Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

Cool Greetings from Charleston SC

Hello all, Mark here, we're beginning our search for a class A to buy after (or sooner) retirement in a year or so.. After attending the RV show last week in Tampa we believe we have it narrowed down to a Thor Hurricane 29M or Windsport, virtually the same machine.. Just me and my wife plus 3 cats.

Any thoughts or advice welcome..
mrfixitct is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2. Lots of helpful folks and information here.

Lot's to consider when buying your first motorhome. Go into it eyes wide open. When we decided to get a class A coach (after being away from the RV lifestyle for 10 years, owning travel trailers before), we found a gently used older coach. Our thinking was we would not tie up a lot of money into something we may decide wasn't something we would enjoy. We did enjoy it and traded it for a newer, bigger, nicer used coach within the first year.

We are on our third coach now and still enjoy traveling. If you are sure you will like the RV lifestyle and want new, then do that. Do ask yourself some questions:

1. how will you use it.....travel a lot and stay for short periods in a lot of places or travel less and stay longer in one spot.
2. what will you want to carry with you and will you tow a car?
3. gas or diesel, based on your answers to #1 and #2 above.

Good luck in your search for the perfect RV.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixitct View Post
Hello all, Mark here, we're beginning our search for a class A to buy after (or sooner) retirement in a year or so.. After attending the RV show last week in Tampa we believe we have it narrowed down to a Thor Hurricane 29M or Windsport, virtually the same machine.. Just me and my wife plus 3 cats.

Any thoughts or advice welcome..

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the forums. If you haven't yet, you and your wife should give some serious thought concerning how you envision using a coach.
1. How long will you live in the coach at a stretch?
2. Will you travel in cold weather or mostly warm?
3. What types of campgrounds/resorts will you mostly use?
4. How do you feel about laundry mats.
5. Will you have a need to take others with you occasionally?
6. Will you tow a car for local trips?

These are a few brain teasers that should get you thinking about how each vehicle you consider will accomplish the job. You will come up with other questions suitable to you.

You live in a beautiful area. My wife and I have lived in our coach full time for 10 years now. Our first year out, we bought a lot in Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort and it remains our favorite place.

Good luck in your search.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Will wait for the OPs answers.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mark! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #6

we rented a class C out of Las Vegas last year, went touring for 2 weeks and fell in love with that type of sightseeing, we have another rental trip coming up later this year to the balloon festival in Albuquerque then off to sightsee some more..

Last week we attended the RV show in Tampa where found that the 26 footer, class A we previously thought would serve us well was too small and weak. Our plan, within the next few years as I hope to retire soon, is likely to get either a Thor Hurricane or Windsport, 29footers both nearly identical.. We do plan to tow a small SUV and travel will likely be a few days in one place then move onto the next destination.. Diesel options at the 29-30 foot size are slim to none and while I'm reasonable well versed with all things mechanical I know nothing about diesels so gas powered is how we'll go. I'm actually looking forward to the mechanical maintenance of our new RV to be ..
Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #7

maybe just a bad idea

some much research leads down one path, shoddy construction, sucky dealers, inept techs.. we're rethinking the wisdom of even attempting this path..
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
we rented a class C out of Las Vegas last year, went touring for 2 weeks and fell in love with that type of sightseeing, we have another rental trip coming up later this year to the balloon festival in Albuquerque then off to sightsee some more..

Last week we attended the RV show in Tampa where found that the 26 footer, class A we previously thought would serve us well was too small and weak. Our plan, within the next few years as I hope to retire soon, is likely to get either a Thor Hurricane or Windsport, 29footers both nearly identical.. We do plan to tow a small SUV and travel will likely be a few days in one place then move onto the next destination.. Diesel options at the 29-30 foot size are slim to none and while I'm reasonable well versed with all things mechanical I know nothing about diesels so gas powered is how we'll go. I'm actually looking forward to the mechanical maintenance of our new RV to be ..

Our best friends have a Winnebago Vista 27' that they like very much. It appears to be reasonably well built and equipped. They recently added a second A/C unit as the OEM single unit struggled in 95 degree weather. Some longer floorplans utilize 2 units.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
some much research leads down one path, shoddy construction, sucky dealers, inept techs.. we're rethinking the wisdom of even attempting this path..
It is no question that the RV industry in general has a problem with quality control. There are many reasons, some folks make excuses for it, etc. However, IMO there is a way to improve the odds that you can get a well-made, sturdy coach and that is to carefully shop for gently used, well maintained high end coaches. Many folks have done that and have ended up with really nice rigs. Some of the manufacturers of higher end coaches went out of business in the mid 2000's.....Monaco, Country Coach, Travel Surpreme for example. They made some very nice, fully featured rigs with good bones. We got our one owner coach when it was 6 years old and paid far less than half of what many new class A coaches of lesser quality sell for now. We spent a few bucks upgrading some of the furniture and fixtures and we now have a really nice, good running, excellent handling coach with many nice features.

There are plenty of examples like mine so don't give up until you consider that option.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #10

Glad to have you here in the forum
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote