Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #15

Yes, DW now knows for sure that I am anal.
Slopping out to the Shop, boots on, a handful
of cotton swabs in hand, and on a Mission!!

The 1060 Napa/Wix had but a light coat of what
appeared to be oil of some kind, nothing that a
magnet would pick-up.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #16

Good,but you didn't go far enough!What you found was exactly what I experienced,but from that greasy smear will emerge steel cuttings!Just try it you will be surprised,I think.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #17

As posted by exrench:
"..Just try it you will be surprised,I think..."
================================
I followed your method, only I did not
use a Kleenex..I used something I am much
more familiar with...toilet tissue..

And a really strong button magnet..no metal.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #18

Thanks,Eddie-That's one tested in this whole group.The strong button magnet on a wand is what I used as well.and lets hear it for the toilet paper!I suspect the lack of others getting involved has to do with availability of a filter to test._like yourself,I keep one or two in stock as I live out in the sticks and a special trip to town sure adds to the cost of a filter.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #19

I have avoided naming names to this point,mainly because some on this forum have expressed high regard for NAPA filters and offending them serves no purpose.My experience with NAPA filters only goes back five years or so.About three years ago my Saturn lost most of it's transmission oil because a two year old Napa trans.filter rusted out(we live in the rust belt)and when it was removed,the element inside was rattling around loose inside.My Saturn had no transmission filtration for how long?Took it back,asked for comment from the supplier-still waiting.Then,a year ago,Saturn needed a filter and of the two that I had on hand,when they were opened,the first had thick rust on the base plate and the second was found to have large metal flakes on the thread.These were both the more costly line of filter handled by NAPA. So... this is not just about Napa.Found similar contamination in a John Deere transmission filter,and an Onan filter that I had on hand.Checked 2 PF454 AC filters and one came up clean and the other had magnetic stuff on the threads. Found similar material on Fram,and Quaker State filters.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #20

I think you need to find a new NAPA supplier or order over the internet. I use NAPA Gold and Wix filters on a regular basis in my two cars (one a diesel), my motorhome, and my diesel garden tractor and have never incountered the problems you describe. BTW, I will not use a Fram or Quaker State filter. I am extremely fussy about the oil and oil filters used in my vehicles. Fussy to the point that I am using a imported oil in the one vehicle which cost over $10 a quart.

As to the transmission filter rusting out, if it was in transmission fluid, it would not rust out. But if it was in water, well. I live in the rust belt too, south of Buffalo, NY.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #21

It is good to hear of your good luck with oil filters.How long have you been testing them in the manner I outlined in my first post.(You will not see the particles without doing so)With luck,your engines will last a long time. Just six weeks ago,we read here of a poor guy in Death Valley with a prematurely blown engine and there was much speculation about the cause.How much particulate matter did he add to his engine lubrication system in the normal course of routine oil and filter changes.Who knows?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod