Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

Here I come!

Wow...so many posts! I am presently preparing to retire and hit the road full time. Right now I'm seeking my RV (Class C), information, advice, a direction, and anything else I can gather. I'm pretty much on my own and scared to death financially, emotionally, etc. But I'm excited, too, about all the possibilities and dreams that may materialize. I'm delighted and reinforced to have found this sight! I'm hoping to start here with encouragement and support, and some friendly connections into the RV life. Hoping to find a group to join when I'm ready to leave in a couple of months, but can't afford the preset $5-6000 ones. As they say, I'm trying to eat an elephant one bite at a time, but it feels like his whole body is in my face at the moment.
Buppalepcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
IF the perspective coach seems a bit small but still "DO-Able" .......REMEMBER!!!
What seemed small... becomes unbearably TINY after being Coop'd up" for a week or more due to weather...

(AKA.....Cabin Fever)
And.... You WILL make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting

Remember!!!!
Every day you "put off" retiring...is just one LESS day you have remaining to enjoy being RETIRED !!!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. The learning is curve is long but thankfully steep only the beginning.

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

welcome are you saying $5000.00 is to much to spend?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
welcome are you saying $5000.00 is to much to spend?
$5k/$6k????ugh!
Gotta hope that is a mis-type..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Nooooooo...

I was talking about $5-6000 for those pre-paid tour caravans, not the rig I'm looking for. And thanks for the hints....covered most of them, and paying attention
Old 02-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

Age of Vehicle?

As a nube, I'm trying to find an RV 10 years or less old. I'm gonna use a professional inspector, but is that a good base? If I can find the right older one, it would be fine, but I picked up somewhere that some places don't like older rigs staying with them. Is that right?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buppalepcien View Post
As a nube, I'm trying to find an RV 10 years or less old. I'm gonna use a professional inspector, but is that a good base? If I can find the right older one, it would be fine, but I picked up somewhere that some places don't like older rigs staying with them. Is that right?
Some RV parks prohibit (sort of) RVs older than 10 years. However, many will allow an older RV there if you provide a picture of the rig. They do this to avoid RVs in poor condition that may break down in the park and be abandoned.

However, there are almost always a lot of other nearby RV parks that really want your money. As for the parks that don't want me and my well maintained older travel trailer (TT) I like what Grouch Marx said. To paraphrase him, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." LOL

Also, from seeing comments on this forum, you may want to broaden your search by looking at small Class A motor homes (MH). Many Class C MHs have a small cargo capacity and limited storage. However, a small Class A is likely to have a higher cargo capacity and more storage due to their different chassis even if it is the same length as a Class C.

Another consideration you'll see suggested a lot on this forum is to find a floor plan that meets your needs and you like. Good luck in your search. Please keep us informed. And feel free to ask lots of questions.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote