Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome!!! Enjoy looking for your RV...it is a lot of fun. We had a class C for 11 years and recently upgraded to an A. it's not a diesel though. Anyway, jump right in and post questions or comments..whatever suits your fancy.
Will be interested in what you finally choose!!

Let the memories begin...
Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring View Post
Paul and Vicki, thank you for the insight and really glad you love your new rig.

Quick question for you. In the research that we've done, we've heard that FRED's are not usually preferred because of the motor being up front when driving.. we read something about "teeth rattling"... and the generator being in the back while sleeping.

Any truths to these concerns in your opinion and experience?

E&B
E&B

On our FRED the generator is not in the back but in the center drivers side. Although we have never used it while sleeping it is very quiet and really don't think the noise would be any issue.
As far as a "teeth rattling" experience I totally disagree. Yes you do get more motor noise since it is up front, but far less than a gas version. And since the Tiffin model FREDS did not have airbags the ride is not as smooth as our old diesel pusher was but very acceptable and far smoother than our Georgetown gasser and affording us one less breakable to worry about.
The fact that the bedroom floor is flat rather than the raised area over the bed as well as having the entrance door center stage are items that we really appreciate. We also get 10+ miles per gallon compared to 6-7 on the pusher.
For us the FRED was the perfect combination.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #18

Carolina Campers
Welcome

Take your time to pick one out. It sounds like you have a lot of "clients" that will pay you significant buckets of money, so let them buy you one of those $2M rigs with everything that money can afford.....

Dream on!
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulandvicki View Post
E&B

On our FRED the generator is not in the back but in the center drivers side. Although we have never used it while sleeping it is very quiet and really don't think the noise would be any issue.
As far as a "teeth rattling" experience I totally disagree. Yes you do get more motor noise since it is up front, but far less than a gas version. And since the Tiffin model FREDS did not have airbags the ride is not as smooth as our old diesel pusher was but very acceptable and far smoother than our Georgetown gasser and affording us one less breakable to worry about.
The fact that the bedroom floor is flat rather than the raised area over the bed as well as having the entrance door center stage are items that we really appreciate. We also get 10+ miles per gallon compared to 6-7 on the pusher.
For us the FRED was the perfect combination.
Appreciate your insight Paul and Vicki! I keep hearing the term AirBags and I was thinking they were safety measures like in a car. (See my signature quote) I'll have to do some more research on this. Thanks again!

Eric
exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Welcome

Take your time to pick one out. It sounds like you have a lot of "clients" that will pay you significant buckets of money, so let them buy you one of those $2M rigs with everything that money can afford.....

Dream on!
We're definitely not making any quick decisions. That's for sure. As far as a $2M dollar rig? Only if we hit the lottery! Which would be pretty tough considering we don't play it. lol.

We're blessed to have some great clients, but whatever gave you the impression that we're rolling in the big bucks was perceived incorrectly. We're looking for a used DP maybe somewhere around the 100K range.

All the best.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #21

Carolina Campers
Frankly, your OP sounds over the top to me.

Your "generosity" to senior citizens seems a bit wired. There are a lot of con-artists out there that pry on senior citizens or other gullible people. Making themselves appear to be a trusted friend or service provider is the method used to get their foot in the door.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
First of all, Facebook and twitter are easy to use and self explanatory. But can you imagine the personal information that you expose to someone that is helping you set up your accounts, let alone anyone that you allow to have access.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Concerns Valid

Quote:
Frankly, your OP sounds over the top to me.

Your "generosity" to senior citizens seems a bit wired. There are a lot of con-artists out there that pry on senior citizens or other gullible people. Making themselves appear to be a trusted friend or service provider is the method used to get their foot in the door.
Your concerns are valid. I know there are a lot of con-artists out there that try and take advantage of the elderly. It drives both Brittany and I nuts! My mother has been a victim to this and now she's paranoid. (Sometimes rightfully so)

Brittany and I have volunteered at senior homes, Brit plays the piano for them during Christmas. And both Brittany and I really do have a heart for the Senior Citizens of our country. I appreciate your candor though and understand your skepticism.

