Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Smile Hello from Texas

Single woman, semi-retired, in the process of researching RVs and downsizing, looking to set flight next spring, definitely want to be mobile six months of the year possibly more .. anything to get out of Texas during the summer!

Would like to hear from others about the RV life, whether full or part-time.

Thanks for reading ...
TexasWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Hello. Where in Tx? Carlos just outside of BCS area here.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

welcome!!!!!!!// TEXAS !!!!!!!!
Maddog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you plan to go to get out of Texas heat?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What? Texas heat... we ain't go no heat in the Hill Country! Just kidding and welcome... i have spent the last year or so making sure my fifth wheel is COOOOOL in the summer triple digits. So many things can be done to keep a trailer cool. I have done them all. If you decide you want to spend some time in triple digits, get a trailer with 2 a/c units OR make sure it is wired for a second. A/C units are not that expensive.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

It's cool here in Tennessee on the Cumberland plateau, although it was warmer today. 82 for the high.
mmblues51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #8

Go for it! This year I escaped a good portion of the Florida summer in Northern Michigan. It was a welcome relief.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #9

I have been full-time in the RV for 21 months now. Getting past the initial downsizing was a hurdle, but now that it's over, the lightened load is much easier to carry.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I live just NE of Austin and avoiding extreme temperatures is what I am trying to do. I am in Custer SD right now and the low tonight is going to be 42. This morning at my house outside Austin it was 79 at 7am. Next Jan, Feb, and Mar I will be in Yuma AZ. I recommend it.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. You are joining a good group of folks here.
Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #12

Welcome from another Texan.
Are you looking for a towable or drivable unit?

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #13

I'm thinking towable as of now. Any suggestions? Thanks ...
TexasWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:26 AM   #14

Suggestion something is like us choosing your favorite color. You have alot to choose from. I would say step one would be what tow vehicle would you use. That will determine what size and weight range you can shop in, then your budget for whatever you like in that range. There's tons of options. I started small with a little popup, and worked my way up to a giant 4x4 dually and a giant 5th wheel with just about everything you can drag into the woods. Now I've downsized to a little bitty TT for two and those two have to really like each other. Still have the same TV and I get look driving in with the smallest rv in the park. But, I can be completely setup and relaxed in minutes. A salesman will try to tell you your two door Geo can pull anything. Don't buy it. Also ignore the words "dry weight" That's the estimated weight BEFORE any options, like tires, awning, door, windows,bed, table. Start with the GCVWR on the sticker of your vehicle and work backwards. It will take some time to understand that. It's the maximum weight of your tow vehicle, what your towing and everything in it. Kinda like what your brakes and engine and frame can handle thing. A very import number.

Then start shopping in that range. Look at a lot of them, make notes of what you like and don't like. Don't buy on the first lot you go to. Also the more you can learn before you commit, the better off you'll be. When you hear the truck commercials talk about towing and the announcer says in a low voice "with optional equipment" find out what optional equipment that is. It'll be something like a certain rated hitch, a weight distribution hitch. That's a hitch that will transfer weight off the rear wheels onto the front wheels to keep from over loading the rear axle. Hey, you just learned something. You''' need good brakes, and that will require an electric brake controller. The cheaper they are, the crappier they are. So don't skimp on that, as you kinda wanna stop when you get to the cliff and things like that.

Also, where do you intend to go? In the middle of the desert by yourself? You'll want a good water supply and some kind of electric supply, or just campsites, where you'l always have available facilities? That will determine how your rig should be equipped.

There's alot to it but don't get overwhelmed and don't jump into anything too quick. Ask alot of question, especially what you think are the stupid ones. We've all done stupid things so you might as well ask and learn from our mistakes.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas