Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

2002 Fleetwood Flair hazard flasher location

On our last trip in our 2002 Fleetwood Flair, I was crawling up a steep mountain with the hazard flashers going to warn following traffic of my slow speed. After 10 minutes or so, the flashers stopped working, and at the same time, so did the brake lights.

Since the turn signals continued to work, I've assumed that the hazard flashing function is controlled by a flasher separate from the turn signal flasher. The hazard flasher seems to flash the brake lights, until it stopped doing so, and also any brake light function as well. I've checked in vain for this hazard flasher under the dash; also checked all fuses. One auto electrician has told me that the dual flasher arrangement is common on rv's, even though a Ford truck/auto only uses one flasher for both turn and hazard functions. I've tried in vain to pull a wiring diagram from the internet, and since Fleetwood was acquired by REV in 2009, there's no corporate joy to be found there either, as REV is uninterested in helping me.
Any help in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Duett59
Duett59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome.

Sorry I cannot help but someone will be along who can.

Good luck and continue to enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

Duett59-

Check fuse 9 on the Ford Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel. You can usually find the PCFP attached to the firewall under the dash to the left of the steering column. Some coaches have hinged dashes; when swung upward, you may find the PCFP there.

Online owner's manual for a 2002 Ford F-53 chassis is here. The PCFP info starts on page 41 of the manual.

Ford has used the same relay for flashers and turn signals on a number of model year's F-53 chassis. Also, the fuse 9 can feed both the flasher and the brake switch (i.e., the brake lights) on some model years. I don't have diagrams for a 2002, so I can't say for certain if this info applies to your coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #4

2002 Fleetwood Flair hazard flasher location

l1v3fr33ord1-
Thanks for your reply to my query. I cannot find the Ford Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel, either under the dash or the firewall under the hood. Looking up the owner's manual illustration of the PCFP shows 41 fuses, with the #9 you refer to as the "stoplamp" fuse, which sounds like it should be the solution to the problem. There is a fuse panel on my firewall, but it only has 16 fuses, none of which are numbered, and all of which are not blown. Also on the firewall is the Power Distribution Box, but these relays and fuses aren't related to the "stoplamps", and also none of these fuses are bad.
I've replaced the brake light (stoplamp) switch on the brake pedal; next I will check the plug on the brake light switch to check for power there. However, I'm still stumped because I can't find a blown fuse or flasher anywhere that would stop the brake lights from working. This should be a simple problem to solve, but without location of the components, the fuse panel illustration is almost useless.
I remain stumped. ?????
Duett59
Old 05-15-2021, 04:32 AM   #5

Duett59-

Two pictures of potential locations for the PCFP, if not attached to the firewall inside the coach.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

More 2002 Fleetwood Flair PCFP location

L1v3fr33ord1-

Thanks for the photos, but unfortunately, I'm pretty well convinced that the PCFP is not part of the wiring on this coach. Your first photo shows the instrument binnacle lifted up to reveal the PCFP; on mine, the binnacle is hard-mounted to the dash, so I removed the instrument panel face and took a good look under the dash without finding the PCFP or a flasher that's separate from the turn signal flasher whose location I know. The second photo shows a lift-up tray that reveals the PCFP under it; mine has no access at all, so no PCFP there, either. There is a 16 fuse panel on the outside of the firewall, with no numbers or key, but also no blown fuses.

So, going on the premise of a wiring harness that does not include the PCFP, I'm going to run a hot wire and fuse to the correct wire at the multi-function switch so that I'll have brake lights. Once that is done, then I'll see if the hazard flashers will also function. I've jumped the multi-function switch earlier in this process and got the brake lights, but don't remember about the hazard flashers. Also, I've tested the brake switch at the brake pedal and found that it works fine. I got a replacement multi-purpose switch which gave me no joy, i.e., no hazard flasher, when plugged in to the harness.
Thanks for your help on this. I figure, at worst, I'll have the brakelights, but no hazard flashers. If there is a separate flasher for the hazard lights, they've really hid it!

Tags
air, cat, fleetwood

« Jack System | Tires »