Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #1

Hello! New Member, Looking to Live in RV Full Time When I Retire

I'm from central NJ, and long to live simply, mobile-ly and adventurously when I retire. I'm 64, single and have three rat terriers whom I plan on traveling and RV'g with. I don't want anything too big, or too small, and I need something that I can drive easily, and perhaps can disconnect the cab from the RV if I need transportation; however, I don't want a tow situation. I think I'm going to fit in either Class B or C. Any advice on where I should start looking, or what I should look for to suit my needs? I'm in NJ.
debmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #2

With 3 Terriers I'd say at least a class A with 2-4 slides. I know you are looking for advice for B's or C's but with 3 dogs, I think a small A might be better. They make full wall slide A's these days (so they can be shorter and more maneuverable, easier to drive for a novice but still seem to have lots of room) so you might look for those in the Winnebago line.

I lived in a 36' Class A full time for 12 years WITHOUT a towed car, just had a bicycle. It was easy. Took some planning where my next hold up place would be and I tended to stay in one place for a month or more, or at least a week at a time, but living without a car was easy. I did rent a car when the RV broke down once but at $25/day, not that expensive. Whenever I had trouble with the RV, I was always able to limp along until I got to an RV park...except for those couple times I had tire trouble. But I have Coachnet Roadside Service insurance sooooo no big deal. Shopping was just a matter of driving the RV to a big box store OR stopping at one on the way to a RV park. And I'd keep a shopping list so once a week or every other week shopping was typical. And the bike to a convenience store was handy. So Google mapping was my greatest friend. Googleing "Groceries near such and such town" along my travel path or at the destination town brought up all the stores in that area.

I've since bought a nice 36' Class A and bought a towable Saturn Sedan...really liking the combination. I used to drive to attractions in the RV, but now I can just use the car.

Anyway, find your favorite floor plan RV brand, new or used, just google 'brochure for XXX model/year/brand' and go from there. Don't worry about towing a car for a while. Baby steps if you've never driven a large vehicle or towed a large trailer.

Check this one out...(keep in mind that Thor doesn't have the best quality reputation)

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad you joined our group. You are asking a question with a lot of answers. If you’re planning to live full time in the RV one concern is storage for all the things that you will find you need. A class B & C have limited storage. You also need to consider being cooped up in it during inclement weather. With three dogs a class B will be way too small for you.

In Berlin, NJ is Dylan’s RV. Take a ride and get the feel of the different models. Hopefully it can start you in the right direction.

If you’re not in a hurry the Hershey RV show is the beginning of Sept. every year. If Covid doesn’t prevent next years show, you have to go to it. It’s huge. You can easily spend 2-3 days seeing it.

Let us know if we can help you further.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would try to visit any dealers near you and look at the different classes. Check the floorplans carefully as that's something you have to live with long-term!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome !!
There are many good folks here to offer help and advice, glad you could join the party
Safe Travels!!
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:37 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Visit as many RV dealers that you can. I would also rent a unit or two for a couple of short trips to see what works and what does not work for you.

Good luck with the search and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum! Your post doesn't indicate whether you have any RV experience at all, and I'm going to respond as if you don't have any experience.

So, I would suggest that you need to get some experience and by that, you need to do some traveling, experience campgrounds and actually learn all about RV systems and spend some time and I mean the equivalent of several months in an RV.

Prior to buying anything, consider that if you are going to go full time, what possessions will you want to keep and have with you. Or to put it another way, do you have any interests that require you to bring stuff with you such as musical instruments, tools for a hobby, library of books you want to keep, etc.? Everyone is different, but the requirement for storage space is a prime consideration and different RVs can be very limiting on how much gear you can carry.

I know that you said you don't want to tow, but I suggest that you start out with a travel trailer or small fifth wheel trailer and a suitable truck/tow vehicle. You should purchase these items used. I'd suggest something in the 24 to 30 foot length and one that gives you a bedroom, bathroom and main sitting room/kitchen. After spending a lot of time with a rig this size, you will start having a better idea if you can go smaller, or need to go larger. By purchasing used, you won't lose much, if anything, by selling the trailer and/or tow vehicle. But, you will have lived in a smaller rig than most full timers want, and have a better idea how you and your dogs can live in a rather moderate amount of space for extended periods of time. You will also get experience in knowing how much room you have for gear and whether you could be happy with less storage space or more.

Having owned popup trailers, two travel trailers and now a gas motorhome, I've given thought to what we (my wife and I) would do if we have to downsize due to our age and related issues or if I were to be faced with RVing alone. For extended traveling and time, I could see downsizing to a medium sized class C that could be used as a main vehicle or possibly tow a small car behind it. As long as I could handle towing a car, I think it is a far better option as it is so much easier for parking and maneuvering when sight seeing or running basic errands.

Some of the class B units look very enticing, but if they are your only vehicle, you are dealing with a larger vehicle for all around driving and, every time you want to go somewhere, you have to disconnect hookups, retract awning(s), etc.

Another option is to consider a motorhome that is 30' or less, but again, a towed vehicle will be needed.

But, bottom line, I suggest getting some experience and I suggest a moderate travel trailer and tow vehicle, purchased used, that could be sold or traded in when you have a better idea of what type of RV will work for you. Simply looking at one is a far cry from living in one!

Good luck with your plans! Being on the road can be a great adventure and after many years of traveling via an RV, my wife and I still love to travel and explore.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome, good luck on your search. Some great advice being offered. You can also rent an RV a few times to make sure the life is what you dream it will be. Plenty of small to mid size class C units in the rental fleets, that will give you an idea of what driving one is like, what campgrounds are like, and how it all works for you.

We all get surprises when we camp. And there are questions you don't even realize you need to ask yet. Looks like you have time, ease into it and lock in your path forward.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

Welcome aboard. Glad you could join us.
So pull up a stump and set a spell.

Good advice above. However these big rv shows can be overwhelming the first time around. Take it slow. Visit your local RV dealers and just sit in a few different units. Imagine being in during a week of wet weather. Test drive the ones you like. Then rent one for a few days. Not cheap I know but not as expensive as trading it in a few months later.

Good luck and please let us know your progress. Lots of folks willing to assist.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmc View Post
I'm from central NJ, and long to live simply, mobile-ly and adventurously when I retire. I'm 64, single and have three rat terriers whom I plan on traveling and RV'g with. I don't want anything too big, or too small, and I need something that I can drive easily, and perhaps can disconnect the cab from the RV if I need transportation; however, I don't want a tow situation. I think I'm going to fit in either Class B or C. Any advice on where I should start looking, or what I should look for to suit my needs? I'm in NJ.
Sorry to suggest your list of needs may not be possible.

"Live Simply"
An RV requires the user to manage 3 to 5 power power systems and may still need to interact with a grid power company.
120 volt shore power
12 volt house battery power
12 volt engine battery power
Generator power
Solar power.

Must manage sewer and fresh water
Black water tank
Gray water tank (sometimes more than one)
Fresh water tank
Shore "city water" supply
Winter in NJ requires dealing with freezing temperatures. Most RV and TT do not allow use of plumbing when temperatures drop below 32 degrees F.

Must maintain everything a "stick and brick" house has.
Plus maintain a house that is frequently subject to earth quake like shaking and vibration while it is driven.

"... disconnect the cab from the RV if I need transportation; however, I don't want a tow ..."
A pickup truck camper may do what you want, but space will be severely limited. Dismounting the house side is a pain in the butt. A motor home or travel trailer would require towing a car or towing the TT.

Note: Slide outs rarely do well with snow and freezing rain.

I recommend you rent various options and test possibilities in short excursions until you get a feel for the possibilities.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, new member