Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Another Newbie

Hello All,

I'm a newly minted member of this forum and a new member to the RV community. I hope to learn from all of you. I purchased (regretfully) a 1996
Itasca Sunrise 31RQ on a Ford F53 Super Duty chassis last fall. It was rough but the previous owner assured me that it didn't need anything major and could be driven cross country without any problem. That was last fall and so far it hasn't left the storage lot. Shortly after taking the keys, I found out that rear tires were shot, the steering stabilizer was crushed, the right exhaust manifold was leaking, one of the fuel vapor canisters is damaged, the front A/C compressor was locked up and completely failed compromising the entire A/C system, the furnace didn't work, the radiator leaked and the windshields leaked inside like waterfalls in the rain. And the only thing that was supposed to be wrong with it was the headliner needed to be replaced. It hasn't moved from the spot it's parked in (well I did move it a couple of times and one of those times I hit my brick mail box with the right rear corner causing damage but that's another story). BUT I still want to make a go of it so it now has a new set of tires, a new right exhaust manifold, a new water pump, radiator, radiator hoses, A/C compressor, serpentine belts, a new furnace ignitor and the mouse nest has been removed from the burners, new steering stabilizer, and I have a new A/C condenser, expansion valve and evaporator that I still need to install then I need to make custom A/C hoses and fittings to make the A/C work. If all goes well I'll take it with my wife dog and our newly adopted daughter on it's maiden voyage. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how things progress from here.

Best regards to all,
John
FrankenHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #2

Welcome John! Sounds like you've got your hands full with that one! We are newbies on here and doing our research before we go full-time. This forum has been great and a wealth of information. I hope you find it as useful as we do! Again, welcome and hope to see you somewhere down the road!

Ron and Marybeth
RonandBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Hi Ron and Marybeth,

Thanks for the reply and I have lot to learn. By-the-way, there was supposed to be a comma between the wife and dog!

John (and Doris)
Old 06-21-2015, 04:10 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi john
Sorry to hear that you have had so many problems. We all buy our RVs with the anticipation that all will be okay.
Keep us posted so we can hear of the good times you are having!

TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It look's like most everything is getting done. Several ways to look at it, it's a adventure where memories are around every corner [no price on memories], sorry that the previous owner wasn't truthful. I'm sure you'll be fine and have a great time with your purchase. Good luck and post how your doing with pictures. Safe, trouble free travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Newbie Guidance

Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I need some guidance on how to use this forum. As I progress with my restoration project where do you recommend I post my progress and questions? For example, because the A/C compressor had a complete failure and the system was open to the atmosphere for who knows how long and rust built up on the inside of a/c lines I'm rebuilding the complete system, some parts are OEM and others are aftermarket that I have to make work. I can post the repair as I go. I also have a couple of questions on the heater hose routing to the water pump and intake manifold. Where would I post technical questions?

I'm in Chesapeake, VA and I'm getting ready to head out into the blazing sun to resume my project and work on the A/C system. I'll check in later tonight.

Best regards and a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!
John
Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

1. Yes, welcome to the forum
2. I post the pictures to the photo's tab at the top of this page, then add those photos to my posts when I want.
3. Yes, please do post details of your repairs. We all learn from the experiences of others, when we can
4. Yes again, happy Father's Day to you as well
5. I did not notice the missing comma till you pointed it out, but often you can go back to a recent post (I don't know for how long) to correct things like spelling and punctuation. I use it all the time and catch spelling errors.
6. Good luck with this project. Hopefully your biggest bumps are behind you.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum FrankenHome. You've got a great sense of humor. You will do well here! Best of luck on your project!

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (in production), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655