Get to know us though. I really don't appreciate being generalized with those unsavory types and in all honesty it's not fair.

Respectfully,

Eric
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Facebook and Twitter are easy to use?

Quote:
First of all, Facebook and twitter are easy to use and self explanatory. But can you imagine the personal information that you expose to someone that is helping you set up your accounts, let alone anyone that you allow to have access.
First let me start by saying that you should NEVER give your password and login credentials to anyone for any platform online. Not even to the people who are helping you with social media.

Having said that, Facebook and Twitter are easy to use for those comfortable with the platforms.

For Facebook, many seniors who we've helped in the past aren't quite sure how it really works, what can be seen when they send a message and what the difference is between a post or a message. They don't understand the difference between groups and pages. (From a technical standpoint they are indexed differently by the Search Engines and also differently depending on the search engine) For example: While Google does not have access to private profile information on Facebook, Bing does. It has to do with the API. Pages are indexed across the board, while groups are not. I could go on for hours, but you get the picture.

Most seniors that we've helped just want to be able to stay in touch with their family using the platforms, but they are concerned about security and privacy. So we simply help answer their questions. Some are as simple as how do I post a picture? Others as complex as can you explain the Facebook EdgeRank Algorithm to me?

For Twitter it's not as simple as most think. Even for people who use the platform on a daily basis. For example did you know that if you start off a Tweet with the @symbol that it only goes to the person who you tweeted it to and anyone who is both mutually following you and the person you tweeted it to? Twitter has a significant learning curve.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue. My offer to help people is sincere and though I can understand your skepticism, those who offer to help are not always scoundrels.

Respectfully,

Eric
Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you John and Cathy! Appreciate the welcome.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
Welcome!!! Enjoy looking for your RV...it is a lot of fun. We had a class C for 11 years and recently upgraded to an A. it's not a diesel though. Anyway, jump right in and post questions or comments..whatever suits your fancy.
Will be interested in what you finally choose!!

Let the memories begin...
Thanks Penster! When we first started looking for full time rigs we were looking at Class C's. After talking with a lot of folks and hearing differing opinions we decided to switch to Class A.

We've heard that many folks full time in a Class C and are very happy doing it, but after all of our research for our tastes I think we've narrowed it down to Class A DP. Though we just saw the "Crossover" by Forest River and thought that was an interesting concept. Of course that led to research on the ACE and Palazzo (I think it was called) But all in all I think we're still stuck on a Class A DP.

Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #27

Eric & Brittany, welcome to the group, also thank you for your service to our country. I was an air force puke myself! We are full-timers and tiffin owners, so we can give you a little insight. We have a 40' Allegro Bus, and have lived in it for four years now. Still have a hard time trying to find anything we would trade it for. Tiffin has four grades of diesel pushers. The Red, Phaeton, Bus and Zephyr. We like the bus because it has an independent front suspension, smart wheel (cruise control and wipers on the wheel), aqua-hot (diesel on demand furnace and hot water), larger engine (400 Cummins). We bought ours 2.5years old, and it has been relatively trouble free. Also because of the support Tiffin has given to owners even if we had no warranty. They are still in business, and are a great source of parts and information. The TRVN (tiffin RV network) is made up of owners and the forum (tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum) is a great place to get help for any problems you may have. We are currently using a Verizon mifi for our internet and although it does have 4G speeds in those areas, we are not in a good reception area right now so we are a little frustrated right now. The good thing is we have wheels A lot of people are using mellinicom (sp) which transmits from Verizon towers, but seems to be a little better deal moneywise. Again welcome to the group, and hope we get to see you on the road someday. Steve

ps: another good group to check out is escapees.com
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Eric and Brittany,

First of all, Welcome! I am also very new to this board, so much I haven't even introduced myself yet because I am waiting to take ownership of the MH I just purchases.

Anyway, I was curious of the technology you are considering for your internet. My wife and I both have opportunities to work from home (wife full time, me part). Need a good solution. We have the MiFi card, but we are eating up the gigs in a hurry.

Thoughts?
djenkins452 is offline   Reply With Quote