Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Advice for newbies USE DISPOSABLE GLOVES

We've been travelling since Jan 1st and I have seen about 1/3 of people using dump stations without gloves or with ones they reuse and put back until next time. STAY HEALTHY disposable gloves are cheap, then enjoy rv"ing
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Washing hands is more sanitary, especially since if you take your germ-infested gloves off with your hands, they're now all germ-infested too, so...off to wash them!

I guess if you take the gloves off with your teeth you could avoid the handwashing thing altogether, though.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 Bob! We're sure glad to have you!

That's excellent advice! Should be just plain common sense, but that sometimes seems to be kind of scarce!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I keep a box of the blue latex gloves on board. They come off inside out and are easily disposed off. Excellent advise. Should monogram them with IRV2 or makes of rigs.....probably make millions selling them.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Not only will they keep you healthy. But use them for doing maintenance jobs to make you hand clean up easy
mecfd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got taught by a nurse how to take gloves off: pinch the right glove near the wrist with left finger & thumb and pull off. Scrunch up in left palm. Insert right index finger in wrist band of left glove and pull off. Glove is now inside out and hands never touched the dirty side.

I guess the people who handle their sewer hose without gloves are the same ones that use the drinking water spigot to rinse the hose.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with you. Use gloves. And you start one hand taking off them the other with gloves on. Them they are inside out. Easy. The guy who uses teeth. Well good luck.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #8

Hello, my 1st post on this forum. I find this interesting! I have been a plumber for over 45 years and I am living proof that a little "dirt" won't kill you. I have never picked up a single disease or virus from a waste line....granted, I don't bite my finger nails or lick my fingers, just wash them with good ol' soap and water. I do rinse my tank(s) with the same supply as I drink, it is just equipped with a back-flow prevent er to prevent cross-connection between potable water and possible waste water. I say this and honestly believe that "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger! Thanks!
sngplb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep a pair of rubber glove is the wet bay. Use them to connect and disconnect the slinky, then I wash them off with disinfectant and put them back into the bin. Avoids wasting resources like disposable gloves.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Washing hands is more sanitary, especially since if you take your germ-infested gloves off with your hands, they're now all germ-infested too, so...off to wash them!

I guess if you take the gloves off with your teeth you could avoid the hand washing thing altogether, though.
If you learned in a medical setting how to take off your gloves, you'd know how to do it without cross contaminating your hands!

How do you want to wash them if there is no washing possibility outside your coach? Anything you touch getting to the washing facility will be contaminated.

The best way to do it, use disposable gloves and once the gloves are removed, use one kind of waterless hand disinfectant, and let the solution dry on your skin.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sngplb View Post
Hello, my 1st post on this forum. I find this interesting! I have been a plumber for over 45 years and I am living proof that a little "dirt" won't kill you. I have never picked up a single disease or virus from a waste line....granted, I don't bite my finger nails or lick my fingers, just wash them with good ol' soap and water. I do rinse my tank(s) with the same supply as I drink, it is just equipped with a back-flow prevent er to prevent cross-connection between potable water and possible waste water. I say this and honestly believe that "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger! Thanks!
As somebody who made his living with infection control and prevention, I would say you were just one very lucky guy. In most situations things that don't kill you weaken you, and make you suffer more when the next infection hits you!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use a "Y" from the spigot to the drinking and garden hoses. First I put my white hose away.

Then I drain the tanks, black first, then rinse with gray. Next I remove the sewer hose, put the caps on both ends and put it in it's sealed container.

Then I clean my hands with lots of anti-bacterial cleaner that I keep in the sewage bay.

Lastly I put away the power cord.

It's all in the order that you connect and disconnect. I spray the spigot with bleach water when I arrive and when I leave too. I've seen dogs use them as fire hydrants.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
. I spray the spigot with bleach water when I arrive and when I leave too. I've seen dogs use them as fire hydrants.
X 2 on disinfecting the spigot. However, I was told (on this forum I believe) that premixed 50/50 bleach and water loses its potency after 24 hours. I now use spray bottles of Lysol for the spigot. It's also good for disinfecting hands, something I wouldn't like to do with bleach.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

I use the scalding hot water from my coach outside spray hose to rinse the slinky. Hand sanitizer is mounted in my wet bay.

Tags
newbies