Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #1

Smile hello from Mesa, Arizona

Hi all;

A newbie to the forum here, but have been voraciously reading all of the threads of interest to me currently.

We’ve been campers since we married, starting out with a 1965 yellowstone 27’ TT. That one has a lot of memories to it, as it was our very first home as newly weds.

We lived in that TT for 2 years and were happy as clams could be. It stayed in the family until 1990 when I sold it to a guy who needed it worse than we did.

It was replaced a few years later with a ’78 Avion 34’ TT which is an Airstream Look-a-like. Has mahogany interior and newly done hardwood floors. Looks good as new, just needs the usually annual PMs to keep it in fine fettle. Put six new tires on it, had the wheel bearings serviced, and the tires fully balanced. New battery, full of propane.

While that TT has been a good friend, it is now extraneous to our needs and will be passed on to our son and his family. DW lost her right leg 2 years ago to diabetes and needs a wheelchair much of the time. A small isle TT just won’t fill the bill anymore. Bathroom is a no man’s land for the wheelchair community folks.

So, here I am, a retired pipeliner’s Electronics’s Technician looking for the Retired Man’s mecca and a DW’s approval on something she can enjoy.

I have found a few choices that have a bathroom she can use, and with a few minor upgrades in cabinetry and removal of walls and doors, will make us a good Class A to get around in.

So, in another thread, I want to learn why a particular brand is a better choice over another one. I have found on every brand there is, someone who says “if brand XYZ were the only brand of MH made, I would not have it…..”

That kind of statement is totally useless and wasted bandwidth. Reasoned logic is what I am looking for. A singular statement is totally worthless without the knowledge of what is behind it.

We are all alike, in that most of us have 2 legs, 2 hands, and 2 eyes. But where reasoning comes into play, we are all shaped by our past experiences. To learn from your experience, I need to understand why you came to a certain conclusion.

Maybe I have too much hopes for a forum to be able to provide me with this info, but I highly doubt it. I think that just filtering out the garbage comments and thinking on the rest will do real fine.

I am a moderator on another forum, and am used to statements from all aspects of the forum communities.

So, with that said, I’m 68, retired, fixed income now, and don’t won’t to waste my savings.

Will be looking for something in the 34’ to 42ish sizes. I am impressed with the FRED designs for fuel economy, but equally impressed by the living space available in the Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP class of MH.

I can’t justify a new purchase. I can justify 5 to 10 years old, and a restoration to new standards. The underlying quality is what I am looking for, something worth me taking it on as a project to live with for the next 10 years.

John
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, welcome to the forum John.

I certainly hope you're able to find what you're looking for here at iRV2. We have a lot of experts on many different topics who I'm sure will be willing to offer opinions and lend their expertise.

In addition to being a great source of technical knowledge, I have found the forum to have a sense of community as well so you will have to bear with us if you come across some social banter mixed in with technical advice.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Social Banter mixed in with Technical Advise just makes it more homey feeling.

I have found on my forum that w/o the banter, it gets real dry, and then the leaves blow away, and what's left isn't worth staying around for.

A good community interaction is a good thing, and that is how I will be able to perceive what is behind a comment. those 'social banters' have a lot of clues in them that will offer up a good feeling for a member's background.

Thanks for the welcome,

oh, maybe I should warn you, my fingers often out run my brain's clutch. Someone once told me, that I get wordy. nah, never happen
Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome John,
Sounds like you have in mind the floor plan you need for you and the wife. I recommend that you check out the classifieds here on IRV2 and for more Tiffin specific coaches take a peek at TRVN classifieds at TiffinRVNetwork Classified Ads - Home Page. Somewhere along the line you're going to find that special coach that will be just what you want and need.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi John and Welcome to the Forums.

I'm guessing you are the SAME "AZgl1500" that is on Steve Saunders GoldWing Forums. I'm there (but not much lately) as NeedleNick.

Good luck with your search for an appropriate RV. Sometimes you just gotta be inventive.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Hi John and Welcome to the Forums.

I'm guessing you are the SAME "AZgl1500" that is on Steve Saunders GoldWing Forums. I'm there (but not much lately) as NeedleNick.

Good luck with your search for an appropriate RV. Sometimes you just gotta be inventive.

Darn,

Blew my cover , I knew I should have chose a different name over here.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome John,

I'm also new to this forum and from just a short drive down I-10...Tucson.

I belong to another forum and every now then I'll come across someone that's on that same forum, asking the same question...Or just like me, surfing the threads.

Good luck in your quest and to your wife.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Our global community is a lot smaller than a lot of folks realize. Lots of folks who just browse the forums but never log in. Then they see you elsewhere and wonder if you are the same guy over at xyz.

I have a lot of friends around the globe. Makes for a healthier retirement outlook IMO.