Hey I'm Tim and I'm getting moved down to Clovis New Mexico for 5 years. Its a pretty crummy assignment but I figured I could make the best of it by traveling/living in an RV. Zero experience.
I found a 1990 Safari Serengeti Diesel Pusher in what seems like great shape for $9500. I've worked construction jobs and done minor repairs on my car, but I'm by no means mechanically inclined. Here's a link.
I checked out the rig and it looks good, but I'm also a novice. The paint is great, the frame has very little rust, the engine and propane generator fired up immediately. No soft spots, mold, or smells of any kind (and no cleaning products coving a smell.
Still on the fence whether I should buy or if I should upgrade. I'm hoping for good reliability and I realize RVs are like boats: something is always broken no matter how well you take care of it. I have about 100k saved up but this seems like the best opportunity to possibly make a profit (or just break even) after living in it for 5 years and renovating.
I plan on redoing the interior. Here's the broad strokes of what I plan:
- Remove carpeted walls and floors, replace with wood and drywall. Tear out
ceiling carpet and vinyl over it.
- Remove all cabinets, sand and paint, reinstall.
- Replace kitchen countertop, sink, and possibly appliances.
- Replace ice maker with a dishwasher
- Replace 90's pink vinyl in shower. Replace sink and mirror.
- Replace driver and passenger seats with my two eames lounge chairs
Sorry to talk y'alls ears off. Let me know what you think.