Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #1

Does Size Matter?

New members with a few questions!
We are looking for a Class A diesel pusher 37-40'. Liking Tiffin Allegro, Holiday Rambler Endeavor, Monaco Diplomat and Safari Continental 1997-2000.
Must be 300-330hp.
1. Any thoughts on above models from those years?
2. We are not inclined to stay in parking-lot with-table parks, but love a good campground with hookup, space, trees, firepit, etc. Any suggestions in North or Central California? Must allow dogs!
and lastly...does owning a 40 foot rig (vs. 37' or 38') significantly limit the sites we can camp in?

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to being active members!

Tom and Lisa
CALICAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALICAMPERS View Post
New members with a few questions!
We are looking for a Class A diesel pusher 37-40'. Liking Tiffin Allegro, Holiday Rambler Endeavor, Monaco Diplomat and Safari Continental 1997-2000.
Must be 300-330hp.
1. Any thoughts on above models from those years?
2. We are not inclined to stay in parking-lot with-table parks, but love a good campground with hookup, space, trees, firepit, etc. Any suggestions in North or Central California? Must allow dogs!
and lastly...does owning a 40 foot rig (vs. 37' or 38') significantly limit the sites we can camp in?

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to being active members!

Tom and Lisa
DOES SIZE MATTER?!!!! OH HECK YES! We have 37' Outlaw which includes our 10' Garage that the puppies love and a California King in the loft for me and the Mrs.
2013 Outlaw Garage Motorhomes: Class A Toy Hauler RV by Thor Motor Coach

Not to dis' a DP (cuz' while shopping for a MH, I really wanted a Diesel) but there's no way to have a real Toy Hauler/DP
So, I can't comment out your list of picks.

We found a very nice park, just off the I-5 North of Redding (dogs, yes): Mt Gate RV Park - Mt Gate RV Park

Length may limit you if you frequent some State and County parks, or some wilderness areas - easy to recognize since these usually have more tent sites and less w/ hook-ups. Since you're asking, I would wager it's no issue. If you want to commune with the ganola crowd, you may want to think about models like this
Winnebago Motor Homes - 2012 Via

Have fun looking - Take your time - Never buy the same day you find your dream coach (let the salesman sweat) - Best of luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We are now the owners of a 2001 Monaco Diplomat , have put about 2,500 miles on it, seem like a good motorhome, love the power, stay with the 36 ft to 40 ft and the 8.3 330 HP and up motors, If you are buying used get a tech to check it over, like a home inspection. good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You are not going to fing many places that a 37' can get into but a 40' can't.
Our size has never meant we couldn't stay where we wanted to stay.
All good choices.
In that year range, watch for slides. You do want at least one slide.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the site.

Van.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

3 ft won't make a difference. However, there are campgrounds (mostly older state/fed parks) where larger units will have difficulty getting into. Now add the length of a towed car. But still, get the length and features you want.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome! We love our DP 38' MH. Its a 1999 and love the quality of the one we have. We looked at tons just like I am sure you are. Its a very personal decision and I know you will find something great! Good luck and again welcome!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote