RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hi, from Mississippi heading to Alaska

We just purchased a 2002 Newmar Kountry Star and are looking forward to going to Alaska in late June. Just saw the discussion on tightening bolts on the slides which was very informative. Were also wondering if its a good practice to use slid supports while having them out for an extended time. I do believe we are going to get a lot of our questions answered by joining this forum. We both have owned motor homes and travel trailers years ago, but this Newmar is like starting from the beginning and being newbies!

Tuffy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

Hi from an Alaskan!

You've got an adventure ahead of you. Vehicle and trip prep are the keys to success!

rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Trip prep is why we signed up. Learning all we can, hoping it will save us aggravation, heartache and dollars.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the gang! Join us on the 'Alaska, Canada, Mexico & Beyond' forum for discussions about Alaska prep and travel ...

See you on the highway ...
Old 02-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the rig and up coming trip.

You are joining a good group of folks with good info to share. Read the various forums here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffy Cat View Post
Were also wondering if its a good practice to use slid supports while having them out for an extended time.
My $0.02 : If the slide support is between the body and the slide then no harm. If it is between the slide and the ground then body movement (wind, people moving inside, earthquakes, etc.) or jacks settling can cause excessive upwards stress on the slide.

Welcome aboard!
CathedralCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Slide support

Thanks so much, CatherdralCub for your $0.02 worth of advice. I was considering ordering the supports today. Your analogy makes a lot of sense and I will forget the supports. Already, Im seeing the worth of joining this group.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you done a shakedown trip or two yet?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A few little things I took care of before we hit the road to Alaska last year!
7 New Michilan Tires. 7 Mounting Balance, Eng Air Cleaner, Eng Oil Filter, Eng 3 fuel Filters, Eng Belts, Rottela 5gal, Onan Generator 3 Filters, Trans Fluid, Trans Filter, Air Dryer HalDex Kit DQ6026, Fuel Transfer Pump, 4 Bilstien Shocks, 4 Air Springs SAF Holland, 4 Brake diaphragm and chamber, Wiper Blades,Thermastat, Filter, Cooling Hose's, FleetGuard Restore Cleaner, Antifreeze 10 Gal, Distilled Water, All Radiator hoses, Valve Cover gasket, ScanGauge D, TruckAline frontEnd Alingnment, Express Paint Touchup Paint, TPMS, TPMS Extender,Toad Tow Bar ,Toad Breakaway Switch, Toad BrakeMaster Brake Sys,Toad Air dump Valve, Toad Air Brake Tube, Toad Air Brake Coil hose 6',"Toad Air Brake 1/4"" ball valve",Toad Light wiring cable,Toad CIRCUIT BREAKER 12V R22 15A,2 Wheel Chocks, EternaBond RoofSeal Tape,EternaBond Caulk Roof,Weather strip Air Cond, Bath Vent, Air Cond Covers 2, Bath Skylight CD16X24, Toilet Riser, Water Regulator, Sewer Hose, Drawer Rails, RV antifreeze,door lock. Chrome Wheel Lug Remover, Torque Multiplyer Wheel Lug, Protect-A-Tow
Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your trip to Alaska. I have been to Alaska and rented a Motor Home and had a blast. My 02. is I would not take my own rig there. The roads are not all that bad in most places but still a lot of wear and tear. I hope to get back in a couple years but I'll just rent from Great Alaskan Holidays again.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you done a shakedown trip or two yet?
We drove RV home about 600 miles after purchase but haven’t haven’t gone anywhere to camp yet. The weather here in northern Mississippi has been just too rainy. We’re considering boon docking in the backyard to get a feel for the RV and camping!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #12

Boondocking in the back yard. Yep, done that. Got the tee shirt. A great way to get a feel for your rig and learn its faults and quirks.
The bottom line is you need to get to know it. Drive it locally in familiar roads as well. This way you learn slowly, gently and easily without strangers watching .
Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Backyard Boondocking

Xmcdog, thanks for the suggestions to get to know our rig. Im scared to push any buttons or flip any switches, they are everywhere and no manual to say what they do. Did not consider videotaping the dealer as he gave us the fast walk thru.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:16 AM   #14

Scared to hit the switches? Yep I've been there and I suggest you ask the folks on the site. There are some wonderful people here who are only too happy to assist. Post some pix of the switches in question and someone who has a similar rig will be happy to answer your concerns. must admit I just hit each switch and watched what happened. i do have a couple of switches that I never did find out what they were for. Lol. However your rig is more complex than mine.

At the present DW and I are vacationing in New Zealand for a month. It is great to keep in touch with the RV life even from here.

Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska