Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #16

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #17

Hello and welcome to the forums.
Sure, it might be the starter. Might not be also. I would find the ignition relay and carry a spare or swap it with a like relay upon next failure. I prefer to start with the least costly items and work up. The suggestion to clean up wires and connections is a good one too.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #18

Had the same issue...new relay fixed the problem, same starter @ 768,000 miles (it gets used every morning and thats it, once a day...)
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Tour View Post
Hello everyone, I'm a new member. I have camped in about every type camper made, I finally made it to my dream camper of a diesel pusher. Last year on a trip to the Keys we stopped to buy fuel on the turn pike I shut the unit off and filled up. When done I went to crank it back up and it would not turn over. Everything had power I checked every fuse, breaker, all cables, batteries were new and I tried to use the auxiliary start button nothing helped. everything else in the coach worked fine but when you turned the key nothing. I called roadside assistance and before I got off of the phone with them I tried the key one more time it started right up and no trouble the rest of the trip. Last month we left to go on a trip and about twenty minutes from our house we stopped at a grocery store, shut the coach off and were there about thirty minutes and when we stated to leave turned the key nothing. Again called roadside assistance and as he pulled up I tried the key it cranked and ran perfect the rest of the trip. The unit is a 2010 Winnebago tour with a 400 horse power Cummins in it. Service tech says if it not broken they cannot find what to fix says he would start with the starter, any Ideas?

Before you spend a grand on a new starter, try this,,,

Start out by tracing the small wires at the starter solenoid back to their source. Somewhere in the engine compartment you will find a small solenoid that is controlled by the ignition switch. Nine times out of ten this solenoid is the culprit. When you have this problem again, give this solenoid a tap with the handle of a screwdriver to jar it loose. If it works, the solenoid is your problem. Head over to you local Auto Parts store and get a new one. A whole lot cheaper than a new starter.
Good Luck.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Cummins engine problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Tour View Post
Hello everyone, I'm a new member. I have camped in about every type camper made, I finally made it to my dream camper of a diesel pusher. Last year on a trip to the Keys we stopped to buy fuel on the turn pike I shut the unit off and filled up. When done I went to crank it back up and it would not turn over. Everything had power I checked every fuse, breaker, all cables, batteries were new and I tried to use the auxiliary start button nothing helped. everything else in the coach worked fine but when you turned the key nothing. I called roadside assistance and before I got off of the phone with them I tried the key one more time it started right up and no trouble the rest of the trip. Last month we left to go on a trip and about twenty minutes from our house we stopped at a grocery store, shut the coach off and were there about thirty minutes and when we stated to leave turned the key nothing. Again called roadside assistance and as he pulled up I tried the key it cranked and ran perfect the rest of the trip. The unit is a 2010 Winnebago tour with a 400 horse power Cummins in it. Service tech says if it not broken they cannot find what to fix says he would start with the starter, any Ideas?

We had the same intermittent problem with our 2005 Cummins 400 ISL on our return from Alaska in 2014. Delco Remy makes a newer starter (not sure when they introduced it, you may already have it, some time after 2005) it triggers on much less voltage (80' from the battery to the ignition switch and then back to the starter is a large voltage drop). I had already replaced the remote solenoid, we were in Butte, Montana and had to go to Missoula to get one. Got it swapped and we're back on the road in about 6 hours. Below is a picture of the NEW part packaging. Key here is Delco makes a NEWER model for the ISL. Once you prove the problem is NOT the solenoid, be sure you get the new starter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453062544.635695.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	116711
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine