Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #1

Basement A/C

I have a 1995 HR Navigator with the a/c mounted underneath. The other day, I had it running with the a/c cooling, it was 110+ outside, but the unit was cooling. It shut down by itself and would not restart. Thermostat display showed as normal. All circuit breakers were “on”.
Is there some kind of thermal protection inside the unit which can be reset?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6819565B-663E-4CF0-A5F9-F5E2CCE0C64D.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	373139  
Jcmckenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmckenney View Post
I have a 1995 HR Navigator with the a/c mounted underneath. The other day, I had it running with the a/c cooling, it was 110+ outside, but the unit was cooling. It shut down by itself and would not restart. Thermostat display showed as normal. All circuit breakers were “on”.
Is there some kind of thermal protection inside the unit which can be reset?
No. It's probably the start or run capacitors. Do a search here. There is a really in-depth thread on how to troubleshoot and repair them.

I have one in my coach. The only ones I have ever seen were Coleman. A few different models but all pretty much the same.

I'm not going to go into any of it because the thread that is 5 or more pages long covers everything you would ever want to know about basement air.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #3

Check on the circuit board in the basement unit to see if there is a resettable high pressure cutoff switch. Also, turn tstat to off and then back on to cool.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #4

Basement a/c

Thanks, I’ll check that out.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:08 PM   #5

Basement a/c

I took the cover off the wiring box and there’s no reset there. A wiring diagram inside the cover shows an overload protector at the capacitor for each compressor. These are behind the circuit board so I’m guessing they are auto reset breakers. Still a little bit hot here in AZ so I’ll probably investigate a little later.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #6

Dig deep under the cover. My reset switch was really hard to find. Does the blower kick on? My blower would run but one compressor would not. If the blower does not run I think it is time for the volt meter.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #7

Wild goose chase

Apparently what ever cause the a/c to shut down overloaded the generator as well. I found an Rv shop who let me plug the coach in and checkout the a/c It operated normally so the problem is in the generator or wiring. So now I’m off to find an Onan tech who has all of his extremities (don’t want to pay an arm & a leg for the repair). I’ll close this thread. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
Jim