Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Hello from MN

Hello folks,

Bob and Laurie here in MN, and not looking forward to another winter. I'm a police officer and Laurie is in medical records and we'll be retiring and fulltiming in 3 years.
I know 3 years is a ways out but the way time flies we're starting our "3 year plan" now.
I was told about this forum when I introduced ourselves in the Escapees forum. We are set on a class C but undecided which one yet. We will be attending the RV shows in Minneapolis/St Paul and Sioux Falls SD in the spring. I told the DW that we can pick out our dream 2011 MH and then buy it used 3 years from now.
Thanks in advance for all of the great info and I look forward to getting to know each of you as our plan comes together!

Bob, Laurie, & Lucy the Basset Hound
BobinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! We spent Aug and Sept in sw Minnesota and then made a bee line to Arizona!

I really like your plan to attend show and pick out your dream 2011 rig and then buying it used in 3 years. Excellent strategy.

Keep doing your research on all fronts because there's a lot to learn but this is a great place to learn it. We're members of Escapees as well and there's no better source of full timing information.

One input I would have for you is to keep an open mind with regard to Class A coaches. Although many people full time in a Class C I think you'll find a great many more who have found Class A to be a better fit.

Best of Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Bob, Laurie &....LUCY!

Hey, glad ya found iRV2 and WELCOME to the gang !! Just poke around awhile and it won't be long before you're making the connections for info ya want.

OH!...just thought I'd mention that I come from a long line of law enforcement guys....dad was Carlton County Sheriff (up near Duluth) for about 20 years and I grew up in the Sheriff's residence attached to the jail back in the 50's and 60's. Cousin, Rick Wahtera, is on the force in the cities (Richfield I think), and another cousin, is with the State Patrol up in the Moose Lake area North of Hinckley.

I forget whether or not you were planning to go full time when ya retire, but, like RickO mentioned in his post (above), ya might want to consider a Class A,.... and, whichever rig ya decide on, DO, for sure, plan on towing a little car or pick-up. Having a "toad" (slang for tow vehicle) opens a whole new aspect to RV'ing cause ya can set up your rig in a campground, and your toad greatly frees ya up and permits extended travel for touring the area and local attractions, running to the market, and other little trips. Ya probably already know this, but you'll run into all kinds of opinions as to whether to tow a vehicle "4 down" (no trailer or dolly) or whether to use a dolly or trailer, but whichever, having a run around vehicle along makes a WORLD of difference.

O.K., ....I'll quit bothering ya, but, don't hesitate asking questions. Hope to meet ya down the road.

Steve & Lynette (and our 3 cats!!)
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #4

Hey Steve

No bother at all. I'm like a sponge right now and reading all of the info I can about RV's and fulltiming. Law enforcement has been a great career for me but I'm really looking forward to retiring and moving on to the next phase of life. I'll only be 52 when I "pull the pin" so we can still enjoy life and travel.
Thanks and have a great week.

Bob
BobinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #5

Welcome to the site Bob. Three years will go by pretty fast, even if it doesn't seem so in the winter. As said above a toad is a good idea. We tried a car dolly (front wheels up on it when towing) for a couple years and sold it because we didn't like it for several reasons, at some campgrounds you have to store it in the "back lot", seems like it was more effort to hook it all up, and worst of all it was difficult to keep the tie-down straps tight. We pull four wheel down now and like it much better. Others have opposite opinions so there you go.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
First of Welcome. We retired 3 years ago, although not full timing we almost might as well be. We left Iowa the end of Oct and are in TX now. We chose a 34 ft because it is large enough to allow visiting with friends and easily parked. The class a has very little wasted space when parked as the captains chairs turn for additional seating. We pull and enclosed trailer which contains a Smart Car and Goldwing with a TriCar conversion, so we have transportation no matter the weather. We chose gas over a dp because of maintance and have not regretted the choice.

Good luck half the fun is getting to the end result. Many good units and different floor plans, and many changes come each year so do not lock your self in this year and not look for the next couple then wish you had this or that. Also it is a little hard to get the live in feel without doing it, so don't be surprised if after a time you think you need a different setup. Don't ask how we know this.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote