Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
mdwy,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your trip to Alaska as we are enjoying ours too.
Right now we are in Sterling which is just North of Soldotna at Alaska Canoe and RV park which is nice and the price is right. We toured the Kenai today and saw the Russian church there as well as the beach. Go to "the moose is loose" Soldotna as there pastries are great.Tomorrow we are heading to Fred Meyers lot for 3 nights of free camping and then onto Homer and Homer Spit. Haven't done any fishing yet but hope to do some in the next few days. From there it will be to Seward and Valdez, etc.

We enjoyed Dawson City and the Dome and had a good time there however the road in Canada was rough but paved and when we crossed the border into the US the road was full of potholes and washboard and muddy . I still haven't gotten it all off and I washed the rig three times. In fact a Newmar Dutch Star ran off the road there and I couldn't go over 10 mph at times. It was bad news and I wouldn't recommend that road to anyone. The scenery so far in Alaska has been great and at times spectacular. We weren't too impressed with Fairbanks or Anchorage but I guess it was because of too many people and too much traffic.

Well enjoy your trip and maybe we willmeet up with you somewhere, just look for my RV and look for the ITV2 stickers on rear mud flap.

Also glad you are having a great time! We are also in Alaska, but have to disagree with post about Fairbanks, the second largest city, but still small, only about 35,000 live here, not near as much traffic as Anchorage and south. There is lots to do in Fairbanks and the area, riverboat cruises, gold panning tours, North Pole and Santa Village, the museum at the University, the Large Animal Research Farm, the wildlife at Creamers Field, train tours from here to Denali and other places, dancing and salmon dinners at Pioneer Park, and more that I haven't discovered yet.
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Capt Jack, my wife and I Rved to Alaska last year and really enjoyed Fairbanks. We liked the Pioneer Park feast that we went there a couple of times!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #59

Hi guys, we're in Seward, moving from Seward Military Resort to City Campground....where we will look out on Resurrection Bay, with hookups. Yesterday morning it was partly cloudy and mountains nicely clear, then yesterday afternoon it became overcast and rained thru the night. better this AM. We will stay here about 1 week then head for Soldotna & Homer etc.
mdwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #60

If you are going to fish, I recommend, PRO-FISH-N-SEA charters. I fished with them in 2006 and in 2009. Excellent! On your way to Soldotna, stop at the Russian River CG. Ran by the USFS. Excellent CG and the fishing is very good. Watch out for the bears, there are usually plenty of them fishing also. In Soldotna, the Fred Myers allows camping, or at least they did.
One other thing, if you get back to Fairbanks and didn't go to the Museum at the university there, make sure you do. it is very interesting.
Safe travels.....
SemperFi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #61

Hey everyone!
We made it to Homer and are on the spit chasing the kings in the fishing hole. Stop by and say hi if you are in the area. I'll be here another week or so. The Presidio and green truck are on site 2 at the south side of the spit. Weather is nice today. Will do clamming next week and one more fishing trip.
Fred Meyer at Saldotna allows camping, 3 nite max. They also offer dump and water services. Sites on the spit offer dry camping with dump and wAter available for 15.00/nite or you can use the private CG with full hookups for more $$$. see you soon!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
MdWy
Hi we are in Soldotna and will be leaving tomorrow 7/14 for Seward. We had 2 good days of weather and now it is back to rain again, so what else is new.

For those camping at Fred Meyers they allow 3 nights free and then you have to leave for 2 days and then you can come back again for 3 days. The prices in the store are out of site though.

There is a brand new Wal-Mart, Lowes and Home Depot in Kenai, just follow the Kenai Spur Highway and you will run into it.

I had a great time in Homer and went Halibut fishing at Central Charter for $89.00 for 1/2 day for seniors. It was 2 hours out, 2 hours fishing, and 2 hours back. Saw Whale, otters and puffins too. I caught 2 Halibut and after they were filleted there was 15 lbs of Halibut. My DW made it for supper and it was delicious. I had brought 3 pounds back to RV and the rest vacuum packed a flash frozen which is in our freezer in RV. The halibut everyone caught was the same size, in fact they tell us the bigger the halibut the tougher. All in all it was a fun day.

Overall we like Alaskan scenery and the attractions but the roads need work. I did try my luck Red Salmon fishing but didn't have any luck as they are not in yet but will be by the end of the month however we won't be here.

Have a great time and keep and eye out for my Winnebago!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote