Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com International Rally
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Mother Nature is in Charge

So, a 5.8 earthquake strikes in Virginia, south of Richmond. I bet the folks over in Urbanna felt it! Now, Irene is headed for the area. Hopefully, everyone will weather the storm.

I remember when I was a kid living in North Arlington, NJ, when a hurricane hit. I believe it took basically the track as the current storm. I know for certain, that it knocked some big old Linden trees down that were standing for many years on fourth street. Bob and Al should remember that storm. Then of course, Hurricane Andrew destroyed much of our home in Homestead in 1993, 19 years ago yesterday.

Yes, Mother Nature rules!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Though we've lived in Florida for over 50 years, I've gone through more hurricanes as a kid in New England during the mid 1950s. Those were unusual years for storms in the northeast. Hope that cycle isn't repeating. OTOH, Florida (especially the west coast) is beating the odds again.

I expect the folks at Bethpage are a little busy right now.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
So, a 5.8 earthquake strikes in Virginia, south of Richmond. I bet the folks over in Urbanna felt it! Now, Irene is headed for the area. Hopefully, everyone will weather the storm.
Bob, ... and all others interested.

I just called the campground (Bethpage) and aside from moving reservations around from this weekend to next (other), it doesn't seem that they are overly excited about Irene. The campground is not closing. I bet that the Rappahannock will be backing up quite a bit since Irene is coming right up from the south.

On TV's Weather Channel recently ... there was a series called, "It could happen!" One of them was about New York harbor being impacted by a large hurricane. It wasn't a pretty scenario. There isn't a lot of free-board in lower Manhattan. Some of the models have Irene tracking right up Lower New York Bay.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

=
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Bob, ... and all others interested.

I just called the campground (Bethpage) and aside from moving reservations around from this weekend to next (other), it doesn't seem that they are overly excited about Irene. The campground is not closing. I bet that the Rappahannock will be backing up quite a bit since Irene is coming right up from the south.

On TV's Weather Channel recently ... there was a series called, "It could happen!" One of them was about New York harbor being impacted by a large hurricane. It wasn't a pretty scenario. There isn't a lot of free-board in lower Manhattan. Some of the models have Irene tracking right up Lower New York Bay.
I'm schedule to check in on thursday 9-1 and I have been trying to call there and they're not answering the phone, i dont know what to do? Does anyone know if they hit by the storm, i dont wan to drive there to find out that they are closed, if any one knows how things are there please let me know. thanks Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Hi CoastieSCPO

North Arlington Weathered the storm pretty good. We had alot of downed Trees and Electric Wires. Toward the end of the storm The Passaic River overflowed its bank and we lost River Road for a couple of hours. I never saw that before. Ricky's Firehouse had to be abandoned until the water receeded.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Bob View Post
Hi CoastieSCPO

North Arlington Weathered the storm pretty good. We had alot of downed Trees and Electric Wires. Toward the end of the storm The Passaic River overflowed its bank and we lost River Road for a couple of hours. I never saw that before. Ricky's Firehouse had to be abandoned until the water receeded.
It's too bad that the firehouse got flooded and certainly hope that there was not very much damage. I really hope and pray that the water didn't go up the stairs where my dad and grandfather's names are on the wall with all the other men.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote