Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

It sounds like somebody has put a carburetor on a fuel injected engine.
O'Reilly Auto Parts sells Edelbrock and/or mr. Gasket fuel pumps they're reasonably priced and Fairly reliable. They come with the screw in inline filter that is very small, I would recommend putting larger better in line filter between the tank and the pump.
As far as vacuum lines most of those length and size of line and fitting will make it somewhat easy to figure out where they go.
IF you have an older style distributor in there with a vacuum advance it's crucial to be sure that it has full vacuum to it.
allenh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #16

Ford still used carburators in 85. It was 86 when fuel injection was standard.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh. View Post
It sounds like somebody has put a carburetor on a fuel injected engine.
O'Reilly Auto Parts sells Edelbrock and/or mr. Gasket fuel pumps they're reasonably priced and Fairly reliable. They come with the screw in inline filter that is very small, I would recommend putting larger better in line filter between the tank and the pump.
As far as vacuum lines most of those length and size of line and fitting will make it somewhat easy to figure out where they go.
IF you have an older style distributor in there with a vacuum advance it's crucial to be sure that it has full vacuum to it.
Thanks for the recommendation on the Mr gasket pump. Looks like what I need. It does already have a big ol' canister fuel filter, the type that unscrews and you just replace the element.
I've been told that at some point the engine was replaced in this RV with a rebuilt one. Totally could've been fuel injected before.

I got the tank out and theres definitely no in tank pump, which surprised me. Also, the tank and sending unit are really rusted over and dirty. I drained about six gallons of old gas from it.

So now I'm looking to do a muriatic acid bath.
The tank holds about 48 gallons. Anyone know the ratio of muriatic acid to water if I have enough time to let the tank soak for a few days?

Also. Not sure the etiquette on this forum. Should I start a new thread over in vintage RVs?
Thanks for all the advice and info so far!!!
Slackmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #18

Jusr be sure to get the low pressure pump and/or get the pressure regulator.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #19

If it is a metal tank, a radiator shop can boil it out for you.
I am not sure of the ratio to use on the D.I.Y.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenh. View Post
Jusr be sure to get the low pressure pump and/or get the pressure regulator.

Will do! The line I'm looking at is between four and seven psi.
Slackmason is offline   Reply With Quote