Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #1

Smile Hello from Georgia!

Hello irv2! I have been a reader of the threads and forums for some time but an impending possible new unit purchase has me finally registering to seek advice/communicate with the forum community. Heard about the website from my dad, I guess he got tired of 20 phone calls a week for advice and then him calling me back after checking the website 🤪. My parents fill time in a 40 ft safari and 3 years ago my husband and I sold our home and live in a 38ft jayco eagle fifth wheel. We have our “stuff” his uniforms as he is still active duty AF. But we have actually traveled a lot for him having a job still. Of course not like the “professional” full-timers but we look at t as practice for the years when he gets to finally retire.

I worked after I separated from the military for awhile, but I kept having to work weekends and then we couldn’t go on trips so .... I’m a “kept woman.” 😂😂😂. My husband absolutely loves no yard work/house work chores etc. I have looked back once or twice and thought of looking at homes again but he always just takes me on a beach weekend and I forget all about that.

Excited to get to know everyone and have a good source for information. We will be needing advice on our new rv soon (what to get/who to get it from) so I will hopefully hear from some of you over there soon! Thank you!
Gypsybarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Welcome[emoji3] best wishes as you pursue your next purchase. Thank you both for your service. My husband and I purchased a 33’ Kodiak Ultimate TT last year. We have caught the RVing bug and are seriously considering becoming full timers. How was the transition of selling everything and your husband still being active duty? My husband has four years of active duty but is flexible enough to travel.
Blessings to you both.
Nonnie KRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Hey! Well, actually it was difficult to acclimate him with the idea. We had an 1800 sq ft house on jus over half an acre that we loved but was constant work. The two of us never did much activities outside of house mx and it had been getting old quickly. Then my parents visited one winter in their safari and kept jus...sipping off on weekends here and there and wherever . Needlesss to say we were a little jealous. We had a lot of concerns tho...too small space from 1800 sq ft down to a 26 ft tt. That’s what we started in. But once he finally pulled the trigger and we moved out we rented the house out until we were sure we were sold on full timing. Only regret we had was renting the house. Our tenants absolutely trashed the place to the tune of nearly 10$k. Still in courts for that money but I’m sure we’ll never see it.

So...long story short DONT RENT the house out just sell it haha. Might even be further ahead still just letting it sit vs having a tenant like ours was. As far as selling everything it was ehh okay. Once we came back down to earth about whether we wanted top dollar for our things or did we want them sold it went much better.

When we get to take leave or I get to travel with him for his TDY trips it’s the best time. When we spend a lot of time in Valdosta where he is stationed it can get lame. The rv parks there are pretty lackluster. There is one really nice pretty park but they have a LOT of rules.... which is fine. Their park their rules lol and that’s likely how it has stayed nice and pretty through the years it’s been open. So we have a park by the freeway we winter at during campfire season (we can be up late and sometimes a little noisy and the park is more “dead” than the others in town). And during summer we stay at the nicer park with the cement pads.

There’s only been a couple times I was anxious about being in an rv. We had a tornado in adel a couple years back in January and it came within a mile of our little freeway park, that was a nail biter. We gathered our irreplaceables and animals and slept at a friends house when hurricane Irma blew through. Husband is currently deployed so I had to go through Michael alone although I’m quite certain Florida took the brunt of that one.

We had a steep learning curve with figureing out what size rv and drivable vs towable what size truck to have etc. I even have a picture of us on the side of the freeway in Texas I think, putting diesel in the truck when we thought we would “make it” to the next truck stop ����. At least we were smart enough to put the 2, 5 gallon jugs in the truckbed for the trip. There was a lot of calls to mom and dad the veteran full-timers from us about “what do I do if.... and how about if ...happens.” My parents have had us around in the pop-ups and travel trailers and fifth wheels since I can remember. So it was a good source of info until I realized he was just going online to forums and google and then calling me back.

We have considered a traditional home inexpensive enough we could do both but with him having 8 more years before retirement he could be sent to another base anytime and unloading our last house was so much money . He says the next house we ever own we are dieing in! ����. We are actually looking at finding a driveable under 30ft maybe to 33 with a washer and dryer in it for our next and last rv . Not sure, just want to be mobile enough to pick up and go for a weekend being so close to the gulf coast ! I’ve even met a lot of military families in our travels that live full time with kids in the rv’s.

So far my favorite absolute go to spot is Jekyll island. Although we stay at coastal ga rv as the lots are paved and they don’t have those giant orb spiders that are all over the island.
Gypsybarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. We had actually thought about renting our house out but thank goodness that didn’t work out. Whew! I hope everything works out for you with the courts. It sounds like you have experienced a lot being full timers but I guess that’s par for the course. But the positives can outweigh the negatives? Home is where the heart is.
Stay safe. God bless[emoji4]
Nonnie KRC is offline   Reply With Quote