Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Hey From Florida

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum hoping to get some good info on repairing an RV I was given. But first a little about myself.

I'm a retired Coast Guardsman with 23yrs active duty. I've sailed aboard 2 different cutters, flown and served in 2 different helos and one fixed wing aircraft. All this was while I was enlisted. My rate was Aviation Machinist Mate so I'm not afraid to do my own repairs. I went to OCS, served for 10yrs as an officer and retired down in Miami, FL.

I am a native Floridian and grew up in the Panhandle mostly around the Tallahassee area.

I am currently living in Tampa with my beautiful wife of 33yrs, I am serving as an associate pastor at my church, I have 7 children, 5 of which are married and have 7 grandchildren with two on the way.

Ok, now on to the RV. Back in the spring I was contacted by a fella that had an RV to give away. It's a 1994 Itasca Suncruiser. He was told about my desire to have a camper trailer or something like that by a friend of mine at church. The reason for my desire to have one was to put on some hunting land I have access to and to do some lite travel around Florida with my wife. Anyhow, the RV started life as a rolling MRI lab and was outfitted with two 7000 watt Onan Generators and three 1 ton a/c units. 1 generator is gone but the 3 a/c units are still on it. It has no windows but the previous owner started outfitting it back into an RV so the interior has the dinette, galley w/microwave & refrigerator, etc. It has a shower/tub combo, toilet, full bed, hide-a-bed couch and all the cabnetry, TV, DVD, stereo etc. So basically it's all outfitted to camp with the exception of a bathroom sink.

Now the issues. It had a roof leak at the forward most a/c unit right behind the cab that basically rotted the roof luan on top & bottom plus rotted the entire floor out under the leak. I ripped up all the flooring that was bad and replaced it. It's now good and solid. My problem is repairing the damaged roof section.

I have purchased 1/4" luan plywood to repair the underside and was pretty successful removing all the rotted luan that was attached to the blue foam. I then glued the new section (appx 4x8) onto the foam and braced it up until the glue dried for 3 days. Now my issue is getting to the roofing that was damaged. The leak was not a breach in the roofing material but the seal at the forward a/c unit so it could have been a real easy fix if it would have been caught earlier.

Any help in the roof repair would be great. Photos even better. I'll have a LOT more questions as I dig into this thing I'm sure.

Thanks for reading this long post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv10.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	30470   Click image for larger version

Name:	roofleak.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	30471  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotted floor2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	693.2 KB
ID:	30472   Click image for larger version

Name:	new subfloor.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	30473  

9dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2. This site is amazing. Sorry I can't help you with any of your questions, but there are alot of folks here that I am sure will be able to help you out. You may want to check out the Vintage RVs forum here also, alot of people on that forum who do alot of their own repairs. I am planning on going to the Tampa, FL area to live, hopefully in a TT in a 55+ RV park. Blessings to you and yours and good luck with your RV project.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

Good luck with the new rig and you renovations.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome! That looks like quite a project you have there! Good luck.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello! I can't help with any of your questions, so I will just welcome you to the forum. Good luck getting the rig ready to travel.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi and welcome to IRV2! We're really glad you decided to join the bunch here!
I had a problem with the roof on a 5th wheel so hopefully I may be able to steer you in the right direction. While washing the top I found a soft spot and on closer inspection found two small holes in the rubber roof, no doubt from tree limbs. I took a razor knife and slit the rubber in an "X", two opposite directions, until I was just past the rotted wood below. In my case the leak was small enough that nothing below the roof was damaged. I cleaned out all the rotted wood and cut a piece of 1/4" plywood about two inches larger than the hole. I slid the plywood under the rubber roofing, centering it over the hole, and secured it with wood screws to the solid wood underneath. I then coated the top of the wood patch with sealant that was approved for use with rubber roofing and put the rubber back into place on top of the wood patch. Then I used 4" wide Eternabond roof sealing tape and covered a square area about 2" wider than the cuts I had made in the rubber.
I have checked the repair from time to time, and it still looks great! I don't think I will ever have another problem with it.
Hope this helps! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi and welcome to IRV2! We're really glad you decided to join the bunch here!
I had a problem with the roof on a 5th wheel so hopefully I may be able to steer you in the right direction. While washing the top I found a soft spot and on closer inspection found two small holes in the rubber roof, no doubt from tree limbs. I took a razor knife and slit the rubber in an "X", two opposite directions, until I was just past the rotted wood below. In my case the leak was small enough that nothing below the roof was damaged. I cleaned out all the rotted wood and cut a piece of 1/4" plywood about two inches larger than the hole. I slid the plywood under the rubber roofing, centering it over the hole, and secured it with wood screws to the solid wood underneath. I then coated the top of the wood patch with sealant that was approved for use with rubber roofing and put the rubber back into place on top of the wood patch. Then I used 4" wide Eternabond roof sealing tape and covered a square area about 2" wider than the cuts I had made in the rubber.
I have checked the repair from time to time, and it still looks great! I don't think I will ever have another problem with it.
Hope this helps! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
That's kind of what I was thinking. My delamination is a little more extensive than just a small cut in the roofing material would take care of. I was thinking I would cut from side to side about a 4x8 section and peel back the top layer of roofing to expose the rotted luan, then just scrape it off like I did on the ceiling underneath. Then I would replace the luan with a new sheet of 1/4" and glue it to the blue foam with some PL300. The only question would be what to attach the roofing material back to the topside of the luan. I saw elsewhere on this site someone suggested fiberglass resin but I don't know.

Oh, and how do you get a picture in your signature. I tried everything but couldn't get it to work...

Tags
florida