Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

Hi Forum Fam - Newbie-do-be-do

Hi All,
Actually, I'm newbie to this forum, but have had 33 camp trips since 2017. I'm greatful to be aboard. My name is Al. I've been married 42 years to my wonderful soul mate Chontae. We camp out with our grandkids most of the time, (no parents allowed), and then my wife and I get out alone for some of the trips. Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for all the info and support you give. I've witnessed this by ghosting this site for a while.

Now, to start out with a (maybe) problem I have:

I bought a 2013 Yukon 4X4, SLE, 88,000 miles with what looked like the towing package: 7 pin conector, hitch, tow mode switch. And…..then, after signing on the dotted line – found out it had the dreaded 3.08 gear setup. Max payload on this Yukon = 1606, Tow capacity is 5200 lbs. I had thought I was getting the heavy duty tow package with 3.42 gears and K5L cooling. I knee jerked the purchase without better investigation and now I’m in suffer mode. I really love the vehicle’s looks, feel, driving, MPG, and if I can somehow make this work, I could become a happy camper. Also, I possibly shot myself in the foot by buying an extended waranty through AUL for 100000 miles/5 years for the drive train. I called AUL and asked them if I could install a transmission cooler, and they said my contract has no restrictions. Just have the shop doing the installation call them first. Still worries me. I realize that nothing I can do will raise the legal tow capacity. I’m wondering if adding an auxiliary transmission cooler, and possibly 3.73 gear, axel could make it safer. I have towed this same trailer for 4 years (Eight – 50 to 200 mile trips per summer) with a Buick Enclave + factory tow package with a capacity of 4500 lbs. Never had a problem with this setup, and actually went from michigan to Wyoming and back 1 time and it did just fine. It (Buick) started getting on in years and miles (127,000) and I decided to retire it to just being my work vehicle.
Here are some specs of the Trailer and Yukon.
Trailer is a 2017 KZ Escape 191BH:
446 tongue weight
3233 unloaded trailer weight
3922 actual scale weight for camping, Yukon weight 5467, + 780 for people and luggage = 10169
Total weight allotment for Yukon, trailer, and people, cargo 11,000
Any votes for:
1. Keep it and add transmission cooler ($300)
2. Keep it and add transmission cooler, and 3.73 gears (4X4 so two axels = $4000)
3. Sell it (take a big loss) and buy an Expedition with HD TRAILER PACKAGE THIS TIME……. Wife says it has to be an SUV.
I really appreciate your help on this.
abelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

Smile

Well, first of all welcome to the forum.

Now here is my 2 cents and it may not be worth that much.

Based on the info you provided, I would not add anything and just use the Yukon as is. As you stated the vehicle has a tow capacity of 5200 and your trailer is only 3922, this leaves you a little over 1000lbs to spare. You also stated the the cargo capacity was 1606 and you are only carrying 750, that's less than half of your capacity.

You never mentioned the engine it has, I am not sure but I think there were 2 options.

I do not see any reason why this vehicle will not meet your current needs. I admit you do not have much room to upsize to a larger trailer in the future, but you did not say you were looking to do this.

I will reserve my opinion on extended warranties.

I am sure others will have more and differing inputs on all of this.

But as I said it is my 2 cents.

Most of all enjoy your camping trips and again welcome to the forum.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #3

Thanks! I have the 5.3 L 6 speed transmission in my Yukon. I have to say, when I first saw it, it was love at first sight. Probably why I signed quickly without checking it out thoroughly. Anyway, since it has a transmission temp gauge, I could watch it like a hawk first before adding a auxiliary cooler. I live in upper Michigan (LeRoy) where there are a few hills, but no mountains of course. Thanks again! Your response cheered me up.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your cheapest solution would be to put a pancake fan in front of your radiator, on a toggle switch. Next up the cost ladder would be to add a PPE deep transmission pan, double sized filter and transmission temperature guage.
I did that to our w-22 chassis w/ the GM 8.1 gasser, and it made towing a breeze.......... AND we tow 8K.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #5

Just a comment on #3. Don't assume that selling will be a big loss. Used cars are in high demand.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can. Sorry I can't add anything as we roll in a MH, but good luck.

Continue to enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #7

Thanks! I'll look into the PPE..
Old 11-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #8

Thanks! Glad to be here.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Newbie-do-be-do
Made me smile

Welcome to the board.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:12 AM   #10

😁kind of Scooby do
Old 11-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #12

PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, newbie