Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Hello From British Columbia

New to the Forum, thanks for allowing me to join. RVing is such a great adventure, my wife and I bought a 2012 Dutchman Kodiak and we just love getting out and enjoying nature. We are always looking for tips and tricks to make it better every-time we go out.

Our latest upgrade involved adding a permanent high pressure takeoff between on of the propane tanks and regulator. No more taking an extra propane bottle to run coleman camp stove.

Our next adventure is upgrading the antenna to snuggle on those rainy nights.

As noted above, I wanted a permanent High Pressure Take Off for my Coleman Camp Stove. The key here was I wanted to be able to leave the plastic Propane Tank Cover in place with everything attached. I have an auto switchover regulator made by Flame King, the others are no different.

Note: Two stage auto changeover regulators have a 1/4 MPT x Female 1/4 Inverted Flare fittings screwed into the regulator (Do not remove).

In my case I wanted to add hoses with guages so decided my best option was the pigtails with a std 1/4 pipe thread rather than the inverted flare thread. To utilize a std 1/4" NPT thread (which most fittings are), I had to convert from the inverted flare at the regulator was the first step.

To do so I bought the following brass fittings to complete the process, I threw away the tube nut on the male pipe connector and threaded the inverted flared end (7/16 x 24 thread) into the regulator fitting. From there, everything was STD 1/4" pipe fittings. I thought about removing the fitting out of the regulator and replacing it but was told their was a check valve in behind the fitting and removing the fitting would destroy the operation of the regulator (Do not Remove)

Off the new fitting I attached a 1/4 Brass street 90 degree elbow, to point toward the trailer and get away from the tank to allow enough room for the cylinder throwaway fitting. My supplier was Fairview Fitting, but I'm sure their are others

Cylinder Primus by Male Pipe c/w Check Valve P/N 2096 1 Req​

Male Pipe Connector 1/4 Tube Od X 1/4 Male Pipe P/N 68-4B 2 Req​

EXTRUDED 90° STREET ELBOW P/N X115-B 2 Req​

EXTRUDED TEE P/N X101-B 1 Req​

EXTRUDED 90° ELBOW P/N X100-B 1 Req​

12-inch 1/4" NPT RV Propane Hose with Gauge, Stainless Steel Braided RV Pigtail Hose Connector for Standard Two-Stage Regulator with 1/4" Male NPT (2-Pack)​ These braided hoses I bought off Amazon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High Pressure Takeoff.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	331753  
BcBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Let the adventure begin!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #4

Pretty neat mod. Thanks for sharing. Could one use that for a little propane genny as well?
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Nice to have you onboard with us.

Browse the forums and ask questions. Let us know what we can do to help you

Thank you for posting that mod.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum neighbour. You'll find some neat folks here willing to share experiences or ideas and thanks for sharing your mod.

Happy and Safe Travels. SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:36 AM   #7

Hey BcBorn from Maple Ridge, welcome to the pile.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #8

From the currently " Very Damp" Sunshine Coast .

Hopefully , we can all get on the road soon ( if the weather ever improves ) and begin enjoying our RVs.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Welcome from the dry Kamloops area. Hoping we can get some rain so the campfire bans won't go on!

Nice mod, but be aware that too much stress on those 1/4 NPT brass fittings can cause them to crack. If you can, put a support bracket on it to keep it from being stressed from fthe vibrations while driving.

We are heading to Osoyoos later today. Temps in the high 20's predicted. 32 by Friday.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #10

GONE FISHING AND KAYAKING = Finally YEAH!

Well tomorrow morning for 4 days. Hoping as it's first come first served we'll get something mid week before schools out.

Trying to avoid the madness of weekend crowds locally right now and come July/August we won't have a hope of getting in anywhere any time.

Someone mentioned in BC that all reserved sites were full, yet they went to the CG's 3 or 5 times and each time they got there mid week, they were less than a quarter full. Same in Alberta NP's we've been finding May/early June and it's so darn maddening. Think more should be on first come first served and less on reservation to avoid blocking others that really want them, but .......
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Well tomorrow morning for 4 days. Hoping as it's first come first served we'll get something mid week before schools out.

Trying to avoid the madness of weekend crowds locally right now and come July/August we won't have a hope of getting in anywhere any time.

Someone mentioned in BC that all reserved sites were full, yet they went to the CG's 3 or 5 times and each time they got there mid week, they were less than a quarter full. Same in Alberta NP's we've been finding May/early June and it's so darn maddening. Think more should be on first come first served and less on reservation to avoid blocking others that really want them, but .......
It ridiculous, this reservation system. By 10 Seconds after 7am everything is booked.

Have heard the same thing re half empty campgrounds yet the booking system says they are booked.
BcBorn is offline   Reply With Quote