by 10 degrees or so. The wheel and metal valve stem weren't damaged. Suspect it was a bad tire.
Glad you are safe!

Trying to learn here...
Did the TPMS give any indication that the tire was getting worse just before this happened? Or, some indication that a catastrophic failure of the tire occurred? How did you know the tire had failed?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Glad you are safe!

Trying to learn here...
Did the TPMS give any indication that the tire was getting worse just before this happened? Or, some indication that a catastrophic failure of the tire occurred? How did you know the tire had failed?
No, no indication of anything catastrophic. A few miles previously, the TPMS sensor (TST 507 Flow Thru) was knocked off. The alarm went off and the tire pressure read zero (0 psig) for that particular tire. We pulled off and did a visual inspection of the tire. Other than the little brass piece of the sensor that was still on the valve stem, nothing was out of the ordinary. 10 miles later, we had what you saw in the picture. It appeared that someone took a knife and physically cut off the tire tread.

We have a spare mounted on the wheel now (Load Range C instead of D) which I used to get the dolly to my house.

Next project is looking for an actual replacement tire that can be used to transport the vehicle.

To your question as to how we knew we had an issue, there was a gentleman riding a Harley who pointed to the back of the rig.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Perhaps the sensor being knocked off created a leak around the valve stem and you were running basically flat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Perhaps the sensor being knocked off created a leak around the valve stem and you were running basically flat.
That is a possibility.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Frightening, so glad you're safe!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Wow! Glad it was just the tire & all other things & you are ok.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say it always ran 10 degrees hotter than the other tires...I use an IR gun every time I stop and if I see a tire that is 10 degrees or more above the other tires it tells me that tire is low on pressure.

There are reasons tires will vary in pressure...one is if the sun is on one tire and not another or heat from an exhaust depending on which way the wind is blowing but 10 degrees is a lot.

I will usually see about 5 to 7 degrees at the most.

Did you ever use a regular tire pressure gauge and compare the pressure of all the tires?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You say it always ran 10 degrees hotter than the other tires...I use an IR gun every time I stop and if I see a tire that is 10 degrees or more above the other tires it tells me that tire is low on pressure.

There are reasons tires will vary in pressure...one is if the sun is on one tire and not another or heat from an exhaust depending on which way the wind is blowing but 10 degrees is a lot.

I will usually see about 5 to 7 degrees at the most.

Did you ever use a regular tire pressure gauge and compare the pressure of all the tires?
Yes, he did.....every morning when actually traveling (it was sitting still for almost a week at the rally). And twice one day on the trip home. It tripped the TPMS sensor once that last day earlier (several hours before).

The pressure was a lb above its companion tire on the dolly that is still there.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I agree with Mr_D, that the failed Tp sensor broke, and leaving the broke remains on the valve stem, slowly let the air out of the tire, and you ran it flat! Happens, learn from it, and move on! The important thing is that nothing else was damaged, or caught fire, as it could have been really bad!
Did you run over anything, or rub a curb, earlier, that could have broke the TPMS? And I would call the TPMS co. and report the sensor failing, see what they say? Glad it was just a tire, and everyone is safe! Rail!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I

Been there done that!
Lucky for me we were in a campground in Tennessee. I was doing a walk around sipping my coffee waiting for my wife to get ready to go exploring in the jeep and it looked like my outside rear tire was low. It looked low because it was carrying most of the weight.
Lucky there was a tire shop about a mile away so I aired it up and took it over all was good in under a hour round trip and $42.00 to the shop and a $20.00 tip to the fella that fixed it.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote