Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #1

hello..I said HELLO srry to shout im in England

Ok firstly what a great site, just what I need..friendly people willing to take the time to help others. I fall into that cat but at present I know I will need help. I have just purchased a Gulfstream BT Cruiser 5291. 4 yrs old 2600 miles on the clock, nothing ever been used on the vehicle and I just flushed out the water tank as it had anti-freeze in it from the manufacturer. (The fact there is water on the ground under the vehicle disturbs me slightly but "hey ho" (english saying for nothing s going to spoil my good mood))
So yes I have completed my first task.
The battery wont hold charge even after a 100 mile journey.
The whisper quite (yeah right) genny I started and ran successfully but now on second start only seems to run with my finger on the button (with over half a tank of petrol..sorry gasoline)
I have dozens of little bits to do.
But ive been dreaming of this day for 4 years (being a compulsive buyer I decided to really wait and see if my dream held up)

My plan...to be a gypsy..no home just the rig..and tour europe.
Ill let you know how I do if its of interest but first I need to go to the bank for a loan to fill up the gas tank as gasoline here is approx 12 dollars a gallon according to my windows sidebar doll to gbp converter.

Wish me luck....no really i mean it...wish me luck...cos Im going to need a bucket full.
best wishes to anyone who reads this
Harry
harryoxford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Harry ,

First off I think it is the best RV site on the net !! I had the same problem with my genny the other day, but I was lucky that after serveral times of starting, it kicked in and kept on running! I ran it for a few hours cut it off came back and started it 3 hours later and it started right up & ran like a champ! RV's sitting ideal is the worse thing! So get out and use it! Have fun and post often!!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

ahh I think I found why the water leaks, the black tank drain valve is open and its the water I used to rinse it...good job its an unused rig. Ok ok I can hear you all laughing...
regards
Harry
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #4

Harry, Welcome to the forum. You might want to consider sanitizing the fresh water tank since it sat for a while. Good luck. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoxford2 View Post
ahh I think I found why the water leaks, the black tank drain valve is open and its the water I used to rinse it...good job its an unused rig. Ok ok I can hear you all laughing...
regards
Harry
Welcome to the forum Harry! I love your plan. We're doing the same thing here in the states and we're having a ball.

I have to confess that you're right about the open black tank valve making me laugh though... ... but there could be no better time to make that mistake than on a new rig with rinse water. We all have our stories about our mistake with the black tank but most of us only make those mistakes once so hopefully this will count for yours.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

Hi AL ty for the reply.
I pressed quick on your reply so hopefully this gets to you. (Just getting used to the buttons on the site)
Although the leisure battery is unused for 4 yrs I think its got lonley and refuses to work, it appears its the second most important part of the vehicleas it seems to control everything. The first most important thing being the beer in the fridge.

I started off camping in the early 60s too, then individually walking and youth hosteling (a bit like the ymca but for backpackers or campers that want a decent bed for the night) Then trailer tent, caravan, then built a motorhome into a toyota hi ace van.
Then for some reason yrs and yrs of 5 star hotels. (what was I thinking of..sauna jaccuzzi finest food on the planet, luxury accomodation) who needs it...hmmmmm

I just get the feeling that if it all goes wrong, I will still have enjoyed the experience and adventure. Best of all I am hopeing to meet similar minded folk out there to share a beer and story. (Their beers my stories
regards
Harry
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

John H and RickO
Ty so much for the replies. Wow 5 minutes on the site and already 3 like minded people saying hi back.
I so hope I can find my way back to these pages when Im next online.
Ok all you guru type people, I bow to superior knowledge and experience and I am all ears. Already you have helped.
My short term plan is to live in the rv on my front lawn for a week. If I need something I go get it from the house. When I stop getting things then what I have on board is all I need. Anything else I load is just burning up fuel.
Sourcing the tools to stay online throughout europe was easier than expected. So if any of you plan to do the same let me throw this back. BT Openzone and BT Fone are two open unsecure networks throughout europe and all you need is a dongle (thingy you stick in the side of laptop) the dongle is effectively a mobile phone as it contains a sim card and communicates at 2g 3g and 4g levels 3g being as fast as your home telephone broadband. Anyone over here who currently uses BT (British Telecom) unlimited home broadband also agrees that part of the transmission from their home router broadcasts and receives BT Openzone and BT Fone. These sites are map marked at the BT home site. Effectivley their are hundreds of thousands of home user locations using and allowing these hotspots. Even better you can buy the dongles on pre pay or pay as you go with built in useage guages. So if you are ever in europe ever in europe touring and your boss thinks you are working from home you can answer your emails, skype, facebook or whatever you do for very little outlay. Vertually every large holiday hotel foyer now has free wifi broadband and in the past I have sat in the foyer ordered a coffee and got on with my communications. (Ps.. if you really should be working from home and the boss asks if he can ring you at home, remember to tell him its broken and he should ring your mobile. PPs ..remember when he does he can hear background noises so avoid spanish bars with flamenco dancing.
regards
Harry
so glad I found you all at this site.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #8

Im gonna keep to this thread...(I use the word thread as if Im an expert in reality I havent a clue as this is also my first time in forums)
So if there are no objections Ill do my trip here and how I get on and also butt my nose (oops butt means something else over there) into the other threads as and when.
The genny fired up again. Got the water flushed but must reseach sanitation..ie exactly what to put in there. I have noticed the water pressure not that great with the water pump but im guessing thats because Im using the fresh water instead of CITY water.
The hob had never been used and at one point I thought it never will be..I searched high and low for an on off tap....eureka its in the fill point flap on the side....what an illogical place to put it...I was looking behind the fridge, bed,stereo,drivers seat....you guys dont build these things sneaky enough.
Hob works brilliant contrary to some info I read. (Not here btw)

The water pump stopped pumping....now this IS sneaky..the water level check says 2/3 full yet in reality its empty...took more than a few minutes to work that one out.

The big stuck on labels on the slides worried me as it said remove travel locks before operating slide. Actually it still has me puzzled.

Q.whats a travel lock that I should have taken off....yep you guessed it..I couldnt resist opening the three slides....wow a 2 roomed flat.With conservatory bench seats and table.

Next...Air con...I read after a google search for bt cruisers a thread here...thats how I arrived..i was going to ask a question of the thread owner but it was published 385 days ago.

The aircon scared the life out of me as it was set to max...and abruptly came on when I did something..no idea what.

This is the biggest toy I ever owned and like a kid its fun learning the hard way.

regards
Harry
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Hello Harry,
Welcome! This is truly becoming an international community ...and that is GREAT!
As you have already noted, the members here are very responsive. You will be continually amazed at how much support there is out there ...all you need to do is ask!
Take some pictures of your rig and of the interesting places you take her. We like to see how it is done across the pond.
Best wishes to you,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If that is your only mistake you are better than most. What's really discouraging is when most of us make the same mistake more than once.

Welcome Harry!
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Harry,

It's really fun discovering all the bells and whistles on these new toys, huh?

As for your question regarding slide locks... these are very important and you need to understand how they work on your coach before traveling... otherwise you might get an unwelcome surprise as a slide flies out while you round a corner! I assume you got a stack of manuals with your new unit. It would be good to find a nice quiet spot and grab a spot of tea or glass of whiskey (Scotch over here ) and begin reading through them. You won't possible retain or understand all that's in them at this point but you'll become familiar with what's available for reference to call upon later.

As for sticking with this "thread" for your access to the forum and updates on your trip, I don't think that will work very well. That would be more of a blog and not really the purpose of this forum. I'd suggest that as new issues arise, you should feel free to post them in the appropriate "sub-forums" we have available. You'll find that you'll get FAR more expertise lending a hand on particular issues in those forums than if you try to lump them together.

Again, welcome and enjoy your new toy!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #12

Ty for the hellos Goodman and Jaygee nice meeting you.

1 day into this and already i carefully placed the two sink covers made of an expensive looking hard resin type material on the edge of the similar covers covering the hob. These covers match the surrounding worktops and are a precision piece of moulding..so what did I do..I went off to the garage and a little drive about to intimidate the local traffic..who I may add were very understanding I was a left hand driver..I think they guessed as I straddled the center white line most of the time...my brain saying drive on the left but the steering wheel saying drive on the right....
On my return I opened the door to see these two pieces of resin covers,,,,,,,,,,,...still ..yes still where I had forgotten I had left them.
Lesson learned..I now have a notepad and write down what I need to do before driving off again....things like the covers, slides, and the fact the car is directly behind the rig.
Ty for the heads up Rick re blogs are the place for my ramblings...forums for questions and answers.
Q. whats a blog...ahh I see them at the top..off to explore them and see how to fit in.
If its not too against the rules can I chat here for a day or so until I get used to the site. At present I dont want to ask reactive questions of the crowd until I have had a good go at solving them. This thread is almost becoming a diary for me as I tick off the solved issues eventually I will have a few I need real help with I am sure.

One observation I have made is between the back master bedroom and the rest of the van is a pull over plastic folding door. Good for privicy, yet no such similar door between the shower and the rest which means showering people are observed by anyone in the kitchen or seating area. This matters not to me as my journey is on my own but I wonder how grown up families cope. Seems so obvious a second sliding door would make the shower private.
Regards
Harry
Old 09-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

"Ty for the heads up Rick re blogs are the place for my ramblings...forums for questions and answers.
Q. whats a blog...ahh I see them at the top..off to explore them and see how to fit in.
If its not too against the rules can I chat here for a day or so until I get used to the site. At present I dont want to ask reactive questions of the crowd until I have had a good go at solving them."

I'm sure that'll be fine. Sounds like you're having fun.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

Harry:

As an ex-pat Brit with 43 years in the US, I could probably help with translations!

If you ever make it over here, come visit. Bear in mind that we're farther from New York than you are! We live in the very top left-hand corner in a small (16,000 people) seaside town in Washington State, about 50 crow-fly miles ( 72 driving miles) from the Candian border.

Wonderful place to visit. My sister (in Leyland, Lancs.) says Anacortes is where God goes on his holidays!
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote