Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #1

A newbie with a few insecurities, lol

Hello! I've been reading the forums for awhile but decided to join as everyone seems friendly and willing to help. I feel that this will be a good place to learn and get information.

We have owned a travel trailer in the past which we used for work (towing to each location) and currently own for more than 25 years a travel trailer which is on a permanent site and used during the warm months as a "get away". It's used like a small home and we are familiar with every inch of it and have done renovations to modernize it .

We decided to purchase a motor home and spent much time researching brands and settled on 3 - and eventually purchased one that was beyond our hopes of finding. It is an older Monaco 44' and a beauty! We are so pleased with it.

My husband's skill sets include the mechanics needed to maintain it plus the driving ability acquired from driving large trucks (has a CDL) and farm equipment, so the driving isn't a problem.

He has spent 2 months inspecting and repairing (lucky for us, little needed repairs) so we are almost ready to go out on the road. We spent a night in it parked in the drive so we could get a feel of staying overnight and all was good.

But here is the thing - it is so much of a motor home, that we almost feel over whelmed with the systems and what we must know to operate it. Is this because we are type A personalities, lol? We are going to give ourselves a year and see if this works for us or if we need to go smaller.
Since there are so many experienced folks here, I wonder if others have felt this way.

Thanks for the input.
BP120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. You will find a bunch of folks willing to help. Just ask away. And yes, a motorhome can be overwhelming at first. Make sure you have the manuals for all the equipment, and become familiar with them.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
BP120 --

Welcome to the forum! There are many great forum members willing to provide help anytime! Don't hessitate asking any question as we're all on the continual RV learning curve!

Like you, I have a 30 foot travel trailer that I used for my temporary home for three years while serving as a Project Manager for large capital projects. After the project assignments completed, the TT became the family toy to enjoy LSU football weekends (a big upgrade from "tent" tailgating!). As more grandkids arrived, my extended family outgrew the TT and we decided to upgrade to a diesel pusher motorhome (a 2007 Damon Astoria 3774).

At first the wife and I felt overwhelmed by what we thought was the complexity of the motorhome. The complexity and anxiety went mostly away when through the help if iRV2.com forum members I came to think about the motorhome in two separate pieces -- the coach and the chassis. The coach side of a motorhome is not much different than an travel trailer -- air conditioners, fridge, stove, awnings, power cord, water hose, sewer hose, slide outs, levelers, etc. As such not a lot to learn for the coach side of a motorhome.

The "chassis" side of a diesel pusher motorhome for me had the steep learning curve starting with me never before owing a diesel engine powered vehicle nor air brakes / suspension system, etc. It didn't take too long to understand the basics of the "chassis" (bus) side of my motorhome but I'm still learning the details.

Think about having a "travel trailer riding on top of a bus frame" may help simplify thing for you a bit. Once you've climbed the learning curve a bit, you never trade the size, comfort and conveniences of your motorhome for a travel trailer.

There is a "Monoco Owner's" sub-forum on iRV2.com that you should frequent to help learn about your coach and to have experienced Monoco owners to ask for help -->

Again, welcome to the forum and feel free to seek help anytime!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Nice to have you onboard with us.

Yes they can be overwhelming but that’s also part of the experience. You’ll eventually get it all sorted out.

Browse the forums and ask questions you’ll find many members eager to help you.

Make yourself at home and let us know what we can do to help you.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can. You quickly will have things under control.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #8

Congrats on your new rig

Enjoy to the fullest.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #9

Thanks to all of you for your good advice. We have done most of the steps suggested here- we read all manuals and organized them for reference. We have made charts and tables for operating the chassis and inside ( we were operations managers so organizing is second nature to us) and have reference sheets of comments we read on this site and other sources.
So for my personality seeing in print helps with me processing the information. Additionally, since we have spent so much time checking out the chassis and mechanics of it, the familiarity of dealing with systems has really helped ease our doubts.
Truthfully since my husband has the mechanical and driving skills to handle this coach and this isn’t a concern for us, i really wonder how folks without this background deal with the complexities of these types of rigs.

As most of you said, we will ease into the rv lifestyle and i am sure it will be a highlight of our lives. We cant wait to meet folks on our journeys. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I hope to have enough experience in time to offer advice to others!
Old 09-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP120 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your good advice. We have done most of the steps suggested here- we read all manuals and organized them for reference. We have made charts and tables for operating the chassis and inside ( we were operations managers so organizing is second nature to us) and have reference sheets of comments we read on this site and other sources.
So for my personality seeing in print helps with me processing the information. Additionally, since we have spent so much time checking out the chassis and mechanics of it, the familiarity of dealing with systems has really helped ease our doubts.
Truthfully since my husband has the mechanical and driving skills to handle this coach and this isn’t a concern for us, i really wonder how folks without this background deal with the complexities of these types of rigs.

As most of you said, we will ease into the rv lifestyle and i am sure it will be a highlight of our lives. We cant wait to meet folks on our journeys. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I hope to have enough experience in time to offer advice to others!

Welcome to IRV2 forums! We are seasoned campers coming from a 30' Airstream to a 40' Monaco Diplomat. When I joined IRV2 I immediately joined the Monaco owners sub-forum and have already learned a lot about the chassis and specialty functions we didn't have with the Airstream like the inverter and generator.

Join the Monaco owners section for specifics to Monaco and keep active on the general site for general info. When we had our Airstream I was an active participant in the www.airforums.com. I could always find the info I needed from a wealth of knowledge specific to Airstreams.

Again, welcome and congratulations on your Monaco ownership.
Tomevansfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #11

Good advice

Thanks, I plan on joining the Monaco forum, even though I don't have any mechanical experience, I enjoy reading about the issues and resolutions others have had.

thanks again for the warm welcome.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #12

My wife & I have been RV'ing since we married 22 yrs ago. We're late bloomers, LOL. Married before, finally found each other. We have found there is no substitute for experience. We have had 4 motorhomes during that time. So, learning new systems comes to all of us as we trade up. Just do some close trips and even more driveway camping to learn the systems. Things I am just learning are; using a 30 amp service when I am used to having 50 amp. Make sure the water heater is off during the times you need that AC running. And, don't start the microwave while the AC is on. Simple stuff, but things to remember or learn as you gain experience. ALWAYS be patient & kind with each other! Enjoy!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice

We are more comfortable and familiar with it and have spend a good amount of time in it, going over all of the systems. It's become a hobby just to open it up and study the systems Our first road trip is being planned now. We are going to visit friends a few hours away as it will be far enough to see how it operates (we purchased out of state and brought it home in an 11 hour ride with rain the entire time! and no issues then) and close enough to get home should we encounter difficulties.

I appreciate all of the helpful info from the forum folks!

Tags