Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

Greetings from Westerville Oh - GO BUCKEYES!

Hello there and greetings from Westerville Oh (a suburb of Columbus). I'm a newbie here if you couldn't already tell. I'm not an owner yet but in the initial "Doing my homework" stage of RV ownership. Any tips on buying older/used rigs is always welcomed.

A little about my world. My name is Jim and I'm 50. I live with my fiance' Robin who is 48. I'm a programmer by profession for a local insurance company. Robin is a nurse and just started a new job at THE Ohio State University/Wexner Medical Center, James Cancer Hospital.

We're on the verge of becomming empty nesters (last kid is finishing college soon) and we're looking at hitting the road, atleast weekends for starters.

We each have our own motorcycles. I drive a 2006 Kawasaki Concours 1000, and she drives a 2002 Yamaha VSTAR 650. Now we're looking to expand our adventures in places other than Ohio. Last year we took them to Lake George NY. That was a blast but the ride up sucked. 14 hours in my Jeep towing our bikes in a rented trailer jsut doesn't cut it anymore. We want our own rig so I'm not paying cabin rent to someone else.

I've done a bit of camping in my youth but haven't for quite some time so I'm no stranger to travel and the great outdoors. I'm going to be in the market for a used rig but probably not until later this year. I have lots of learning to do before I plunk down my money.

I'm considering Class A, gas, somewhere in the 30' range. Not particular on brand but rather ammenities and functionality. Larger Class C are not out of the question though.

So, I'm looking forward to talking with you and asking lots and lots of questions while in my search. I've belonged to a few motorcycle forums similar to this RV forum. I know there is a wealth of info from the people here. That's why I'm here now.

Thanks for your time and watching for my questions in the future. Also looking forward to meeting any other central Ohio Rv'rs there may be here.

Jim Carlson
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of knowledge here to help with your shopping experience. Floorplan of the RV is important and be sure to find one that works best for you. There are a lot of motorhomes for sale out there so take your time. Good Luck in your search and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hello, fellow Buckeye! Have to pass the test: O....H....

Since you're just starting out, did you get to the RV & Boat Show at the fairgrounds either of the past 2 weekends? The closest dealer that'd have any quantity of motorhomes to see is RCD in Hebron. They're opening a new location in the former Jerry Greer site (36/37 west of I-71) -fairly soon I'd think.

Our regional campouts are listed in the North Central & Pond Piggie forums. We RV a lot in the NE OH & W PA areas. Look for posts in those forums & you're welcome to join us.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Jim & welcome!
Fellow Ohio fan residing between Columbus and Lancaster but currently in Fl for the winter.
Take your time, shop wisely and be ready to replace your first MH within 1 year. Start larger than you want and just maybe it will last longer than a year. Ask how I know!
Oh yea, enjoy and have fun with the search
Ron K
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to the forum.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim! Welcome to IRV2! We're really happy that you guys joined the bunch here!

You've definitely come to the right place for all the information you will ever need about RV'ing! Lots of folks here eager to share their knowledge and experience with you, and great Moderators who are always fair and respectful. Just poke around and jump in when you find something that interests you. Hope you find just the right rig for your needs.

BTW, we've got buckeyes down here too, but they all grow on trees!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome! We are in West Virginia, but mostly camp in Ohio & I work in Ohio. We are partial to Wayne National Forest & the AEP ReCreation lands for our favorite places to get away.