Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassShack View Post
Hi Macnut,

After owning your rig for 6 months now, how do you like it? Any major issues? What if anything would you change if you could?

The reason why I ask is that I am considering buying one or the Winnie Vista Rally 26HE ( same rigs) I currently own a 25' 2011 Monaco Montclair which is a beautiful rig but I'm having serious issues with the lack of counter space in the kitchen (none) and the corner bed as well as the lack of basement storage. All of these concerns are addressed and very acceptable in either the Sunstar or the Vista.

I hope you will see this post and take the time to respond.
Many thanks,

Rob
Hi Rob, thanks for asking!
We bought our motorhome primarily for camping on the beaches. We live in Northern Ca and we have an incredible number of great state beaches to choose from within an hour or two of our house. Because of that, we wanted a smaller rig so we could get into any beach. We also wanted to be self-contained as most state beaches do not have hookups. We have about 4500 miles on her so far, and have visited beaches up the California and Oregon coasts. So far, the Sunstar Sport has worked out perfectly for us.

We love the layout, large storage, and queen bed. So far, it has been very dependable for us and I haven't been back for any repairs. There were two minor recall notices. One to ensure the battery is charged while driving and one to improve the window channels by the front seats. We had both done, but hasn't had an issue with either.

What we have enjoyed is the automatic hydraulic levelers, the large electric awning, large gas tank and water tank, a very comfortable bed (after adding a memory foam mattress topper), linoleum floors, the proven and dependable F53 chassis, easy driving up and down steep grades using the ow/haul feature,, and Winnebago quality and customer service.

We have made few changes, but here's the list:
1) It comes standard with MCD solo shades, but we upgraded to duo shades. We did this through MCD for half the cost. They simply sent us the solar shade only on a duo connector. I then added the night shade to the connector and we got duo shades for the price of solo...I think I paid $440 total to upgrade the three shades. It is really nice to have the solar shade when it is sunny and hot outside.
2) We added a memory foam mattress topper to the standard mattress, and sleep better than we do on our expensive mattress at home....though maybe part of it is being at the beach!
3) Added a puck light to the storage area to better see at night.
4) Added an HDMI cable to the HD tv....for some reason, Winnebago only added a composite (RCA) cable...this is the digital age! It was easy to route the cable from the TV to the storage compartment, but was a little tricky making the connection to the back of the TV with my large hands. Now we can connect our iPad and iPhone to the TV in 1080p quality!...though, actually, we rarely use it at all. :-)
That's it! We have been very happy to use as is, otherwise. I am very happy with the choices Winnebago made for this coach, as there are no options you can add from the factory.

Here a few things we wish we're different, and may upgrade over time, though we may just live with them, too:
1) It would be great to have LED lights since we dry camp so much.
2) Also because we dry camp, it would be great to have more powerful house batteries. The standard ones are OK, though, and I'll keep them a few years.
3) My wife thinks the water pump is too loud, and would prefer one that's quiet.
4) She also complains that it is hard to bake in the oven without burning the bottom, though she is still experimenting. We likes the stove, however.
5) I wish the ride was softer and quieter. I have nothing to compare this too, but my Honda Pilot...maybe all RVs are this way...
6) I get about 8 mpg....would love better mileage, but not possible in the terrain we drive the RV in.

I hope this info is helpful. Best wishes in finding the RV that's just right for you! And let me know if you have any other questions.
Al
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Al. Your input is greatly appreciated. I sent you a private message.
GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote